• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Peeing on 3rd rail

Status
Not open for further replies.

ess

Could a person be electrocuted if peeing onto a 3rd rail? Just wondering!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

broadgage

Unlikely, but just about possible.
Urine is somewhat conductive due to the salts and minerals dissolved therein. A continuous stream of urine could conduct a dangerous current with serious consequences.
However urine tends to spread out into droplets rather than form a continuous stream. The current can not pass through the air gaps between the droplets.
Urinating onto a conductor rail is therefore low risk, but please don't try it just in case. There are also risks in being near the live rail, such as falling.

Pigeon

There was a Mythbusters episode which tested this theory out and found it pretty unlikely.

Mythbusters's notions of experimental procedure are such as to render their conclusions a pile of arse. I think I even saw this one and it was no exception.

If you stand on the platform to let go you'll probably get away with it. If you stand in the cess to spray your cess it's pretty likely you won't. There are numerous complicating factors, like the weather, what shoes you're wearing, and whether you've just had sex. Much as I appreciate the entertainment value of unconventional urination targets I consider that in this particular instance there is too much risk of only entertaining the onlookers.

Nocent consequences have certainly been recorded from widdling on an electric fence.

Kneedown

Established Member
There are numerous complicating factors, like the weather, what shoes you're wearing, and whether you've just had sex.

Ok, i'll bite.
Are you saying you're more likely to get a jolt up the crown jewels if you've just got lucky?

mrcheek

Established Member
I realise local newspapers are hardly proof of anything, but fyi:
http://www.eadt.co.uk/news/man-dies-after-urinating-on-live-rail-1-165663
A MAN died at a busy railway station when he was electrocuted after reportedly urinating on the track, it has emerged.

The 41-year-old Polish tourist was killed at Vauxhall station in London in the early evening on July 12.

The man, a married teacher, is said to have been looking for somewhere discreet to go to the toilet.

He walked on to the track from a platform but his urine splashed on to a live rail.

Two ambulances and a fast response unit were sent to the scene but he could not be saved.
for those who cringed at that one, there was a worse story, of a man in Russia who took a pee in the street in freezing cold weather. his pee froze in mid air, and then up inside him.....

Last edited by a moderator:

furnessvale

Established Member
Urine is somewhat conductive due to the salts and minerals dissolved therein. A continuous stream of urine could conduct a dangerous current with serious consequences.
However urine tends to spread out into droplets rather than form a continuous stream. The current can not pass through the air gaps between the droplets.
Urinating onto a conductor rail is therefore low risk, but please don't try it just in case. There are also risks in being near the live rail, such as falling.
IMO far more important is the return path to earth. If you are stood there peeing on a dry warm day and wearing well insulated footwear, how are you going to make a good return path to earth?

broadgage

I realise local newspapers are hardly proof of anything, but fyi:
http://www.eadt.co.uk/news/man-dies-after-urinating-on-live-rail-1-165663

for those who cringed at that one, there was a worse story, of a man in Russia who took a pee in the street in freezing cold weather. his pee froze in mid air, and then up inside him.....

I don't believe the Russian story. The urine still inside any part of the body would still be at about blood heat and not liable to freeze. In very cold conditions, urine may freeze before falling to the ground, but freezing INSIDE the body, no way.

Jonny

Established Member
There is one report from New York,USA: https://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/matthew-zeno-electrocution-g-train_n_3561469

Matthew Zeno Killed, Friend Hurt After Being Electrocuted By Third Rail On G Train Tracks
By Aidan Gardiner

BROOKLYN — A man was killed after being electrocuted Monday morning while walking on the tracks near the Broadway G train stop, cops said.
Another man was hurt.

Matthew Zeno, 30, and another man were walking north on the southbound side of the subway, near Union Avenue, when Zeno paused to urinate and inadvertantly contacted the third rail, according to the FDNY and NYPD.
(article continues...)

The NY subway electrification is 600 to 650 Volts DC, similar to Britain.

If you have a steady stream of pee, it leads back into the bladder... with a full electrical connection into the body. It only takes one weak spot somewhere else on the poor soul for the electricity to break through.

As for volts and amps, an analogy is medieval siege warfare:
Volts are like battering rams and sappers that make a way through, the amps are the foot soldiers etc. who cause the majority of internal damage.

big all

On Moderation
you need a complete circuit and assuming you are wearing dry shoes the only path is via dirt sweat or other contaminants through clothing or air to earth so likley to be a tingle rather than a belt
indeed when a shunter touched the third rail by accident he had more pain from banging his head when recoiling from the belt than damage from the actual belt

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Ok, i'll bite.
Are you saying you're more likely to get a jolt up the crown jewels if you've just got lucky?
To be fair I always wear insulated boots if I get lucky anyway.

bramling

Veteran Member
To be fair I always wear insulated boots if I get lucky anyway.

However one could get unlucky if one had stepped on a nail which had breached the insulated soles, although I suspect like someone else suggested elsewhere this would probably only give a tingle rather than a full jolt. I wouldn’t submit myself to test that out though!

I’ve never heard of anyone getting electrocuted by peeing on a live rail, but needless to say that’s not to say it has never happened.

PermitToTravel

Established Member
How about peeing on to 25kV wires? I ask merely for information...
In seriousness I reckon plenty of station footbridges passing over OLE are low enough that you could actually get a very painful shock (at best!) by doing this - they're at a safe clearance for standing near the wires, not for peeing on them!

Doing it from below you'll definitely be fine though

Requeststop

I don't believe the Russian story. The urine still inside any part of the body would still be at about blood heat and not liable to freeze. In very cold conditions, urine may freeze before falling to the ground, but freezing INSIDE the body, no way.

Tried this when working in Central Kazakhstan mid winter temperature -30C. Firstly your organ is very sensible. trying to expose it to such a low temperature makes it shrivel up to stay warm, and when you do try to pee you are in danger of wetting your five layers of clothes. Something you don't want to do. Secondly, your body temperature is +37C. the heat exchange required to instantly turn your pee to ice at -30 is massive. Urine freezes at approx. -5C so that is a massive instant heat exchange of 42C.

As to peeing on a 3rd rail. I'd not try. I had a difficult job way back trying to persuade my daft brother to pee against the 2-3000 V electrified fence for the cattle on the farm. Claimed he felt nothing after all.

duffield

Established Member
Although Mythbusters often leaves much to be desired scientifically, I'm sure there was an ultra-slowed down version of a simulated, pretty vigourous urine stream from a standing position onto the '3rd rail' and the stream was very clearly discontinous, breaking up as it got closer to the ground. It looked like pretty strong evidence that you'd at least need to kneel to get anything continous.

Status
Not open for further replies.