• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Passengers stuck on Churnet Valley train due to large snowdrift on the track

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adlington

Source:
Visitors to Churnet Valley Railway were left 'stuck' on a train due to a large snow drift blocking their way.

One passenger who was on the train for his 70th birthday this morning said: "I'm on the Churnet Valley Railway steam driven breakfast train. … but now stationary … with a large snowdrift across the track. Understand that it will take about an-hour-and-a-half before a diesel train can come to the back of the carriages and take us back to Kingsley Holt."
I guess the 70-years' old gentleman wasn't particularly in a hurry to get anywhere. But do heritage railways offer delay compensation of any sort?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
When was this? A week ago? Snow in Staffordshire has mostly all gone now!

Flying Phil

Established Member
I don't think there is any "Delay repay" on HRs, but I believe many offer tickets for future travel if there has been a mega disruption or cancellation - just good customer service.

xotGD

Established Member
Sounds like a "Murder on the Orient Express" theme day!

Adlington

I don't think there is any "Delay repay" on HRs, but I believe many offer tickets for future travel if there has been a mega disruption or cancellation - just good customer service.
I wonder whether this was classified as a disruption or an extra attraction (free of charge) :lol:

Sounds like a "Murder on the Orient Express" theme day!
I wonder whether catering was of the same standard...

paul1609

Established Member
Knowing this forum someone will be along shortly to explain that HRs will be liable to offer overnight hotel due to some bizarre EU legislation that nobodies ever heard of ;) !

Rescars

I wonder whether this was classified as a disruption or an extra attraction (free of charge) :lol:

I wonder whether catering was of the same standard...
IIRC the time the Orient Express got snowed in, it ran out of food completely. And coal and heat as well for that matter. A swift diesel rescue seems a much more civilised proposition.

OuterDistant

How odd. I was on the trackbed of the Oakamoor - Alton section on that day and the only traces of snow were in some nearby fields. I guess it shows just how different weather conditions can be in a small geographical area.

ASharpe

About 10 years ago me and some friends went on the Eskdale Railway after a day and night of horrific rain. We were on the first train of the day encountered a land slip and water rushing past the train. Almost ready to call off the trip entirely but a volunteer orange army got us on our way and as the only pax we thought we had best continue.

We got close the summit of Sca Fell Pike later that day but had to give up due to the wind.

Status
Not open for further replies.