• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Paris

Status
Not open for further replies.

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
It's part of the French psyche to riot against the state every so often, having started in 1789.
Anti-government passions were already running high over the pensions issue.
The only equivalent British riots I can remember were in 2011, mainly in London and Manchester, after a police shooting incident in London.
The poll tax riots in 1990 came close.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Ken H

On Moderation
Foreign Office Travel Advice from https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/france.
Since 27 June, riots have taken place across France. Many have turned violent. Shops, public buildings and parked cars have been targeted. There may be disruptions to road travel and local transport provision may be reduced. Some local authorities may impose curfews. Locations and timing of riots are unpredictable. You should monitor the media, avoid areas where riots are taking place, check the latest advice with operators when travelling and follow the advice of the authorities.

Citybreak1

What’s things like in France now more calm? I’m deciding whether to take a visit out to Lille or stick to somewhere like Ghent? Both seem similar price and take same time. Visited Ghent in 2018 good city but had to take tram. Lille you arrive right in the city.

The exile

Established Member
What’s things like in France now more calm? I’m deciding whether to take a visit out to Lille or stick to somewhere like Ghent? Both seem similar price and take same time. Visited Ghent in 2018 good city but had to take tram. Lille you arrive right in the city
Not very related to the title but the nearest station to Ghent city centre is Dampoort, not St Pieters

stuart100100

What’s things like in France now more calm? I’m deciding whether to take a visit out to Lille or stick to somewhere like Ghent? Both seem similar price and take same time. Visited Ghent in 2018 good city but had to take tram. Lille you arrive right in the city.
I went to Paris 3 weeks ago and you wouldn't know there had been any trouble. All was normal

duncanp

Established Member

You can stay in Lille and vist Gent for the day.

There is an hourly train service between the two cities, with a journey time of approximately 1 hour.

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
I went to Paris 3 weeks ago and you wouldn't know there had been any trouble. All was normal
...and I've just done five days there, but beware that until the end of August there is an awful lot of engineering work going on with lots of blockades on the Metro, Trams and RER.

Dougal2345

Eeek! I was on the Metro yesterday, Montparnasse to Gare du Nord... I was grumpy that I didn't get a seat for what's a fairly long journey, but perhaps in retrospect that was a blessing!

Also noticed on the Eurostar the Japanese lady sitting next to me used wet wipes to wipe down her entire seat and the seat back in front of her before sitting... perhaps she'd heard about this. I did wonder if she was going to disinfect me too :o

What happened with the French rail strikes (and general strikes) anyway, everything seems to have died down... did the unions get what they wanted?

Snow1964

Established Member
...and I've just done five days there, but beware that until the end of August there is an awful lot of engineering work going on with lots of blockades on the Metro, Trams and RER.

They have target of lots of upgrades before the 2024 Olympics.

Traditionally half of Paris empties out in August, lots of Parisian families have holiday apartments near the coasts, which get used lots from Bastille day weekend through to August. Blockades during school holidays makes sense

CC 72100

Established Member
I may further delay my trip. Seemingly a bed bugs issues affecting metro and trains. Has anybody seen this?
There is a little bit in French media about this, all started when some were spotted on a TGV last weekend. A few videos have then been circulating on other transport (a OuiGo TGV and a Paris bus) but ultimately its probably a handful of cases.

Citybreak1

If i avoid Paris would the TGV at Lille have come from Paris? I want to visit italy but could go via Lille to Lyon to Turin. But I am due to visit Brussels next month how can I be sure that set has not visited Paris? From what I read tgv and metro? Maybe Brussels will be safe?

Would Eurostar be safe from bedbugs if these trains visit Paris?

Last edited:

MarcVD

If i avoid Paris would the TGV at Lille have come from Paris? I want to visit italy but could go via Lille to Lyon to Turin.
You will not be able to travel Lyon-Turin by train for quite some time - several months at least - as the line has been blocked by a landslide.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
What happened with the French rail strikes (and general strikes) anyway, everything seems to have died down... did the unions get what they wanted?
There was a strike last Tuesday when I was there which was a bit of a pain as it made the RER C out to Versailles considerably more crowded than I suspect it otherwise would have been!

I get the impression it's rumbling along as I think the Government got their way but without anything like the fury of March. Certainly I saw absolutely no sign of protests or anything dramatic. Whereas when I was there in March there were marches going right past my hotel!

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Traditionally half of Paris empties out in August, lots of Parisian families have holiday apartments near the coasts, which get used lots from Bastille day weekend through to August. Blockades during school holidays makes sense
Yes, the reasoning behind booking August for that trip was that there was pretty much a guarantee of there being no strikes as the French summer holidays are sacrosant.

That proved to be correct, but the reduced service levels and engineering blocks were a downside.

Status
Not open for further replies.