• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Patchway Junction

Step3 Star

Can anybody help please.

I'm trying to figure out what route is set at signal BL1536 Patchway Junction on the Up Tunnel Line when you get two flashing yellows at BL1544 and one flashing yellow at BL1540.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Efini92

Established Member
IMG_3290.png
Looking at that it could be the down tunnel or the up Bristol.

Can anybody help please.

I'm trying to figure out what route is set at signal BL1536 Patchway Junction on the Up Tunnel Line when you get two flashing yellows at BL1544 and one flashing yellow at BL1540.
BL1536 can take you to:

Position Light Depot Sidings
Main Aspect Up Tunnel
JI4 Down Tunnel in the Up Direction BL1528
JI5 Down Bristol BL1567
JI6 Down Patchway Chord BL2047

Step3 Star

Thanks for your help.

It was specifically if you had flashing yellows on the approach to BL1536 what route indication would be set??

Dieseldriver

I’m 99% sure that with the sequence you’re describing, BL1536 can display a feather 4 (for Down Tunnel to take you towards Bristol Parkway) or a feather 5 (for Down Bristol to take you towards Filton Abbey Wood).

Wilts Wanderer

Established Member
You can only have one flashing sequence approaching any particular signal, and it can only be the fastest diverging route. If that still presents a choice its logical to set it for the most commonly used route, so in this case it’s set for the route towards Filton Abbey Wood. Therefore any other diverging route, such as going onto the bi-directional Down Tunnel towards Bristol Parkway, gets an approach control sequence.

Step3 Star

Thanks for your reply

I managed to find a youtube drivers eye video that shows the feather 5 from flashing yellows in the rear.

Efini92

Established Member
You can only have one flashing sequence approaching any particular signal, and it can only be the fastest diverging route, so in this case it’s set for the route towards Filton Abbey Wood. Therefore any other diverging route, such as going onto the bi-directional Down Tunnel towards Bristol Parkway, gets an approach control sequence.
That’s not entirely true, if the initial approach speed is the same, flashing yellows can apply to more than one route. Euxton junction on the up slow can show flashing yellows for a route to the up Bolton or the up Fast.
Not saying that this is the case here as i never signed Severn tunnel, but I’d be surprised if you couldn’t get flashing yellows for both.

Dieseldriver

You can only have one flashing sequence approaching any particular signal, and it can only be the fastest diverging route. If that still presents a choice its logical to set it for the most commonly used route, so in this case it’s set for the route towards Filton Abbey Wood. Therefore any other diverging route, such as going onto the bi-directional Down Tunnel towards Bristol Parkway, gets an approach control sequence.
No. For starters, within the same area, going through Sydney Gardens on the Up Main you can receive double flashing yellow/single flashing yellow as you approach Bathampton Junction. The junction signal can then display either feather four (Down Main towards Chippenham) or feather five (Up Trowbridge towards Westbury), both routes being 40mph.

Wilts Wanderer

Established Member
No. For starters, within the same area, going through Sydney Gardens on the Up Main you can receive double flashing yellow/single flashing yellow as you approach Bathampton Junction. The junction signal can then display either feather four (Down Main towards Chippenham) or feather five (Up Trowbridge towards Westbury), both routes being 40mph.
Yes you’re correct. I see from an online technical source that multiple routes within 10mph of the fastest can all use the flashing sequence. Thanks for pulling me up on that.

Annetts key

Established Member
Can anybody help please.

The route to the Down Bristol line, which is the line to Bristol Temple Meads via Filton Junction and Filton Abbey Wood.

This flashing aspect sequence dates from the 1980s, that is long before the Down Tunnel line became bidirectional.

Last edited: