• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Oyster Card Discounts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Basher

I have just recently purchased an Oyster card as I believe I can get a discounted fare with my disabled persons card. Help needed on how to register for the discount would be appreciated. Thanks

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

jon81uk

Walk up to a member of staff near the ticket machines at an Underground station and ask them to add Railcard discount.

DaveB10780

Walk up to a member of staff near the ticket machines at an Underground station and ask them to add Railcard discount.
And also make sure you look over their shoulder to ensure they have set the correct type which is different to the other Railcards. Inexperienced staff members do not always get this correct.

Merseysider

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Some forum members have reported problems getting this done at various locations, but hopefully you'll get someone who knows how to do it first time.

FWIW I've had a railcard added to my Oyster at Euston (Underground) the last 13 years in a row and they've always done it immediately (and correctly!) there.

Last edited:

MrJeeves

Established Member
Marylebone was very helpful to me and my friend, and I've also had success at Wembley Central in the past.

Vespa

Established Member
Had mine done at Canary Wharf during one of quiet periods no problems, they can't do 3 years of expiry only a maximum of two so I'll have to go back before year two is up and redo it again.

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Kings Cross St Pancras is normally a decent place to get this done. I use the tube ticket hall and usually manage to get my Gold Card discoujt added without any trouble.

MrJeeves

Established Member
Had mine done at Canary Wharf during one of quiet periods no problems, they can't do 3 years of expiry only a maximum of two so I'll have to go back before year two is up and redo it again.
I had mine done for 3 years...

njr001

I‘ve never had a problem of three year’s although sometimes cards expire after 3 years and a few days and this is a problem. You need to ensure that a disabled railcard is selected as this gives a discount at peak times as well as off peak. Recently when requested a disabled railcard to be added the CSA added just the national railcard option and insisted this was correct. I then went to another station where the correct option was selected.

MikeWh

Established Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
The machines will only accept expiry dates up to exactly 3 years. Most 3 year cards arrive in the post with an extra day or two, which does pose a problem. It's a real bind. There doesn't appear to be a definitive workaround. You might get 2 years added so at least the day and month are correct. My advice would be to go back once the expiry is within 3 years and get it corrected.

Coolzac

I remember my Mum saying that while she had a 3 year senior Railcard, hers was only added to her Oyster for 2 years, so clearly it's a common problem.

spag23

On Moderation
The staff at White City were happy to add my Senior at the Oyster machine. The former had 2.8 years to run. I didn't think to check how many years got Oystered.

Status
Not open for further replies.