• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Passport Rules

dangie

Established Member
My fingerprints were taken at the Port of Calais recently whilst travelling back with FlixBus.
Travelled back from Paris to the UK through Calais a few weeks ago with a local coach company. In front of us at the Border Control was a FlixBus. The custom officers made everyone on the FlixBus get off, plus all their luggage, scanned their luggage, then gave the coach a thorough search. Our driver said this was not uncommon with FlixBus. We one the other hand got off, walked through passport control, got back onboard and drove on.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

dangie

Established Member
For whatever reason, I think FlixBus coaches and passengers undergo more thorough custom checks than many others. Casting my mind back to last year, we traveled by coach through the Mont Blanc Tunnel from Italy into France. There was a FlixBus coach in front of us as we passed through the Italian side. As we exited the tunnel on the French side the FlixBus was pulled over by French border officials. We drove straight past.

nw1

Established Member
For whatever reason, I think FlixBus coaches and passengers undergo more thorough custom checks than many others. Casting my mind back to last year, we traveled by coach through the Mont Blanc Tunnel from Italy into France. There was a FlixBus coach in front of us as we passed through the Italian side. As we exited the tunnel on the French side the FlixBus was pulled over by French border officials. We drove straight past.

Drug related, I wonder? (Just a theory, might be nothing in it)

Good to see it applying at all borders though, not just EU/UK ones.

RT4038

Established Member
Scheduled service at individual fares (Flix) vs. tour bus, by any chance? Scheduled services always get more attention.

dangie

Established Member
Whether you agree with fingerprints being taken or otherwise, I think starting a discussion on the matter with a border security official, is not a particularly good idea. I think I know who would come out on top :)

dosxuk

Established Member
As we exited the tunnel on the French side the FlixBus was pulled over by French border officials.

I think you'll find this can't possibly be true. Many many people have told us that within the EU countries are powerless to stop or inspect people or vehicles passing borders.

They must have broken down and some helpful French border officials who happened to be passing had offered to help out to get them moving again.

londonteacher

Are you a UK passport holder? Were you told why your fingerprints were needed?
Yes I am a UK passport holder. No, I wasn’t told but I regularly get questioned and searched when entering the UK by ferry or Eurotunnel (never at an Airport). All started to happen after was being friendly to the UK customs officer and having a chat about why I leave the UK for periods of not much longer than 24 hours most weekends.

Travelled back from Paris to the UK through Calais a few weeks ago with a local coach company. In front of us at the Border Control was a FlixBus. The custom officers made everyone on the FlixBus get off, plus all their luggage, scanned their luggage, then gave the coach a thorough search. Our driver said this was not uncommon with FlixBus. We one the other hand got off, walked through passport control, got back onboard and drove on.
This has happened every time I have travelled with FlixBus.

I think you'll find this can't possibly be true. Many many people have told us that within the EU countries are powerless to stop or inspect people or vehicles passing borders.

They must have broken down and some helpful French border officials who happened to be passing had offered to help out to get them moving again.
Actually it can happen, there are also reports of border officials boarding trains at borders between EU countries and completing checks.

dangie

Established Member
Actually it can happen, there are also reports of border officials boarding trains at borders between EU countries and completing checks.
Found this. Not very informative but random checks can and do happen.

Howardh

Established Member
In the UK immigration officials deals with firms employing visa-less individuals, many miles from any border, and HMRC ("C" is the customs bit!) will check on any businesses not paying their taxes/duties etc. That will happen overseas and often the border is the most convenient place. Puts a lie to the Brexit tune "we couldn't protect our borders in the EU"!!

1D54

Scheduled service at individual fares (Flix) vs. tour bus, by any chance? Scheduled services always get more attention.
Good question and it has me intrigued. There has to be a damn good reason why people traveling Flix are being targeted. I made one trip many moon's ago with Eurolines from Amsterdam and everyone had to disembark at Calais, it took so long and it was my one and only trip to the continent by road.

londonteacher

Good question and it has me intrigued. There has to be a damn good reason why people traveling Flix are being targeted. I made one trip many moon's ago with Eurolines from Amsterdam and everyone had to disembark at Calais, it took so long and it was my one and only trip to the continent by road.
It’s not just FlixBus. Arrive at Calais or Dover with a Bla Bla Car Bus then the same happens to them also.

I suppose it’s the fact that with the numerous stops that these service can make before reaching the port then it is possible that someone who should not be there has entered the coach to try and travel.

75A

Established Member
EU, what EU?

I've just driven 100 miles from my home in the north to Dublin (in the south) caught a ferry to Wales and am now in my Hotel

All i've done is give my surname when booking in @ the Ferry. No id asked for at all and certainly no fingerprints taken!

I didn't see any vehicle - car, coach or lorry with a GB / UK sticker either.

londonteacher

EU, what EU?

I've just driven 100 miles from my home in the north to Dublin (in the south) caught a ferry to Wales and am now in my Hotel

All i've done is give my surname when booking in @ the Ferry. No id asked for at all and certainly no fingerprints taken!

I didn't see any vehicle - car, coach or lorry with a GB / UK sticker either.
That is because of the common travel area. There is no need for the normal formal checks.

route101

Established Member
Coach travel is the cheapest option and will attract the more desperate so good reason for a more stringent check.

1D54

Let's hope Ryanair never buy a coach company then or any poor people travelling with them will be wishing they had used Flixbus.

rf_ioliver

Given the number of people at airport security who are still to grasp the rules about liquids (17 years after they were introduced) and spend a considerable period rooting around in their bags for assorted liquids, lotions and potions, I'm far from convinced repeating the warnings has any effect.

I just look at the whole airport process as an idiot test.
Because it varies... Helsinki before they got the new CT scanners were quite happy with belts on; now they have CT scanners - laptop and liquids are ok, belts are not because.

Most EU airports you can keep your shoes on - except in Amsterdam in my experience where thick soles need to be taken off...the definition of "thick" depends upon the phase of the moon.

Brandenburg airport last week had a weird fascination with the right side of my belt and my left shin....

Howardh

Established Member
That is because of the common travel area. There is no need for the normal formal checks.
Yes, but that means any EU's who have got into Ireland from the continent legitimately with just their ID card have entered the UK with zero processing. Not that it's an issue, but when you consider all UK ports of entry (other than those from the Republic) will be putting severe measures in place to keep out EU "undesirables" such as full passport, entry form, profiling etc anyone wanting to bypass all that can simply fly to Dublin, enter the CTA with just their ID card and get that very same ferry. Unchecked and over here.

You'd have thought a politician would have worked that out by now, and my MP certainly does as I told him that very fact in 2016.

What we need is a few youtubers doing it with their ID card, seems to be the only way to get things done!!

JamesT

Established Member
Yes, but that means any EU's who have got into Ireland from the continent legitimately with just their ID card have entered the UK with zero processing. Not that it's an issue, but when you consider all UK ports of entry (other than those from the Republic) will be putting severe measures in place to keep out EU "undesirables" such as full passport, entry form, profiling etc anyone wanting to bypass all that can simply fly to Dublin, enter the CTA with just their ID card and get that very same ferry. Unchecked and over here.

You'd have thought a politician would have worked that out by now, and my MP certainly does as I told him that very fact in 2016.

What we need is a few youtubers doing it with their ID card, seems to be the only way to get things done!!
My understanding was that Ireland maintains immigration controls for the CTA, rather than just those eligible for entry to Ireland. That is, if they think you’re entering Ireland for the purpose of then entering the UK without eligibility, they’ll refuse you entry at their border.

Howardh

Established Member
My understanding was that Ireland maintains immigration controls for the CTA, rather than just those eligible for entry to Ireland. That is, if they think you’re entering Ireland for the purpose of then entering the UK without eligibility, they’ll refuse you entry at their border.
That might be the case, but they don't have to say they intend to go to the UK and Ireland lets them in. Ireland doesn't check if they have booked any nights or have the money for the trip, just like we weren't going abroad (EU) in the good old days.

1D54

Apparently there are no figures available for the numbers crossing into NI. The Republic is in a right mess with asylum seekers in hotels etc so i doubt they would have any problems with turning a blind eye to anyone who they know is heading this way.

. Sky high phone charges meaning you should basically avoid using your phone while in the EU.
Half the mobile operators havent enforced roaming charges and the ones that do you buy an EU pass for £10 to use your normal allowance.

The UK and some other countries have been discussing whether to dispense with passports altogether for travel between those specific countries and rely on fingerprints and biographic data instead.
Eeeh, I dont like that idea, for the same reason I normally use my debit card but always try to have £50 on me. IT fails, alot, and if your going to go to a biometric ONLY system, you're going to end up with lots of stranded people while you try to figure out which ethernet cord the mouse nibbled through. Theirs nothing wrong with biometrics being the main system you use but telling people that they don't need to bring their passport is going to take away any backups

Last edited:

gswindale

Half the mobile operators havent enforced roaming charges and the ones that do you buy an EU pass for £10 to use your normal allowance.

Eeeh, I dont like that idea, for the same reason I normally use my debit card but always try to have £50 on me. IT fails, alot, and if your going to go to a biometric ONLY system, you're going to end up with lots of stranded people while you try to figure out which ethernet cord the mouse nibbled through. Theirs nothing wrong with biometrics being the main system you use but telling people that they don't need to bring their passport is going to take away any backups
Trouble is, as I discovered 11 years ago is that if the IT goes down, then your passport is of no use at the Border and you won't be let in. They got the system running again after 45 minutes or so, but we nearly missed our connecting flight as a result.

Thus I don't see what difference relying on my fingerprints compared to looking at my photo makes. It’s all computer based these days and the paper passport is just a throwback to the old days to pacify dinosaurs who are resistant to change.

Trouble is, as I discovered 11 years ago is that if the IT goes down, then your passport is of no use at the Border and you won't be let in. They got the system running again after 45 minutes or so, but we nearly missed our connecting flight as a result.

Thus I don't see what difference relying on my fingerprints compared to looking at my photo makes. It’s all computer based these days and the paper passport is just a throwback to the old days to pacify dinosaurs who are resistant to change.
I don't really appreciate getting called a dinosaur for having an opinion about passport systems, that sounds like UK Border Forces problem for not having any offline backup system, not a reason to throw out physical passports entirely. Most countries apart from Britain have mandatory photo ID rules too, and telling Brits they can go without passports is just going to lead to lots of people ending up with fines as they didnt realise it was only in regards to the airport.

Bantamzen

Established Member
Coach travel is the cheapest option and will attract the more desperate so good reason for a more stringent check.
Or possibly because ID isn't required prior to boarding unlike airlines, so chancers might hope that they at least get to the UK border where they could initiate asylum proceedings.

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
Or possibly because ID isn't required prior to boarding unlike airlines, so chancers might hope that they at least get to the UK border where they could initiate asylum proceedings.
ID is required before boarding on Flixbus; I had to show the driver my passport when travelling London to Paris.

RT4038

Established Member
ID is required before boarding on Flixbus; I had to show the driver my passport when travelling London to Paris.
Yes, but the driver won't be checking whether you have entry permission (unlike at an airport where the airline staff are trained on such things). The reasons are a mixture of @route101 and @Bantamzen.

I believe the bus operator has to provide a passenger list on arrival at the port (certainly if the bus goes on a ship, and IIRC to immigration)