• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Peak Bus Fares

Status
Not open for further replies.

tbtc

Veteran Member
When did peak fares finish on buses in various UK cities?

I remember them being common pre-deregulation in some urban areas - but I guess they were all phased out separately over time. Was it always by increasing the "daytime" fare up to the "peak" level, or did any operators actually reduce fares?

By around 1991, and the oil price rise caused by war in Kuwait/ Iraq, South Yorkshire Transport extended their "peak" fare through to the end of the evening (i.e. evening fares weren't cheaper), which must have depleted passenger numbers at night time

But the idea of peak fares on buses seems so old-fashioned now that there's anger/confusion whenever an operator does try to charge a premium (e.g. McGills X23)

(we accept peak fares on trains, but I don't think any modern tram/ light rail networks have had peak fares?)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

JonathanH

Veteran Member
So, paying on Oyster, does London Tramlink and the DLR.
Tramlink is £1.55 single at any time - just like the buses - the differential peak pricing on London buses / Tramlink went ages ago.

DLR is like the underground and does have peak pricing.

One way peak pricing historically used to manifest itself (not London) was that returns weren't available until after a set time.

Wolfie

Established Member
Tramlink is £1.55 single at any time - just like the buses - the differential peak pricing on London buses / Tramlink went ages ago.

DLR is like the underground and does have peak pricing.
I knew that was true of buses. I wasn't aware about Tramlink. TY and apologies for potentially misleading anyone.

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Manchester Metrolink does.
Single fares on the Manchester Metrolink are the same price irrespective of the time of day.

Return fares are now issued (since January 2019) as multi-use zonal travelcards. 'Anytime' is before 9.30 a.m. (Mon-Fri) and 'off peak' is at or after 9.30 a.m., also all day Sat, Sun + BH.

DJames

There are still peak fares in the West Midlands on National Express to an extent, a Daysaver is £4.60, but after the Morning peak at 0930, it becomes £4.00.

Last edited by a moderator:

Whisky Papa

The off-peak maximum fare was still in operation when I left First Calderline in 2003. It applied on journeys within West Yorkshire that commenced between 0930-1600 and after 1800 plus weekends and public holidays. I think at that point it was somewhere around £1.20-£1.30, but maybe it was slightly more. It had been 35p when I started in 1988! I seem to remember that at one time all fares were reduced at off-peak times rather than simply a maximum fare being applied, but it didn't last long in that form.

Statto

Established Member
Merseyside still has a morning peak for off peak tickets which are mostly passes which is 06.30 to 09.30, rather oddly you can use saveaways on trains & buses before the 06.30-09.30 morning peak kicks in.

Merseyside used to have an afternoon peak which was 16.00 to 18.00, the afternoon peak was done away with around 2003 for one day tickets. not sure when peak single bus fares were scrapped

Many areas used to have afternoon peak too

ACBest

Stagecoach Lincolnshire still do peak fares for children on all routes before 0900 (if I remember rightly), and on certain routes for adults before the same time too.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.