• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Paris Transilien/Île-de-France Travelcard or Pass

Status
Not open for further replies.

TurboFintan

Using this map, is there a pass or travelcard that allows me to travel around the network in the zones mentioned in the map for one day? I'm having difficulty looking on the Transilien website since it seems they do not have an English option.

Thanks!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

CC 72100

Established Member
Yes:

The 'Mobilis' is the ticket you want - zones 1-5.

If you are under-26 and you are at the weekend, the 'ticket jeunes' available in 1-3 or 1-5 is cheaper version of the Mobilis.

Note that if you wish to go the CDG airport, the SNCF fleece tourists by making the mobilis and ticket jeunes not valid there despite being in zone 5 and so you'd need a separate ticket for that.

Also available over multiple days is the 'Paris Visite.

Here's the best source of info: https://www.vianavigo.com/fr/titres-et-tarifs/tous-les-titres-de-transports/

k-c-p

A day pass would be the "Mobilis" ticket. Its available for different fare zone sets (from 1-2 to 1-5) and allows unlimited travel on Bus, Metro, Tram and Train within the chosen zones (only the airport connections by RER are excluded).

You can buy it at the ticket machines in any Metro or RER station.

For more information check the RATP web site:
https://www.ratp.fr/en/titres-et-tarifs/mobilis

class387

Established Member
If you are there for more than one day, consider the Navigo Decouverte smartcard. It is loaded on a weekly basis (Mon-Sun, not 7 days) for ~22€ and is valid for all services including airports. You need to bring your photo though.

TurboFintan

If you are there for more than one day, consider the Navigo Decouverte smartcard. It is loaded on a weekly basis (Mon-Sun, not 7 days) for ~22€ and is valid for all services including airports. You need to bring your photo though.

That's an impressive bargain, although I am unlikely to stay for a week. I guess it's still useful for a few days rather than buying a mobilis pass each day. Thanks!

class387

Established Member
That's an impressive bargain, although I am unlikely to stay for a week. I guess it's still useful for a few days rather than buying a mobilis pass each day. Thanks!

It's great. I'm surprised it isn't known more. It's probably worth it just for CDG and back.

k-c-p

The Navigo has to caveats:
- You have to pay a non-refundable fee of 5€
- Passes for the current week can only be bought until Thursday (Starting Friday only passes for the following week are available).

The Navigo has a life time of about 10 years. So, if you plan to come back, it might be worth to do some calculating.

The second caveat can be circumvented by buying a Navigo card reader so that you can charge it at home. I did that because I am often in Paris over the weekend and want to use my Navigo, but cannot by a weekly pass on Friday. Charging a pass on the Navigo this way is a bit fragile, because you need stuff like Java in Browser, which modern Browsers block (works best with Internet Explorer ;)).

Bon Voyage

dutchflyer

Established Member
For 1 day there is the choice between:
Mobilis-as above, or Paris-Visite-also available for 2/3/4 days, it cost more for 1 day, but has more tourist-aimed free thingies on it (various discounts etc.). For a few days later in the week, it may work out better as buying 1-day mobilis all days. And it should be valid on rail to both airports.
You can still use BUSes to airports for ''free'' on mobilis, and a combo of metro+express bus to CdGaulle is in fact the cheapest way to get there from centre. To Orly there is now even a tram, mobilis accepted.
Outer ranges of the area go till over 60 km from central Paris.
On monthly and longer seasons, these are ''dezoned'' since last year (tipical French political pressure- also many departments have flat fares like 2 or even 1,50 eur for their country buses). Also in summer and on weekends all seasons are dezoned=valid in all zones.

dutchflyer

Established Member
Info in english-and even some other languages, is available on www.ratp.fr (the Paris metro/tram/bus operator and part-woner of TransDEV/RATP). Search for FR> and then follow clicks.

ag51ruk

If you buy a Mobilis or Paris-Visite, don't forget to take a pen with you - you need to write your name and the date on the ticket for it to be valid (although I have never actually been asked to show a ticket to a real human, it must happen occasionally!)

rg177

Established Member
Associate Staff
International Transport
If you buy a Mobilis or Paris-Visite, don't forget to take a pen with you - you need to write your name and the date on the ticket for it to be valid (although I have never actually been asked to show a ticket to a real human, it must happen occasionally!)

I've been asked for it once by a human and that was a revenue sting by SNCF on Line U between La Defense and La Verriere. Most of the passengers they checked ended up getting details taken!

TurboFintan

Thanks for the helpful responses, I might get the Mobilis pass since I'll probably just spend a day on transport in the area during my trip and is less hassle to get. I'm hoping to use the Eurostar to Gare du Nord so am likely to avoid airports.

Gordon

Worth remembering that Mobilis, like London travelcards is available from anywhere in the validity area, to come into Paris from outer areas and travel around anywhere in the validity area.

Some years ago now I stayed in a nice countryfied and cheap Ibis out at Rambouillet but still used Mobilis for roving around the Ile de France.

Rambouillet is probably one of the most pleasant 'country towns' available for this type of move, other such places away from the bustle of Paris which are on the network include Melun, Montereau, Meaux, Fontainebleau

As has been said, all info available in English:

Last edited:

TurboFintan

Worth remembering that Mobilis, like London travelcards is available from anywhere in the validity area, to come into Paris from outer areas and travel around anywhere in the validity area.

Some years ago now I stayed in a nice countryfied and cheap Ibis out at Rambouillet but still used Mobilis for roving around the Ile de France.

Rambouillet is probably one of the most pleasant 'country towns' available for this type of move, other such places away from the bustle of Paris which are on the network include Melun, Montereau, Meaux, Fontainebleau

As has been said, all info available in English:

Thanks for your suggestion, I will certainly look at these places!

class387

Established Member
My favourite town in the Paris area is Provins (approx. 1 hour from Est, zone 5).

k-c-p

As I spent quite some in time in Paris over the years a few ideas for things to see a bit away from the usual tourist tracks (and reachable with a Mobilis or Navigo ;))

If you are interested in flowers etc. Check out these parks (for some impression see http://www.railforums.co.uk/showthread.php?t=129874)
  • "Parc Floral" at the outskirts of the "Bois de Vincennes" (take M1 to "Chateau de Vincennes")
  • Green House at "Jardin des Serres d'Auteuil" (M10 to "Porte d'Auteuil")
  • "Domaine National de Saint-Cloud" (T2 "Parc de Saint-Cloud")
  • "Parc de Bercy" (M14 "Cour Saint-Émilion")

In the Île de France area there are several cathedrals. For more classic architecture you may want to visit
  • St Denis (M13)
  • Meaux (train from Gare de l'Est)
  • Pointoise (RER C)
  • Nanterre (RER A).
There are two modern cathedrals (Some pics of these can be found at http://www.railforums.co.uk/showthread.php?t=128123):
  • Créteil (M8 "Créteil - Université") - my personal favourite
  • Évry (RER D, "Évry - Courcouronnes")

And finally some rail stuff:

Bon Voyage
Charly

plcd1

Just to add that the first section of express tram line T11 (formerly known as Tangentielle Nord) which runs alongside part of the Grand Ceinture in the northern suburbs is due to open this Saturday 1 July 2017. It will run from Epinay sue Seine to Le Bourget. Peak services every 5 mins, off peak every 10 mins. The remaining sections won't open for a few more years.

French language website

http://www.tram11express.fr/

Gordon

My favourite town in the Paris area is Provins (approx. 1 hour from Est, zone 5).

Provins is actually 1h24 from Paris - rather a long journey compared to the places I listed)
Clearly being a fan of the Line 4 diesels out of Est (:cry:) Provins used to be top of my list but (however bonkers this sounds!) I omitted it because now, being a modern plastic unit train and a long way from Paris I was giving other places precedence.

Rambouillet probably stands out (especially to fans of 'proper' trains) as the best remaining option, as it has trains to Paris that are are loco and coaches (ironic given that when I did it the Ile de France trains were unit (although there were BB9200 on trains from further afield that called at Rambouillet).

Sadly there are a few larger nice places that suffer a double whammy - they fall outside the Ile de France ticketing area, and are the also first stops after Paris on loco hauled expresses (Chateau Thierry, Sens, Montargis, Creil etc) so you can't for instance get the BB15000 on the Est Bar le Duc route or the hauled trains from Dijon.

TurboFintan

As I spent quite some in time in Paris over the years a few ideas for things to see a bit away from the usual tourist tracks (and reachable with a Mobilis or Navigo ;))

If you are interested in flowers etc. Check out these parks (for some impression see http://www.railforums.co.uk/showthread.php?t=129874)
  • "Parc Floral" at the outskirts of the "Bois de Vincennes" (take M1 to "Chateau de Vincennes")
  • Green House at "Jardin des Serres d'Auteuil" (M10 to "Porte d'Auteuil")
  • "Domaine National de Saint-Cloud" (T2 "Parc de Saint-Cloud")
  • "Parc de Bercy" (M14 "Cour Saint-Émilion")

In the Île de France area there are several cathedrals. For more classic architecture you may want to visit
  • St Denis (M13)
  • Meaux (train from Gare de l'Est)
  • Pointoise (RER C)
  • Nanterre (RER A).
There are two modern cathedrals (Some pics of these can be found at http://www.railforums.co.uk/showthread.php?t=128123):
  • Créteil (M8 "Créteil - Université") - my personal favourite
  • Évry (RER D, "Évry - Courcouronnes")

And finally some rail stuff:

Bon Voyage
Charly

Thank you for your suggestions, I'd love to visit these places!

SHD

Provins is actually 1h24 from Paris - rather a long journey compared to the places I listed)
Clearly being a fan of the Line 4 diesels out of Est (:cry:) Provins used to be top of my list but (however bonkers this sounds!) I omitted it because now, being a modern plastic unit train and a long way from Paris I was giving other places precedence.

Rambouillet probably stands out (especially to fans of 'proper' trains) as the best remaining option, as it has trains to Paris that are are loco and coaches (ironic given that when I did it the Ile de France trains were unit (although there were BB9200 on trains from further afield that called at Rambouillet).

Sadly there are a few larger nice places that suffer a double whammy - they fall outside the Ile de France ticketing area, and are the also first stops after Paris on loco hauled expresses (Chateau Thierry, Sens, Montargis, Creil etc) so you can't for instance get the BB15000 on the Est Bar le Duc route or the hauled trains from Dijon.

Yes, but Rambouillet does not match Provins in terms of historical interest (although Rambouillet has a nice forest); a bit like comparing Woking to Colchester :)

Other pleasant getaways within the Île-de-France region, especially if you like fine arts :
- Île des Impressionistes / Île de la Chaussée, on the tracks of Renoir. RER A Rueil Malmaison or Chatou-Croissy / St Lazare commuter rail Bougival
- Moret-sur-Loing, a beautiful small medieval town, less than 1 hr from Gare de Lyon
https://www.transilien.com/sites/default/files/atoms/files/dr-an17-d48-sd-v011.pdf
And the station of Moret-Veneux les Sablons is quite interesting as it is the junction where the main lines to Lyon & Clermont diverge.

Status
Not open for further replies.