• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Painting and Sticking

Status
Not open for further replies.

trainmania100

Established Member
Over the years I've accumulated many triang dock shunters, one of which I wish to paint.

Can anyone suggest the recommended brand for paints when painting a locomotive, should I use a paint or spray?

I want it in a lightish shade of blue, a bit lighter than BR blue. I want a gimmicky version of my profile picture.

I also want a nameplate. Is there somewhere that does these in varying sizes?

Thanks

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

RichJF

I used these guys to create a couple of custom nameplates for a Hornby Class 57 I previously owned (now sold). Took about 4 weeks from design - letter arriving.

For stock repainting I use Vallejo acrylic paint done by hand & then sprayed with clear matt varnish (with windows masked up).

trainmania100

Established Member
Bit of a sloppy job but triang weren't exactly masters of detail either. I've got a few blue lines to paint on the black bits on the front and side then get a nameplate. Closest I'll get it without a rubbishy 3d print.

Attachments

• PXL_20230122_174517245.jpg
    PXL_20230122_174517245.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 18
  • 32139.jpg
    32139.jpg
    10.6 KB · Views: 18

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Bit of a sloppy job but triang weren't exactly masters of detail either. I've got a few blue lines to paint on the black bits on the front and side then get a nameplate. Closest I'll get it without a rubbishy 3d print.

It looks good actually. I reckon if you gave it a bit of a wash down with some matt rail dirt colour to pick the detail out it would really bring it to life.

trainmania100

Established Member
Thanks Cowley I think I've done all I can be bothered to do, just need to print off a nameplate and glue it on. Don't think I'll go for anything fancy because the cab sides are quite small

Attachments

• PXL_20230124_152611379.jpg
    PXL_20230124_152611379.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 11
Status
Not open for further replies.