• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Pending paint warranty claim against Hitachi…?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

fgwrich

Established Member
Or is it just 802005 that has big areas of exposed metal around the passenger doors?

I've noticed quite a few of the GW Fleet either has flaking paint around the end of the vehicles or signs of bubbling coming from underneath. It's not a good look already.

Attachments

• 6659E581-CB96-4453-8723-1FDF01CB6903.jpeg
    6659E581-CB96-4453-8723-1FDF01CB6903.jpeg
    646.2 KB · Views: 158

O L Leigh

Established Member
Just wondering if all the affected units are Pistoia-built and whether we’re seeing another example of the now legendary AnsaldoBreda build quality.

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
Warranty issues with GW/LNER 800/801s are Hitachi's problem - they are owned by Agility Trains not the TOCs.
802s and other TOC/Rosco-owned AT300s will be different.

On Moderation
Warranty issues with GW/LNER 800/801s are Hitachi's problem - they are owned by Agility Trains not the TOCs.
802s and other TOC/Rosco-owned AT300s will be different.
None of the TOCs own their AT300s, they are all leased. And regardless of who owns them, it's still Hitachi's problem - there is normally a paint warranty in new train contracts that is valid for many years.

Clarence Yard

Established Member
It’s nothing to do with cracks - it’s just the paint job not lasting. Unfortunately not uncommon with Hitachi, wherever they are built.

Energy

Established Member
Maybe they were investigating more cracks
Not if its by the doors, the cracking was around the bogies.
It’s nothing to do with cracks - it’s just the paint job not lasting. Unfortunately not uncommon with Hitachi, wherever they are built.
Oh. Wonder if it also affects the Shinkansens Hitachi has made.

Last edited:

AM9

Veteran Member
All this relating failures to the Pistoia plant's past issues.is irrelevant. It's a Hitachi design, under Hitachi manufacturing control. I doubt that any of the Ansaldi-Breda culture remains there.

Clarence Yard

Established Member
Exactly. It seems to be a specification issue, although getting Hitachi to admit it is another matter!

northernbelle

I don't believe it is a paint issue - it looks more like metal corrosion under the paint leading to it flaking off. The fact that the vinyl is also bubbling in the same areas on the 800/0s would suggest this.

O L Leigh

Established Member
All this relating failures to the Pistoia plant's past issues.is irrelevant. It's a Hitachi design, under Hitachi manufacturing control. I doubt that any of the Ansaldi-Breda culture remains there.

All the signs so far seem to suggest that the plant has turned a corner, no doubt helped by them building someone else’s design. That said, it takes more than simply changing the name over the door to address any underlying issues with the culture within the workforce.

I don't believe it is a paint issue - it looks more like metal corrosion under the paint leading to it flaking off. The fact that the vinyl is also bubbling in the same areas on the 800/0s would suggest this.

But the vinyls are stuck to the paint not the metal, so if the paint is coming away from the body it will take the vinyl with it. I would also tentatively suggest that any dulling of the metal is due to exposure to the air as a consequence of the paint coming off rather than being the cause of it. Given that the majority of problems reported so far are around door apertures and coach ends, it seems likely that Hitachi have had problems bonding the paint to the body shells and that it is under some stress due to the curvature at those points causing it to lift.

Noddy

But the vinyls are stuck to the paint not the metal, so if the paint is coming away from the body it will take the vinyl with it. I would also tentatively suggest that any dulling of the metal is due to exposure to the air as a consequence of the paint coming off rather than being the cause of it. Given that the majority of problems reported so far are around door apertures and coach ends, it seems likely that Hitachi have had problems bonding the paint to the body shells and that it is under some stress due to the curvature at those points causing it to lift.

Or it’s caused by the trains brushing (or hitting at speed) vegetation on the lineside, causing small amounts of damage to the paint, allowing air and water in, which in turn is causing the metal corrosion, and this is causing the larger flaking issues….

Last edited:

Taunton

Established Member
Or it’s caused by the trains brushing (or hitting at speed) vegetation on the lineside, causing small amounts of damage to the paint, allowing air and water in, which in turn is causing the metal corrosion, and this is causing the larger flaking issues….
The Paddington line ran painted HSTs for years with uncleared lineside vegetation brushing the sides of trains, as discussed here previously - look at the Bath fatality, or the Cotswold single line stretches with bushes and trees brushing both sides of the train at once. Yet they didn't get such damage.

D6130

Established Member
In that case should the TOC be claiming from Network rail for the damage?

VP185

I suspect it’s caused by striking lineside vegetation. All the sets suffering from this kind of damage all have it in roughly the same position on the door apertures, maybe not helped by length of the vehicles?

Noddy

The Paddington line ran painted HSTs for years with uncleared lineside vegetation brushing the sides of trains, as discussed here previously - look at the Bath fatality, or the Cotswold single line stretches with bushes and trees brushing both sides of the train at once. Yet they didn't get such damage.

I don’t doubt that. I suspect the Hitachi trains have both paint that is more susceptible to damage, and metal that is more susceptible to this type of surface corrosion. But it’s the vegetation that causes the initial damage.

Clarence Yard

Established Member
It isn’t corrosion - it’s the bond between paint and body being disturbed and therefore the paintwork starts to lift.

SHD

Aren't 802s aluminium-bodied trains?

northernbelle

I am reasonably well versed in what happens to paint finishes on vehicles. If there's an issue with paint adhering to the bodyside it will usually chip or flake off. It appears to be bubbling on the 80x fleet which is why I'm sure it's corrosion related as it indicates a chemical reaction of some sort.

Aluminium and steel don't mix well - you get a chemical reaction called galvanic corrosion where the electrons in the aluminium transfer to the neighbouring steel and the aluminium becomes more susceptible to corrosion.

If you look at where the paintwork tends to bubble on other rolling stock, it's where aluminium and steel are in close proximity; HSTs have aluminium window frames next to steel bodywork and they corrode. 158s have aluminium bodyshells and the bubbling on those occurs next to steel fittings - window vents, frames and yaw dampers for example.

It also occurs on vehicles (buses as well) where aluminium panels are in close proximity to steel framework.

I don't think repairing the paintwork will resolve the root cause of the problem here.

Last edited:

Clarence Yard

Established Member
Agreed, it will require a bit more than paint to fix this if there has been any electrolytic reaction, such as between steel and aluminium.

I own a 53 year old series 2a lightweight Land Rover and where the steel front bulkhead meets the aluminium is an area where the paintwork has to be kept in good order because if you don’t and you get water in there, it can get expensive. The lower part gets salt too so about every 15 to 20 years it usually needs a bit of welding somewhere down there. I have to use an etch primer on the aluminium side panels if I do any painting because it won’t adhere otherwise.

If it is just water ingress you can get bubbling beneath the vinyl on an 800 but the trick is not to allow the water to get between the paint/vinyl seal and the aluminium in the first place, either by picking a durable specification for the paint/vinyl (with the right surface thickness) or by regular maintenance of the vulnerable areas.

Noddy

Glad we’re in agreement it is some form of corrosion! Various type discussed here https://www.alumeco.com/knowledge-technique/general/corrosion-of-aluminium-surfaces/

Going back to the original question of warranty claim. I think it will depended on the IET spec for the 800s and whether Hitachi met it (I guess if they did there can’t be a claim). For the 802s and later I guess it will be what the small print of the paint warranty includes or excludes!

Last edited:

GRALISTAIR

Established Member
I am reasonably well versed in what happens to paint finishes on vehicles. If there's an issue with paint adhering to the bodyside it will usually chip or flake off. It appears to be bubbling on the 80x fleet which is why I'm sure it's corrosion related as it indicates a chemical reaction of some sort.

Aluminium and steel don't mix well - you get a chemical reaction called galvanic corrosion where the electrons in the aluminium transfer to the neighbouring steel and the aluminium becomes more susceptible to corrosion.

If you look at where the paintwork tends to bubble on other rolling stock, it's where aluminium and steel are in close proximity; HSTs have aluminium window frames next to steel bodywork and they corrode. 158s have aluminium bodyshells and the bubbling on those occurs next to steel fittings - window vents, frames and yaw dampers for example.

It also occurs on vehicles (buses as well) well aluminium panels are in close proximity to steel framework.

Yes. Just for the science Al is -1.67 volts with respect to Hydrogen potential (assigned 0 by convention). Fe is -0.44 volts. So a driving voltage of 1.23 volts which is quite high. A bimetallic couple (galvanic corrosion) with corrosion almost designed into the system. Sure, you can get paint to adhere to metals - but not to corrosion products. Zinc and Aluminium are notoriously difficult. In the aircraft industry, they have to use Strontium Chromate pigment.

I don't think repairing the paintwork will resolve the root cause of the problem here.
I will reserve judgement, but I tend to agree with you.

AM9

Veteran Member
I suspect it’s caused by striking lineside vegetation. All the sets suffering from this kind of damage all have it in roughly the same position on the door apertures, maybe not helped by length of the vehicles?
The length of the vehicles doesn't make any difference, - they are cleared for the routes that they use.

Status
Not open for further replies.