• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

PCRail signalling sims

Status
Not open for further replies.

oldrailman

Any forum members using PCRail sims? There is an excellent forum on Yahoo for in-depth discussion of the products, but I wondered if anyone had comments on the sims in general. I have about 9 sims and am a big fan. Currently looking forward to the New Street sim as I worked there between 1989-2001.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

John Webb

Established Member
Yes, I have about 15 of their products - a mix of modern and trad semaphore sims. But since getting involved with the full-size St Albans South restoration works have not had so much time to play with them...... :)

headshot119

Established Member
Personally I am not a fan of PC rail they charge far too much for something I can get for free and better with Simsig.

oldrailman

I did give simsig a lengthy try-out but felt that it was too technical in some respects. It may of course be fine for anyone with a good grounding in railway signalling, but my old grey matter couldn't cope for some reason. The PCRail sims are very accurate regarding the track layouts and use authentic timetables. You can always add a bit of spice by feeding in late-running on selected routes, and also arranging failures and delays (which I know a bit about from my years as despatcher at New Street, lol!).:D

deltic1989

Established Member
Personally I am not a fan of PC rail they charge far too much for something I can get for free and better with Simsig.

I would be inclined to agree with you, somtimes simsig gets a bit too much for me but thats the fun of it. In the future though if funds allow i might be tempted to give PC Rail a go and return a verdict.

flymo

Established Member
I've bought a few PCRail games in the past and enjoyed them for what they were, in particular Manchester Picc. and Lewisham. I have to say though that since coming across Simsig there is just no comparison, at least for me anyway. I still have my PCRail stuff on my PC but haven't played in ages. I have tried a demo of the old style boxes with bell coeds etc and was impressed but don't think I'll be buying any more.

headshot119

Established Member
I did give simsig a lengthy try-out but felt that it was too technical in some respects. It may of course be fine for anyone with a good grounding in railway signalling, but my old grey matter couldn't cope for some reason. The PCRail sims are very accurate regarding the track layouts and use authentic timetables. You can always add a bit of spice by feeding in late-running on selected routes, and also arranging failures and delays (which I know a bit about from my years as despatcher at New Street, lol!).:D

Simsig is fairly accurate in the track layout, and certainly has realistic timetables.

deltic1989

Established Member
ive just downloaded and had a play around with a couple of PC Rails sims and enjoyed them particularly the ye olde style mecanical boxes, the IECC sims arent really as good as sim sig though.

heart-of-wessex

Established Member
The problem is that PCrail covers a small area, compared to SimSig which covers the real boundaries and is exactly what an IECC looks like

Status
Not open for further replies.