• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Peartree - Station not accessible?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andy Pacer

Established Member
Slightly miffed this afternoon as I missed the train at the sparcely served Peartree Station as I couldn't access the platform. There is a locked gate and an intercom which wasn't answered!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Not good when the next train from Peartree towards Derby (and beyond) isn't now until Monday!

Mile-and-a-half walk now necessary?

Worthy of a complaint, I would have thought (to EMR presumably) as maybe the gate intercom is currently non-operational.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Slightly miffed this afternoon as I missed the train at the sparcely served Peartree Station as I couldn't access the platform. There is a locked gate and an intercom which wasn't answered!
Make sure you claim delay compensation!
Not good when the next train from Peartree towards Derby (and beyond) isn't now until Monday!

Mile-and-a-half walk now necessary?
Not necessary as EMR should arrange appropriate alternative transport.
Worthy of a complaint, I would have thought (to EMR presumably) as maybe the gate intercom is currently non-operational.
Absolutely

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Presumably delay repay will reject on account of the train being on time. I've mentioned I would like compensating in my complaint submission!
Rather than use the regular form, I would contact Customer Services by email (or web contact form, as appropriate/applicable)

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Did the train stop? What if anyone got off?

The photo in post #37 at the very end of this (now closed) thread from 2012 (see link below) would seem to suggest that you then needed to be buzzed out in order to be able to exit Peartree station.

Baxenden Bank

Established Member
When I used the station, the intercom wasn't answered as in 'hello there, how can I help', I merely heard the gate unlock. In my case, at a guess, someone looked at the CCTV and saw I wasn't a bad un, checked it was about the time a train was due and released the gate lock.

Starmill

Veteran Member
I think that Peartree does have a button to release the gate from the inside. The one time I used the station I arrived by train and the gate's lock was broken anyway.

gazr

I seem to recall having issues exiting the station when I visited and there was a phone number to call if having problems, which was answered right away and I was buzzed out. I seem to recall telling them I maybe calling back in about a minute to be let in on the other side!! :) Now, I'm not sure what would have happened if I didn't have a mobile phone on me!

Southern Dvr

I visited in 2017, didn’t intend to travel but wanted to watch a few trains come through. Buzzed in on the intercom and showed my staff ID to the camera and got told to go away. I instead moved to the footbridge that’s to the Derby side of the station and captured the footage I wanted there instead.

Class800

Established Member
I visited in 2017, didn’t intend to travel but wanted to watch a few trains come through. Buzzed in on the intercom and showed my staff ID to the camera and got told to go away. I instead moved to the footbridge that’s to the Derby side of the station and captured the footage I wanted there instead.
Poor form to refuse a staff member - very surprising to me

Southern Dvr

They don't say they were staff for the relevant company, which might explain it.
No I wasn’t staff for the relevant company but I would have thought being able to prove that you work for the railways and are in the employ of a TOC might suggest you’re not there to cause problems.

I’m told the station is gated off due to numerous problems with anti social behaviour in the 2000s.

birchesgreen

Established Member
Sooner or later the policy will contribute to a bad incident, it'll change then, lessons learned et cetera. Bit late for someone though of course.

Baxenden Bank

Established Member
Sooner or later the policy will contribute to a bad incident, it'll change then, lessons learned et cetera. Bit late for someone though of course.
No it won't. The policy prevents bad incidents. The sort of awful incident that requires lots of cleaning up afterwards. Never mind the impact on staff involved and delays to customers.

Andy Pacer

Established Member
No it won't. The policy prevents bad incidents. The sort of awful incident that requires lots of cleaning up afterwards. Never mind the impact on staff involved and delays to customers.
Although my delay is still ongoing, at least until the first train tomorrow.

rg177

Established Member
Associate Staff
International Transport
I remember being unable to leave the station a few years ago as the intercom didn't seem to do anything and there was no evident release button.

There was however a phone number stuck to the intercom so I rang it and got an absolute earful for doing so. Still, they let me out...

Baxenden Bank

Established Member
You're not delayed, you caught the local bus. Hope you don't try claiming for being there until Monday morning! If control reports that they unlocked the gate on your request, CCTV records you staying stood there, then wandering off to the bus stop.... I wouldn't even refund your bus fare in that case. :D

Andy Pacer

Established Member
You're not delayed, you caught the local bus. Hope you don't try claiming for being there until Monday morning! If control reports that they unlocked the gate on your request, CCTV records you staying stood there, then wandering off to the bus stop.... I wouldn't even refund your bus fare in that case. :D
I'm not "claiming" for anything. I have complained at missing the train.
Why the insinuation that it is my fault?

Baxenden Bank

Established Member
I'm not "claiming" for anything. I have complained at missing the train.
Why the insinuation that it is my fault?
You said, just minutes ago
No it isn't. Your delay ended when the local bus dropped you off near, or you walked to Derby Station and caught the next train to your destination - whatever that length of time was.

Andy Pacer

Established Member
You said, just minutes ago

No it isn't. Your delay ended when the local bus dropped you off near, or you walked to Derby Station and caught the next train to your destination - whatever that length of time was.
It was a figurative delay in catching a train, and the point that I was a delayed passenger still stands. But I'm not "claiming" for it as you seem to suggest.

So, I ask again, why the insinuation it was my fault?

I remember being unable to leave the station a few years ago as the intercom didn't seem to do anything and there was no evident release button.

There was however a phone number stuck to the intercom so I rang it and got an absolute earful for doing so. Still, they let me out...
Oh dear, that is quite poor. I wonder what you would have had to do if you couldn't get out!

Baxenden Bank

Established Member
It was a figurative delay in catching a train, and the point that I was a delayed passenger still stands. But I'm not "claiming" for it as you seem to suggest.

So, I ask again, why the insinuation it was my fault?
There is no insinuation, merely a suggestion that alternative scenarios exist.

I have stood and watch people miss their bus, whilst chatting away with a friend, then complain in very strident terms to 'the inspector' that 'the bus didn't operate'.

Andy Pacer

Established Member
There is no insinuation, merely a suggestion that alternative scenarios exist.

I have stood and watch people miss their bus, whilst chatting away with a friend, then complain in very strident terms to 'the inspector' that 'the bus didn't operate'
Yes, ditto on that. I've investigated many customer complaints that have found just that.

But for the record, I tried to push (and pull) the gate on numerous occasions.

The exile

Established Member
Is Peartree station such a suicide black spot, then, compared with other little used stations on main lines?

Status
Not open for further replies.