• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Passenger Assists data highest ever

Status
Not open for further replies.

PathFinderUK

Some of the comments...

All sorts of people need assists. Anyone that is vision impaired or in a wheelchair for example.

Staff at the gateline often call it in if it isn't booked and staff have to meet the passenger before they board the train so staff at the next destination know which coach to meet them at when they arrive there so ramps can be put down if needed. A blind person might need an assist off the train and taken to a different part of the station.

There's parents that book assistance for their disabled children and passenger assist helps by getting them on the right coach and logging the seat numbers. If there's trains that are cancelled for example and the next train is packed, what they have booked, they will unlikely get those seats. That information definitely needs to be passed on!

There's elderly passengers that are frail or nervous and need a lot of reassurances.

Some trains are packed. With assistance booked, there's a guarantee someone (staff) will meet them. And if there's an accident because of a rush of people, at least this helps in responding quickly. So I get why assists that might not be booked by the passenger will still be booked by someone else at the station. It's all about safety and ease for travelers.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

mrg9999

Being overweight, or you that usually sit around all day, is no reason for needing assistance
Some of the people I work with (who have often become disabled later in life through no fault of their own, except maybe making the choice of wanting to serve their country) compete in wheelchair marathons yet are still unable to get out of their chair and board a train without assistance

Last edited:

The exile

Established Member
Criticising people in wheelchairs "that sit around all day" is both unhelpful and offensive. Some of the people I work with (who have often become disabled later in life through no fault of their own, except maybe making the choice of wanting to serve their country) compete in wheelchair marathons yet are still unable to get out of their chair and board a train without assistance!
I think you’ll find that no one did. The reference is clearly (to me at least) to the lifestyle of the population as a whole

markymark2000

On Moderation
Why is it so difficult to move a train in a railway station by a few feet to accommodate a wheelchair?
I've watched the video and it didn't seem like it was difficult in the grand scheme of things. Yes the driver had to get permission from the signaller (which while it seems daft in first instance, I suppose if a signaller wanted to put another train 'on top' of this one and the train wasn't in the right position, there's a risk that another train may not fit and cause far more issues). The staff on the video though said numerous times that it was the Train Manager refusing to play ball. Driver, station staff and signaller were all happy to make it work but the TM wasn't. I don't understand why any TM would refuse to help get the train moved to permit a wheelchair onboard?

gka472l

Problem with all these extra assists is that there isn't an increase in staff to match...and I speak as someone who does assists from time to time, and can be faced with 4 or 5 assists off one train.....

Status
Not open for further replies.