• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Overlooked for Driving vacancies

Status
Not open for further replies.

Geesik447

Hi, this is my first post on here, not sure if this is the right place but I'm just looking for people's opinions on this matter and if there's anything I can do.

I am a groundstaff member at my local yard and applied for a driving position at said yard. I passed my aptitude test 2 months ago and have just had my interview with my own PM and APM for a position. There were 3 available.

I have been groundstaff here for 7 months and worked as a fitter for 18 months at a different depot with the same company for 18 months. I transferred to the yard I'm at now due to compassionate reasons. Anyway the 3 positions available at my yard have been filled by non railway people for these drivers roles and I feel like I have been massively overlooked, being told I came 4th so I didn't get a position. Being on the railway for 2 years, working at the yard where the positions were available, knowledge of the yard and routes, PTS qualified as well as a qualified fitter, surely makes me prime contender for a position, especially when, to my knowledge these people are straight off the street.

The reason I got for not getting a position wS that I'm not settled enough!!!!
What a load of tripe!!!

Anyways if anyone has any helpful information about where I could go from here, if there's any way if can appeal it or something along those lines would be greatly appreciated

Many thanks

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

BestWestern

Established Member
Sorry to hear that you missed out. However, I would advise strongly against making too much of a fuss over this. Ultimately the company are entitled to offer a job to whoever they like, nobody has an automatic entitlement due to their current position within the company, or for any other reason. You are very highly unlikely to be awarded a position at the expense of another candidate who has already been successful, and more importantly you may very well jepardise your career potential for the future by allowing yourself to be seen as a trouble maker. Many companies would go out of their way to avoid offering you the role in the future, and it is alarmingly easy for them to create waves with any other operator you may apply to for the same job if they are inclined to do so.

My advice would be to swallow the pill for the time being, keep a a careful hold of your competence and keep looking elsrwhere.

TDK

Established Member
Hi, this is my first post on here, not sure if this is the right place but I'm just looking for people's opinions on this matter and if there's anything I can do.

I am a groundstaff member at my local yard and applied for a driving position at said yard. I passed my aptitude test 2 months ago and have just had my interview with my own PM and APM for a position. There were 3 available.

I have been groundstaff here for 7 months and worked as a fitter for 18 months at a different depot with the same company for 18 months. I transferred to the yard I'm at now due to compassionate reasons. Anyway the 3 positions available at my yard have been filled by non railway people for these drivers roles and I feel like I have been massively overlooked, being told I came 4th so I didn't get a position. Being on the railway for 2 years, working at the yard where the positions were available, knowledge of the yard and routes, PTS qualified as well as a qualified fitter, surely makes me prime contender for a position, especially when, to my knowledge these people are straight off the street.

What a load of tripe!!!

Anyways if anyone has any helpful information about where I could go from here, if there's any way if can appeal it or something along those lines would be greatly appreciated

Many thanks

This may have something to do with it?

Monty

Established Member
It may just be that the other candidates performed better than you during the interview. Sounds harsh but it's the most likely reason, it just goes to show that if you come from within the industry you do not get preferential treatment. Though saying the the successful candidates could of indeed been railway workers from other companies. Sorry you didn't get the job, I would advise you request some written feedback and then talk to your LDC rep before thinking about lodging a complaint.

Gemz91

Best thing to do is ask for feed back from your interview, and what areas you can improve on. Also try get a good working relationship with the managers and HR staff who are likely to interview in future (good, but not creepy).

Clip

Established Member
This may have something to do with it?

As we dont know the reasons then thats a bit harsh - family issues, bereavement, wanting to be near estranged children can all play a part in a relocation.

All I can say OP is what BestWestern said. Dont take it to heart. work on your current role, prove to them you are an asset to them and then go for it again.

Just remember, how you do your role now always reflects on how you will be perceived for any future promotion.

Beveridges

Established Member
What a load of tripe!!!

I got the same. Like you, I used to move around a lot in my company. I held three different jobs in my first 3 years on the railway and I transferred depots TWICE in my current depot driver role. I never settled anywhere and it went against me when I applied for driving roles on the mainline a few years ago.

JAMBO

I will agree on that, what a silly comment to make that he never got the job because of a compassionate move! The other candidates may simply have had a better interview on the day. I take it this is for a freight job? I wouldn't hang on it, other opportunities will come around again that's for sure and at least you will know what to expect :D

J123

Maybe the company weren't prepared to replace you in your current role. If you went off to drive then the TOC may need to search for someone to cover you at short notice. I finished a course in business studies at college and learned that internal recruitment can be disruptive to a company.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.