• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Oyster Card + Greater Anglia trip

Status
Not open for further replies.
Next Tuesday I intend to travel from Romford to Clacton on Sea. This includes a change at Shenfield. I have an Oyster Card and a Senior Railcard.
My question is do I touch in at Romford and touch out at Shenfield then use a rail ticket onwards to Clacton? I also need my Railcard registering with the Oyster Card, can I do this at Euston as I will arrive there on Monday.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

rebmcr

Established Member
Next Tuesday I intend to travel from Romford to Clacton on Sea. This includes a change at Shenfield. I have an Oyster Card and a Senior Railcard.
My question is do I touch in at Romford and touch out at Shenfield then use a rail ticket onwards to Clacton?
Yes, this method saves you £1.85 versus a single fare, but only at off-peak times. It only saves you 15p when tapping-in before 09:30 and during 16:00-19:00.

Someone more familiar with Shenfield's platforms may be able to tell you about standalone Oyster readers, which could save a trip to the gateline.
I also need my Railcard registering with the Oyster Card, can I do this at Euston as I will arrive there on Monday.
Yes, you will need to ask a member of staff, specifically in the London Underground ticket hall.

Yes, this method saves you £1.85 versus a single fare, but only at off-peak times. It only saves you 15p when tapping-in before 09:30 and during 16:00-19:00.

Someone more familiar with Shenfield's platforms may be able to tell you about standalone Oyster readers, which could save a trip to the gateline.

Yes, you will need to ask a member of staff, specifically in the London Underground ticket hall.
Yes, all journeys are Off Peak.

JonathanH

Veteran Member
The gateline is just at the end of the short subway interchange and given that the subway is the only way to change platforms, not much of a detour. I don't think there are any standalone readers at Shenfield.

iphone76

There is a standalone reader next to the manual gate on the gateline in the subway (train side). The attendant stands next to it.

Currently platform 6 at Shenfield is out of use, due to an issue with dispatch equipment so if this isn't resolved by Tuesday, every other Elizabeth Line train is using platform 4 which will afford you a cross platform interchange with the Clacton train.

Status
Not open for further replies.