• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Pembrokeshire CC - Bus Operators Taken In-House

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rhydgaled

Established Member
I understand that Pembrokeshire County Council acquired the assets of Edwards Bros (Tiers Cross) at some time over the past year. However, during a recent Zoom meeting one of the other participants said that she believed that the council had taken over at least two bus operators. My efforts with Google have however failed to clear up my confusion over the identity of any other bus company taken over by PCC. I know Silcox Coaches entered administration some time ago, but I was under the impression that at least some Silcox staff and vehicles moved to Edwards Bros, or Edwards Coaches (possibily a different 'Edwards' to the one that the council has now taken in house) and not the council.

Anyone here able to clarify the suituation? Have any other operators in this area 'gone under' in the last few years?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
I understand that Pembrokeshire County Council acquired the assets of Edwards Bros (Tiers Cross) at some time over the past year. However, during a recent Zoom meeting one of the other participants said that she believed that the council had taken over at least two bus operators. My efforts with Google have however failed to clear up my confusion over the identity of any other bus company taken over by PCC. I know Silcox Coaches entered administration some time ago, but I was under the impression that at least some Silcox staff and vehicles moved to Edwards Bros, or Edwards Coaches (possibily a different 'Edwards' to the one that the council has now taken in house) and not the council.

Anyone here able to clarify the suituation? Have any other operators in this area 'gone under' in the last few years?
Silcox collapsed in 2016 so hardly the last few years.

There were two Edwards firms, albeit unrelated. Edwards Bros were the Tiers Cross business. They were looking to retire and close the business and Pembrokeshire CC were concerned about the cost of someone else replacing the services so bought the business.

Edwards Coaches are a business that, in some ways, is an echo of the former Bebb business in Pontypridd. They are a major coach operator (as well as a few local services in Pontypridd) and they bought some of the former Silcox assets (and operated a few bus services for a while in Pembroke Dock before relinquishing them). They are focussed on coaching as a major NX contractor as well as coaching holidays but exited the area and retreated back to Swansea and Pontyclun.

Taf Valley now has the former Silcox and Edwards Coaches depot in P Dock.

pm2304877

On Moderation
All through the over long shambles of bus deregulation, I have often wondered, in rural areas, if a situation would arise whereby no small bus firms were able or willing to tender for bus services? And whether any such firms were in existence?The Western Isles Council or Comhairle na Eilean Siar had to run services in house due to a non existent private sector .Although blitheringly obvious the fact is that private does not suit all areas and local government must be allowed to return to the role they held pre-1986.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dai Corner

Established Member
All through the over long shambles of bus deregulation, I have often wondered, in rural areas, if a situation would arise whereby no small bus firms were able or willing to tender for bus services? And whether any such firms were in existence?The Western Isles Council or Comhairle na Eilean Siar had to run services in house due to a non existent private sector .Although blitheringly obvious the fact is that private does not suit all areas and local government must be allowed to return to the role they held pre-1986.
Here in south east Wales there are still some independents left like Phil Anslow and Harris Coaches, doing commercial and tendered work alongside the big groups and the Cardiff and Newport municipals.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Not certain what you mean. Local government pre-1986 didn't operate bus services in much of the country; they were largely confined to the towns (municipals) or conurbations (PTEs) and they aren't the areas that have the problem of a shortage of potential operators.

Given its taken nearly 40 years to get to this point, perhaps it isn't that deregulation is the main issue?

Bedford OB

Hardly a great example. Western Isles Council operate two routes out of 27 on the islands, the rest are all operated by private firms, and in my 50 years experience of travelling on them, they generally do a darned good job in often difficult operating circumstances. I am afraid I for one would rather take my chance with the private operators (albeit some are good and some not so good) than shambolic, incompetent, corrupt local authorities.

JKP

I think you will find that the problem especially in deep rural areas is the gentrification and change in the demographics of the population combined with a falling birth rate which means that there is a reduced demand for school transport provision especially for coaches but also minibuses, and typically market day type bus services, once a mainstay of small local concerns. Add to this the reduced demand for local private hire, added bureaucracy and the younger generation not wanting the hassle of working all hours and you can see why Councils are having to step in to maintain essential services. It has little to do with deregulation.

Mwanesh

I would agree with you. Even in the areas that are held as beacons of municipal operation ie Newport, Cardiff even Nottingham the dreaded private operators also do a good job in those areas.

markymark2000

On Moderation
I would agree with you. Even in the areas that are held as beacons of municipal operation ie Newport, Cardiff even Nottingham the dreaded private operators also do a good job in those areas.
And in some areas where it's municipals, they call for private companies to take over. When I've worked in Warrington, I've heard a number of people saying they would want a private firm to take over as Warrington's Own Buses is more expensive than the private firms and private firms don't cross network so routes don't get delayed as much.

volvob12

And in some areas where it's municipals, they call for private companies to take over. When I've worked in Warrington, I've heard a number of people saying they would want a private firm to take over as Warrington's Own Buses is more expensive than the private firms and private firms don't cross network so routes don't get delayed as much.
And in other areas where it's big bad private operators, they cry for the council to take over. In Bristol numerous people have said they want the council to take over as First Bus are more expensive than municipals operators and those operators don't have cross city routes so they don't have delays.

Swings and roundabouts really.

Dai Corner

Established Member
And in other areas where it's big bad private operators, they cry for the council to take over. In Bristol numerous people have said they want the council to take over as First Bus are more expensive than municipals operators and those operators don't have cross city routes so they don't have delays.

This side of the Severn in Newport, Stagecoach are currently cheaper than Newport Transport (£2 single £4 day vs £2.20 / £4.40).

Stagecoach also interwork their two main interurban routes, potentially importing delays from one to the other.

Has Bristol ever had a 100% municipal operator? I seem to remember it was Bristol Joint Services (50/50 publicly/privately owned) pre deregulation.

Last edited:

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
The opening post in the thread specifically asked about Pembrokeshire - could we remain on topic, please?

Thank you :)

pm2304877

On Moderation
Not certain what you mean. Local government pre-1986 didn't operate bus services in much of the country; they were largely confined to the towns (municipals) or conurbations (PTEs) and they aren't the areas that have the problem of a shortage of potential operators.

Given its taken nearly 40 years to get to this point, perhaps it isn't that deregulation is the main issue?
No it's the stupid law that bans cross subsidy and local councils running bus services that needs binning. Cross subsidy would help areas like Pembrokeshire. Services in these areas need protection from pointless competition. Private firms go bust leaving areas bereft of public transport. A more accountable system is needed .

Man of Kent

No it's the stupid law that bans cross subsidy and local councils running bus services that needs binning. Cross subsidy would help areas like Pembrokeshire. Services in these areas need protection from pointless competition. Private firms go bust leaving areas bereft of public transport. A more accountable system is needed .
What cross subsidy achieved in the past was to rob resources from services that carried lots of passengers, to provide for those that didn't. Many local authorities pushed to maintain networks, not frequencies, and there are plenty of statistics that shows passenger decline in the 1970s, to which this policy was a significant contributor.

And in Pembrokeshire's case, how many profitable services are there to raid for cross subsidy? Perhaps enough to fund a couple of buses' worth of work?

Dai Corner

Established Member
Well, Pembrokeshire Council DO run bus services and I'm pretty sure nobody competes with them. I couldn't say whether there is cross-subsidy taking place. The Council is accountable to the electorate.

Ken H

On Moderation
What cross subsidy achieved in the past was to rob resources from services that carried lots of passengers, to provide for those that didn't. Many local authorities pushed to maintain networks, not frequencies, and there are plenty of statistics that shows passenger decline in the 1970s, to which this policy was a significant contributor.

And in Pembrokeshire's case, how many profitable services are there to raid for cross subsidy? Perhaps enough to fund a couple of buses' worth of work?
Pre deregulation, I think the Traffic Commissioners were aware of the network viability. They understood a company could justify a bus to a few villages providing the bus and crew were available for rush hour work, when they looked to make most money. The daytime workings round villages could be done in marginal time using assets that would otherwise stand idle. Because the company provided these marginal services, the commissioners would protect the profitable busy routes from competition. But then, they also regulated fares.
Now each and every working is supposed to add to the bottom line and we have lost the networks. And the data is there from computerised ticketing machines that log journeys accurately.

markymark2000

On Moderation
Public networks aren't any more accountable. If you complain to the councillor in charge of Warrington's Own Buses, they block you. How accountable. Or TFL where no matter the results of the consultations they will push through and make the changes anyway. Very accountable systems working for the benefit of the public!

Local councils can run buses and many do so the law there is generally ignored. Often councils run the buses under the guise of being a community bus operator.

Cross subsidy does happen somewhere else many trips wouldnt run in Pembs. Its when it becomes widespread cross subsidy (like using Glasgow's profits to prop up).

The issue in Pembs is an unsupportive council, the majority of bus stops unmarked, combined with it being low density and very seasonal with very low demand off season. Combine that with low quality operators who are just there to rinse council tenders, you have a recipe for disaster.
The best network for Pembrokeshire would be to do faster touristy buses to Carmarthen (given the shambolic train service) and try to focus on the attractions. 400,000 people visit Oakwood theme Park, no bus. Adjacent Bluestone Resort gets 2 buses per day (which are just placement trips to/from the depot) but they take 150,000 visitors per year. Between the two adjacent attractions, 550,000 visitors per year and basically no usable bus service. The rest of Pembs is now just becoming a big Fflecsi area as the council can't be bothered with normal buses (they are even removing their own minibus routes to replace them with Fflecsi). If Pembrokeshire Council had it their way, the whole area would just be one big Fflecsi zone with no buses.

Anonymous10

Established Member
Public networks aren't any more accountable. If you complain to the councillor in charge of Warrington's Own Buses, they block you. How accountable. Or TFL where no matter the results of the consultations they will push through and make the changes anyway. Very accountable systems working for the benefit of the public!

Local councils can run buses and many do so the law there is generally ignored. Often councils run the buses under the guise of being a community bus operator.

Cross subsidy does happen somewhere else many trips wouldnt run in Pembs. Its when it becomes widespread cross subsidy (like using Glasgow's profits to prop up).

The issue in Pembs is an unsupportive council, the majority of bus stops unmarked, combined with it being low density and very seasonal with very low demand off season. Combine that with low quality operators who are just there to rinse council tenders, you have a recipe for disaster.
The best network for Pembrokeshire would be to do faster touristy buses to Carmarthen (given the shambolic train service) and try to focus on the attractions. 400,000 people visit Oakwood theme Park, no bus. Adjacent Bluestone Resort gets 2 buses per day (which are just placement trips to/from the depot) but they take 150,000 visitors per year. Between the two adjacent attractions, 550,000 visitors per year and basically no usable bus service. The rest of Pembs is now just becoming a big Fflecsi area as the council can't be bothered with normal buses (they are even removing their own minibus routes to replace them with Fflecsi). If Pembrokeshire Council had it their way, the whole area would just be one big Fflecsi zone with no buses.
Indeed the First offering is rather lacklustre too. I do wonder what some good bus services could do here. Many don't use the bus as the service is so bad. To top it off, the 349 Haverfordwest - Tenby service which links many towns is now being cut from hourly to every 90 minutes from October 29th.

Mwanesh

The problem we have in Wales now is that the threat of franchising has put off potential bus people from starting up. They could use Pembrokeshire as a test bed as it is an area without big group operator

Anonymous10

Established Member
The problem we have in Wales now is that the threat of franchising has put off potential bus people from starting up. They could use Pembrokeshire as a test bed as it is an area without big group operator
The issue is that a lot of Pembrokeshire routes aren't immediately profitable requiring investment and a advertising campaign. In addition, you'd need to take over routes from several operators if it was one single operator. To name the main 3 within the county (not counting Fflecsi) you have First Cymru, Traws Cymru and Taff Valley.

JKP

Issue is alot of pembrokeshire routes aren't immediately profitable requiring investment and a advertising campaign. In addition you'd need to take over routes from several operators if it was one single operator. To name the main 3 within the county (not counting flexsi) you have first cymru, traws cymru and taff Valley.
Richard Brothers provide main road routes too and should be included if counting TrawsCymru.

markymark2000

On Moderation
The issue is that a lot of Pembrokeshire routes aren't immediately profitable requiring investment and a advertising campaign. In addition, you'd need to take over routes from several operators if it was one single operator. To name the main 3 within the county (not counting Fflecsi) you have First Cymru, Traws Cymru and Taff Valley.
TrawsCymru will easily go down the franchising route, it's ran by the Welsh Govt who want the franchising. Taff Valley is all tenders or at least supported services so all you do is issue them with a short contract until an agreed date when franchising commences. First only has 2 routes and they are both partly funded in some way. Probably quite easy to do franchising. The issue is that a Pembs franchise would be 6 Fflecsi buses running Monday-Friday 9-3 haha

Richard Brothers provide main road routes too and should be included if counting TrawsCymru.
Richard Bros is just a contractor. You can very easily make the contract finish or issue a short enough contract

Anonymous10

Established Member
I'm afraid being from Haverfordwest all their routes are now branded as T routes ie traws cymru for the most part.

Rhydgaled

Established Member
Admittedly I've not been out on the buses much for a few years now for a number of reasons (COVID restrictions being one of them for a good chunk of that time) so have very little recent experience, but back when I was using them fairly often I would not have described Richards Bros as a "low quality operator". Quite the contrary; I think they're great...

The best network for Pembrokeshire would be to do faster touristy buses to Carmarthen (given the shambolic train service) and try to focus on the attractions. 400,000 people visit Oakwood theme Park, no bus. Adjacent Bluestone Resort gets 2 buses per day (which are just placement trips to/from the depot) but they take 150,000 visitors per year. Between the two adjacent attractions, 550,000 visitors per year and basically no usable bus service.
Again, back when I was more familar with it, I wouldn't have described the train service between Carmarthen and Haverfordwest as shambolic (I understand it has gone downhill recently). Yes it was only every two hours but the class 175s tended to be a good choice rolling stock once you got west of Llanelli (further east they needed more carriages to cope with demand out of Cardiff and Swansea, particularly at peak times, and travel via Swansea is not competitive with the M4). Fishguard and Pembroke Dock though have been rather poorly served for some time now, with frequent use of class 150s and a 5 hour afternoon gap in Fishguard services.

To top it off, the 349 Haverfordwest - Tenby service which links many towns is now being cut from hourly to every 90 minutes from October 29th.
Ouch. Guessing the 348 (Haverfordwest-Monkton) has already gone in which case the 349 would be the main/only bus service linking Pembroke and Pembroke Dock with Haverfordwest.

They could use Pembrokeshire as a test bed as it is an area without big group operator
There is a First Cymru depot in Haverfordwest, so Pembs. isn't entirely without a 'big group operator'.

TrawsCymru (and TrawsCymru Connect) is not a bus operator - it is a brand like Fflecsi with operation contracted out to bus operators (the T1 to First Cymru, the T5 and T11 to Richards Bros etc.).

First only has 2 routes and they are both partly funded in some way.
That's quite a fall - if I recall correctly they used to have 4 (302, 348, 349 and one I cannot remember the name of (maybe 356?) between Pembroke/Monkton and Milford Haven) and I thought most of those ran without council support though I could be wrong.

Richard Bros is just a contractor. You can very easily make the contract finish or issue a short enough contract
If I recall correctly, Richards Bros always used to run the 410 (Fishguard-Goodwick Town Service) themselves without council support and the 412 (now T5 South) and possibly 411 (now part of the T11) had something like 'service run on behalf of Pembrokeshire County Council' notes at the top of individual timetable columns (as opposed to a single note coving the whole timetable) becuase there were one or two trips that ran without council support. The T5 andT11 are fully-contracted now I expect, but I'm not sure if the 410 survived COVID as a commercial service.

I'm afraid being from Haverfordwest all their routes are now branded as T routes ie traws cymru for the most part.
In terms of 'T' services Haverfordwest only has the T5 (TrawsCymru) and T11 (TrawsCymru Connect) isn't it?

Anonymous10

Established Member
Admittedly I've not been out on the buses much for a few years now for a number of reasons (COVID restrictions being one of them for a good chunk of that time) so have very little recent experience, but back when I was using them fairly often I would not have described Richards Bros as a "low quality operator". Quite the contrary; I think they're great...

Again, back when I was more familar with it, I wouldn't have described the train service between Carmarthen and Haverfordwest as shambolic (I understand it has gone downhill recently). Yes it was only every two hours but the class 175s tended to be a good choice rolling stock once you got west of Llanelli (further east they needed more carriages to cope with demand out of Cardiff and Swansea, particularly at peak times, and travel via Swansea is not competitive with the M4). Fishguard and Pembroke Dock though have been rather poorly served for some time now, with frequent use of class 150s and a 5 hour afternoon gap in Fishguard services.

Ouch. Guessing the 348 (Haverfordwest-Monkton) has already gone in which case the 349 would be the main/only bus service linking Pembroke and Pembroke Dock with Haverfordwest.

There is a First Cymru depot in Haverfordwest, so Pembs. isn't entirely without a 'big group operator'.

TrawsCymru (and TrawsCymru Connect) is not a bus operator - it is a brand like Fflecsi with operation contracted out to bus operators (the T1 to First Cymru, the T5 and T11 to Richards Bros etc.).

That's quite a fall - if I recall correctly they used to have 4 (302, 348, 349 and one I cannot remember the name of (maybe 356?) between Pembroke/Monkton and Milford Haven) and I thought most of those ran without council support though I could be wrong.

If I recall correctly, Richards Bros always used to run the 410 (Fishguard-Goodwick Town Service) themselves without council support and the 412 (now T5 South) and possibly 411 (now part of the T11) had something like 'service run on behalf of Pembrokeshire County Council' notes at the top of individual timetable columns (as opposed to a single note coving the whole timetable) becuase there were one or two trips that ran without council support. The T5 andT11 are fully-contracted now I expect, but I'm not sure if the 410 survived COVID as a commercial service.

In terms of 'T' services Haverfordwest only has the T5 (TrawsCymru) and T11 (TrawsCymru Connect) isn't it?
Yes first now only operate a full service on the 349, 302 and 356.

Re trawscymru: yes I'm aware they're not a company and have a separate operator my intent was to name the big 3 so to speak.

Yes Haverfordwest is only the t5 and t11 with the 410 in Fishguard also being Richards bros (unsure if they're traws liveried or richards)

markymark2000

On Moderation
The same Richard Bros who split the T5 and refuse to guarantee connections between the two separate parts despite being the exact same route number, ran by the same firm? Checking punctuality on the T11 today and none of the buses have got into St Davids on time today. That is from either direction. Richard Bros just plod on and if they catch up, they catch up. Despite having plenty of TrawsCymru vehicles, they manage to still send out buses not in livery and they also have the oldest TrawsCymru fleet.

They aren't the worst operator but they aren't the best either with minimal promotion and now they are the same as most other Wales operators, want the Welsh Govt to pay all of the bills.

The frequency of the trains isn't awful (given the area), the reliability is however. Services west of Carmarthen have been dismal since Covid with almost daily cancellations or severe delays. Mostly seem to be operated by 150 and 153s these days due to the better trains being needed elsewhere. With the unreliability, people need transport that they can be certain of. Unreliable transport costs people their jobs and if the buses were better, it could really create that reliable transport link that is really needed.

First West Wales run these routes.
302 (which is marked on the registration as funded in part by Pembs CC)
349 (which is marked on the registration as funded in part by Pembs CC and is just about to have quite a hefty cut)
356 (which is marked on the registration as fully funded by Pembs CC)
X49 is commercial but it is a one single journey placement trip

The 410 is marked as partly funded.

I can see what you mean about the council timetables saying if they are ran on behalf of the council and I can't see this note on the 410 but I am going off the registration which could mean it's just the school trip which is funded, no more details are given.

To top it off, the 349 Haverfordwest - Tenby service which links many towns is now being cut from hourly to every 90 minutes from October 29th.
Something new to note is that Pembrokeshire Council has marked this as just for the winter suggesting that come maybe March, it will go back up to hourly.
The frequency of the First Cymru 349 route will drop from an hourly service to every 90 minutes during the winter months (changes will take effect from 29th October onwards).

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
I believe that the tendered 356 is fully funded and that they've had since Silcox went bust.
I think @Anonymous10 was referring to Richard Bros services to Haverfordwest rather than bus services per se
The 348 went just before Covid so that corridor went from half hourly to hourly IIRC. Now every 90 mins. Frankly amazed that they've kept the depot going.
First West Wales run these routes.
302 (which is marked on the registration as funded in part by Pembs CC)
349 (which is marked on the registration as funded in part by Pembs CC and is just about to have quite a hefty cut)
356 (which is marked on the registration as fully funded by Pembs CC)
X49 is commercial but it is a one single journey placement trip
Suspect that much of those "part fundings" are de minimis or odd journeys e.g. is the 1905 302 from Haverfordwest on a Saturday commercial?

Dai Corner

Established Member
The same Richard Bros who split the T5 and refuse to guarantee connections between the two separate parts despite being the exact same route number, ran by the same firm? Checking punctuality on the T11 today and none of the buses have got into St Davids on time today. That is from either direction. Richard Bros just plod on and if they catch up, they catch up. Despite having plenty of TrawsCymru vehicles, they manage to still send out buses not in livery and they also have the oldest TrawsCymru fleet.
Don't TfW specify the Trawscymru tables and monitor the operators' performance?

Status
Not open for further replies.