• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Oxford to Gillingam (Dorset) via Weybridge

Gagravarr

I'm trying to figure out what ticket or tickets I'd need to buy to be able to do:
  • Day 1, weekday afternoon - Oxford to Gillingam (Dorset)
  • Day 2, weekend afternoon - Gillingam (Dorset) to Weybridge
  • Day 2, weekend evening - Weybridge to Oxford
I can't seem to get an journey planners to give me a price for "Oxford to Gillingham via London" or "Oxford to Gillingham via Virginia Water", which were my initial thoughts for what I'd need to do it on one ticket. So I think that means I need 2+ tickets?

It seems that Oxford to Weybridge is valid on cheaper tickets via Basingstoke as well as Virginia Water. That makes me think that "Oxford to Weybridge" off peak return not via London, and "Basingstoke to Gillingham" off peak return, is one combination that should work. Does anyone know of any other combinations that might work and be cheaper?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

jfollows

Established Member
Oxford to Gillingham does not have a permitted route via London, Reading-Basingstoke-Salisbury is the closest.
Oxford to Weybridge has permitted routes via London, Reading/Ascot and Reading/Basingstoke. Also cheaper fares “Reading not London”.

Last edited:

Veteran Member
I'm trying to figure out what ticket or tickets I'd need to buy to be able to do:
  • Day 1, weekday afternoon - Oxford to Gillingam (Dorset)
  • Day 2, weekend afternoon - Gillingam (Dorset) to Weybridge
  • Day 2, weekend evening - Weybridge to Oxford
It seems that Oxford to Weybridge is valid on cheaper tickets via Basingstoke as well as Virginia Water. That makes me think that "Oxford to Weybridge" off peak return not via London, and "Basingstoke to Gillingham" off peak return, is one combination that should work. Does anyone know of any other combinations that might work and be cheaper?
Unfortunately, the outward journey on an Offpeak Return has to be completed the same day, so your suggestion doesn't cover Basingstoke  to Weybridge.

Oxford to Gillingham plus Basingstoke to Weybridge would work - except that there are only same-day return fares for that leg, which is common for shorter distances.
So you would need Basingstoke to Weybridge and Weybridge to Reading singles, unless one of our experts has a better idea.

(Sorry, you are doing both legs the same day, ignore that.)

Last edited:

jfollows

Established Member
Oxford to Gillingham off-peak return
Basingstoke to Weybridge day return
return Weybridge-Basingstoke-Oxford, breaking your return journey from Gillingham to Oxford at Basingstoke

kieron

Established Member
I can't seem to get an journey planners to give me a price for "Oxford to Gillingham via London" or "Oxford to Gillingham via Virginia Water", which were my initial thoughts for what I'd need to do it on one ticket. So I think that means I need 2+ tickets?
There are return tickets which would let you do what you want (a "via London" Leamington-Gillingham return ticket would allow a route via Oxford and Weybridge, and selecting a journey via Slough should get the route to show up), but the only tickets from Oxford which let you go via London are to stations which are further north or east.
Basingstoke to Weybridge day return
Basingstoke to Weybridge evening return would be cheaper, and just as valid.

Gagravarr

Oxford to Gillingham, off peak return, is £64.60.

Leamington Spa to Gillingham, off peak return, is £96.40 not via London or £121.90 via London. Basingstoke to Weybridge + Weybridge to Reading is less than that price difference, so sadly the Leamington option isn't worth doing

However, it did get me thinking to try some other stations. Interestingly, a Hanborough to Gillingham super off peak return is only £58.00, and is valid at the times I want to travel. (GWR priced instead of Cross Country)

So, best so far seems to be: Hanborough to Gillingham super off peak return (£58) + Basingstoke to Weybridge evening out return (£17.30)