• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Pendolino full reset??

Status
Not open for further replies.

gg1

Established Member
I'm currently sat in a Pendo in New Street and heard an announcement I've never encountered before, "It's necessary to perform a full reseet before the train can proceed" (or words to that effect) internal lights went out for a couple of minutes and we're now powered up again.

Just curious as to what a 'full reset' actually entails and why one may have been required mid-journey.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I'm currently sat in a Pendo in New Street and heard an announcement I've never encountered before, "It's necessary to perform a full reseet before the train can proceed" (or words to that effect) internal lights went out for a couple of minutes and we're now powered up again.

Just curious as to what a 'full reset' actually entails and why one may have been required mid-journey.

I've had that happen to me on a couple of occasions as well - it was described as "re-booting the train computer"! I think what happens is all the on-board systems that manage, for example, the tilt system are reset.

Chuggington21

I'd imagine it's effectively what's called a pan drill. Drop the pantograph from the wires and trip all the batteries. So almost everything will go off and any electric doors will shut. Driver will wait the suggested time and then reverse the process. Batteries on (will probably wait until the computer has come to life and self tested) then put the pan up. And take a good few mins depends on set

Fincra5

Established Member
Quite common for modern EMUs (and the like) to be reset due to generic technical issues. On SN its pretty much the default option from fleet for fixing issues :D
giphy.webp

DarloRich

Veteran Member

Unplug it, turn it off & then turn it back on again ;)

I have heard the same thing once, also at New Street, i didn't pay much attention till everything went dark!

Up_Tilt_390

All the good old tactic of turning it off and on again. Think this happened to me once at Carlisle. Don’t remember the whole details though myself.

CMS

This happened to me on a Eurostar e320 recently - the train literally turned off and on again and we were underway fairly soon after (the PIS only displayed 'EUROSTAR' though, instead of 'Ebbsfleet Int'l, London'.

Nicks

I was once on a Boeing 737, before departure the Captain announced that there was a technical problem and that he would be turning everything off and on again to reset the systems!

Status
Not open for further replies.