• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Panic after Lumo emergency stop

Status
Not open for further replies.

aar0

The BBC headline makes this sound like a non-story, but the passengers’ quotes suggest a thoroughly bumpy ride, and the impression the train took a corner too fast…

Lumo train passengers' panic after emergency stop​

Rail passengers have complained of being thrown from their seats and hit by falling luggage after a train came to a sudden stop.
The driver of the 08:20 from Newcastle to King's Cross hit the emergency brake near Peterborough, operator Lumo said.
Passenger Neuma Domingos said she had a panic attack and hurt her leg and Lumo apologised for any distress caused.
Police said 15 people had minor injuries and the Rail Accident Investigation Branch had been informed.
Lumo said all travellers had been rerouted and the train was taken out of service for safety checks with later journeys cancelled.
"Regrettably there has been a knock-on effect for passengers on the 12:09 from King's Cross and the return journey at 18:52 from Edinburgh, both of which have been cancelled," Lumo said in a statement to the BBC.
Ms Domingos was returning to London for a hospital appointment after visiting family in Newcastle.
The King's College London student told the BBC: "Everything was fine until very abruptly we started veering to the right. All things fell on the floor. I was leaning on to the woman next to me and she almost fell out of her seat.
"And then very rapidly the train swung from side to side, heavily on to the left side all the luggage fell at this point. I hit my knee, people were gasping, a couple of people cried out - it was like really bad turbulence on a plane."
She added: "I'm still pretty shocked by everything, surprised and my leg still hurts. A suitcase hit a man's head. I can't get that image out of my head. The suitcase slowly moving and then bang. It happened right in front of me."
BBC article

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

skyhigh

Established Member
5 pages of discussion on this here...

aar0

Ah whoops, I did search and was surprised not to find it! Sorry!

dk1

Veteran Member
The emergency stop rubbish they mention is so annoying but I suppose they won’t go into too much detail.

fgwrich

Established Member
One thing I do wonder though, is if this will put passengers off putting large luggage up into the overhead racks on the 80Xs, preferring to use the ones at the end of each coach again or, somewhat unfortunately, taking up seats again.

Status
Not open for further replies.