• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

paid penalty fare to tfl, is the issue closed?

signature

hi,
i didnt tap in on the dlr , honest mistake, and the revenue inspector asked me to pay cash (after taking my name and address) so I did.
Now on my account it says revenue inspection twice, with £0 - (I guess once for the original and after I paid cash).
CAn I assume the matter to be closed or is it still possible to get prosecution through mail? Reading this forum kinda freaked me out.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

island

Veteran Member
If you have paid and have a receipt that is the end of the matter.

signature

@island Thanks for your prompt reply phew. I did not get a receipt (inspector said it will take a while and I was in a rush), but I did pay, and the fact I paid is reflected in my tfl account I think (it says revenue inspection twice, once after the. failed revenue inspection and again after I paid the penalty fare in cash) so hope this is fine

Pushpit

I am sure that is all correct, it would have been better to wait for a receipt since it may have saved time in a limited sense but not so much now.

I have a suggestion for you though. I wouldn't say it's important to do, but you may find it useful. We suggest this in my area of the NHS when something odd happens and the staff member is concerned there may be some reaction months later. Write down in your notebook about a dozen or so sentences describing what happened - time, place, sequences of events, description of the RPI, what it says in your TfL account. Focus on facts while your memory is fresh, and a small amount on impressions. It doesn't need to be a literary endeavour, in fact bullet points is better. Then time and date this recollection, so today's date, put or sign your name down at the end, make sure you keep the notebook safe for at least a year or so. It just preserves your recollection at the best point currently available to you, and has the added advantage of you disposing on to paper what may be troubling your brain. Once you written it down you may find it easier to move on.

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
Am I the only one that thinks an inspector asking for cash and discouraging a receipt is highly suspicious and the cash may well have been pocketed?
That is very odd. Why would they encourage cash? Much easier to accept a card payment.

OP, you should ask TfL for a receipt. This is important for your own protection.

WesternLancer

Established Member
Am I the only one that thinks an inspector asking for cash and discouraging a receipt is highly suspicious and the cash may well have been pocketed?
I read it as the op was in too much hurry to wait for a receipt but maybe I am wrong. I think it would be wise to always get one in these sorts of circumstances. If the o p can obtain subsequent proof of payment that should be done.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
I read it as the op was in too much hurry to wait for a receipt but maybe I am wrong. I think it would be wise to always get one in these sorts of circumstances. If the o p can obtain subsequent proof of payment that should be done.

Yes, I think the OP should contact TfL and ask for confirmation of payment. If they then say it wasn't paid, a complaint can be pursued.

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Were you using contactless or Oyster?

If you used contactless did you tell the inspector that you hadn't touched in?

signature

@Haywain I paid 50 pounds. @Hadders Yeah I used contactless and the inspector when I scanned his mchine said I did not touch in . So while I dont have the receipt, my account has two records of revenue inspection, and the second one is the when I touched his scan machine after I paid him cash. As a result I dont have FAILED REVENUE INSPECTIon on my records, just two regular REVENUE INSPECTION records.

Haywain

Veteran Member
@Haywain I paid 50 pounds.
That suggests you have paid a penalty fare. As you were in a rush and did not wait for a receipt I think we have to assume that the inspector was being honest and would have printed out a receipt in your absence. It can take a minute or two to enter the details and print out, and your second touch on the inspection device suggests to me that the process is likely to have been completed properly. Ultimately, we'll never know for certain but we shouldn't assume someone (the inspector) was being dishonest when we don't have real evidence to back that up.

signature

Yeah I agree thanks @Haywain I was just wondering if this process is closed now or if they still prosecute after a penalty (because so many ppl were prosecuted in this forum :0 ) (since the inspector has my address after all)

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
That suggests you have paid a penalty fare. As you were in a rush and did not wait for a receipt I think we have to assume that the inspector was being honest and would have printed out a receipt in your absence. It can take a minute or two to enter the details and print out, and your second touch on the inspection device suggests to me that the process is likely to have been completed properly. Ultimately, we'll never know for certain but we shouldn't assume someone (the inspector) was being dishonest when we don't have real evidence to back that up.

I wasn't to be fair *assuming* them dishonest, just that it wasn't entirely impossible and so the OP would be best served obtaining confirmation from TfL that it has been paid for their own protection.

island

Veteran Member
I didn't think inspectors' devices could tell whether a contactless card had been touched-in?

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
I didn't think inspectors' devices could tell whether a contactless card had been touched-in?

I didn't either (other than on a bus where they download the list of tapped in cards) - thought this was about Oyster where the card knows if it's been tapped in or not. But maybe they've upgraded them.

Haywain

Veteran Member
the OP would be best served obtaining confirmation from TfL that it has been paid for their own protection
I don't really see how someone who hasn't provided their details can get confirmation that they made a cash payment.

Cloud Strife

Established Member
I have a suggestion for you though. I wouldn't say it's important to do, but you may find it useful. We suggest this in my area of the NHS when something odd happens and the staff member is concerned there may be some reaction months later. Write down in your notebook about a dozen or so sentences describing what happened - time, place, sequences of events, description of the RPI, what it says in your TfL account. Focus on facts while your memory is fresh, and a small amount on impressions. It doesn't need to be a literary endeavour, in fact bullet points is better. Then time and date this recollection, so today's date, put or sign your name down at the end, make sure you keep the notebook safe for at least a year or so. It just preserves your recollection at the best point currently available to you, and has the added advantage of you disposing on to paper what may be troubling your brain. Once you written it down you may find it easier to move on.

Actually, I would recommend that someone always does this as quickly as possible whenever confronted with a potentially legal situation. Taking notes is a lost art, but it can be an incredibly powerful tool.

A police officer friend always stresses that taking notes immediately is priceless, and that he's had numerous cases that hinged on the jury regarding his written notes as valuable evidence.

Established Member

Yeah I didnt know either but now suspecting they do

I didn't either (other than on a bus where they download the list of tapped in cards) - thought this was about Oyster where the card knows if it's been tapped in or not. But maybe they've upgraded them.

AIUI they can’t tell whether a contactless card has been tapped in, but they can tell where one has been blacklisted by TfL. This happens where the card has been used several times, with the payment requests to the user’s bank/credit card company then being denied.

So it’s possible that the OP’s card was in this category?

signature

Hmm odd why it would be blacklisted though if it happened maybe one other time (and that time it just automatically charged me the maximum fare) and my card wasnt blocked?