• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Oxfordshire-Heathrow(-Berlin-)Gatwick-Oxfordshire

Status
Not open for further replies.

GWRjake

Hi all. I'm looking for the most cost effective way of travelling from Oxfordshire-Heathrow on Tuesday 27th October, arriving at around 0715 (and hence experiencing peak times), and returning from Gatwick on the afternoon of Friday 30th. I can see a number of options:
-Train Didcot/Cholsey-Hayes & Harlington-Heathrow, Gatwick-Reading-Didcot/Cholsey.
-"The Airline" coach Oxford-Heathrow, Gatwick-Oxford
-Oxford Tube/X90 coach from Oxford-Victoria and return, Underground to Heathrow and Train from Gatwick back to Victoria.

(My travelling companion and I are both 16-25 railcard holders)

Ideas please? Thanks :)

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

andrewkeith5

To start with, it'd be useful where in Oxfordshire you're travelling from - that changes the reasonable options somewhat! I'll assume as you mentioned Didcot that you're around Didcot Parkway somewhere.

My initial thinking would be either to just get the Airline coach (£23 to Heathrow + £28 from Gatwick = £51), or:

Didcot to Reading Anytime Day Single £6.00
RailAir to Heathrow Single Railcard Discounted £11.20
>>EDIT: Before 10am the Railcard Minimum Fare applies, making the £18.55 Didcot > Heathrow through fare cheaper.
Gatwick to Didcot Off-Peak Day Single £15.85 - this would be on the direct Gatwick>Reading service, not via London)
Total = £33.05, EDIT: (or £34.40 if travelling to Heathrow before 10AM as OP is) all prices include railcard discount

A Didcot to Heathrow (via RailAir) Anytime Day Single is £18.55 so slightly more expensive than individual tickets. Splitting the Gatwick to Didcot leg at Reading is a couple of quid more expensive too.

Last edited:

James Wake

I think the Airline coach would be best, as I'm sure you can get a ticket to enable you to travel out to Heathrow and back from Gatwick. The best way by train from Gatwick to Oxford on the way back is to catch a semi-fast Reading then change there for Oxford.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
That's a good call by Andrew, then you will need:
A Oxford to Reading open return (if there is one)
RailAir single to Heathrow
Gatwick to Reading single on a direct FGW train.

andrewkeith5

I think the Airline coach would be best, as I'm sure you can get a ticket to enable you to travel out to Heathrow and back from Gatwick. The best way by train from Gatwick to Oxford on the way back is to catch a semi-fast Reading then change there for Oxford.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
That's a good call by Andrew, then you will need:
A Oxford to Reading open return (if there is one)
RailAir single to Heathrow
Gatwick to Reading single on a direct FGW train.

See my above update.... unfortunately no Open returns from Didcot and no reasonably priced ones from Oxford....

Unfortunately as far as I'm aware it's only the season tickets for the Airline that can be used on either service, and only if you buy the more expensive Gatwick one. In my experience the coach is actually pretty poor value for anyone with a railcard :(

EDIT: My apologies, I missed the teeny bit at the bottom of the fares page on the Airline - if you buy a Gatwick return at £32 (day/next day) or £37 (up to 3 months) then you can travel back from Heathrow. Still doesn't change the best option for OP though unless you're only going for the day or one night. Even then the time difference is likely to be reasonably significant...

Last edited:

GWRjake

Sorry for any confusion as to whereabouts in Oxfordshire. It would be Didcot or Cholsey for the train or Oxford for the coach. Cheers so far anyhow :)

andrewkeith5

Sorry for any confusion as to whereabouts in Oxfordshire. It would be Didcot or Cholsey for the train or Oxford for the coach. Cheers so far anyhow :)

In that case, I'd go with what I proposed above - unless it's a few quid cheaper for you to get to Oxford rather than Didcot, or someone else can come up with something cheaper!

Paul Kelly

Verified Rep - BR Fares
I would recommend:
Outward: Cholsey to Hayes & Harlington, Anytime Day Single NOT VIA LONDON £13.35 with Railcard
Oyster PAYG or Contactless on 140 bus from Hayes & Harlington to Heathrow Central Bus Station (15 mins): £1.50
Return: Gatwick Airport to Cholsey, Off-Peak Day Single NOT VIA LONDON £15.85 with Railcard

Total £30.70

I find the Hayes & Harlington --> 140 bus option to be very time-competitive with getting the Railair coach from Reading, and quicker than changing to Heathrow Connect at Hayes & Harlington, because the latter doesn't connect very well with trains from Reading/Slough for most of the day.

James Wake

I would recommend:
Outward: Cholsey to Hayes & Harlington, Anytime Day Single NOT VIA LONDON £13.35 with Railcard
Oyster PAYG or Contactless on 140 bus from Hayes & Harlington to Heathrow Central Bus Station (15 mins): £1.50
Return: Gatwick Airport to Cholsey, Off-Peak Day Single NOT VIA LONDON £15.85 with Railcard

Total £30.70

I find the Hayes & Harlington --> 140 bus option to be very time-competitive with getting the Railair coach from Reading, and quicker than changing to Heathrow Connect at Hayes & Harlington, because the latter doesn't connect very well with trains from Reading/Slough for most of the day.

Good idea Indigo2, if the 140 is terminated before Heathrow, just get a transfer voucher off the driver for the next bus on any route towards Heathrow. It also means a direct train and not a lot of bus or coach travel. On the way back get a Gatwick to Reading train and change there for Cholsey. Be at the back of the train from Gatwick as the train reverses at Redhill and you can be at the front for Reading, in case you have a tight connection.

hassaanhc

Established Member
Good idea Indigo2, if the 140 is terminated before Heathrow, just get a transfer voucher off the driver for the next bus on any route towards Heathrow. It also means a direct train and not a lot of bus or coach travel. On the way back get a Gatwick to Reading train and change there for Cholsey. Be at the back of the train from Gatwick as the train reverses at Redhill and you can be at the front for Reading, in case you have a tight connection.

The Harlington Corner to Heathrow bit is free anyway.

Also: Which terminal is the flight from at Heathrow? :idea: for T2 or T3 the 140 is fine, but for the others you need to change bus:
T4: 90 to Hatton Cross (do not use 140), then 482/490.
T5: 140 to Harlington Corner, then 423.

Last edited:

hassaanhc

Established Member
An easier option for T5 is bus number 350 from West Drayton station

https://tfl.gov.uk/bus/route/350/

*Hangs head in shame* :oops: :( How on earth could I forget that route?! It has my favourite buses (Euro 6 E400H) and the route is very good too. It starts from H&H as well :P (of course there is no point boarding it there ;)) and is empty outside the start and end times at Stockley Park, good if you have luggage.

Status
Not open for further replies.