• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Pendolino stabling Midlands

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pen Mill

I've become absolutely fascinated by the West Coast operation since it has been the main focal point of the forum for a little while !

I'm interested in one piece of logistics information regarding the service from Euston to Birmingham and Wolverhampton.
From my study it looks like there are 3 WC trains an hour , 2 of which terminate at Brum and 1 at Wolves. That is until the end of the day when the last 6 trains all terminate at Wolves. The first 6 trains in the morning start at Wolves and then it goes back to the pattern of 2 * BHM and 1 * WVH. My question is this . Where actually do these sets stable overnight ?

Thanks
Pen Mill

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

jimm

Established Member
I've become absolutely fascinated by the West Coast operation since it has been the main focal point of the forum for a little while !

I'm interested in one piece of logistics information regarding the service from Euston to Birmingham and Wolverhampton.
From my study it looks like there are 3 WC trains an hour , 2 of which terminate at Brum and 1 at Wolves. That is until the end of the day when the last 6 trains all terminate at Wolves. The first 6 trains in the morning start at Wolves and then it goes back to the pattern of 2 * BHM and 1 * WVH. My question is this . Where actually do these sets stable overnight ?

Thanks
Pen Mill

Oxley depot at wolverhampton.

Crossover

Established Member
Just to add a little - Oxley depot is passed when heading on the line towards Shrewsbury (hence why it is electrified for a short distance)

Also, the services that terminate at Wolverhampton during the day do one of two things - sometimes they stay on the platform (I forget the number) and get cleaned ready for the return, or, at busier times, to keep platform space, they run ECS to Oxley and then come back later. Staying on the platform is the more usual sight though

Pen Mill

Just to add a little - Oxley depot is passed when heading on the line towards Shrewsbury (hence why it is electrified for a short distance)

Also, the services that terminate at Wolverhampton during the day do one of two things - sometimes they stay on the platform (I forget the number) and get cleaned ready for the return, or, at busier times, to keep platform space, they run ECS to Oxley and then come back later. Staying on the platform is the more usual sight though
I'm a bit out of touch with that area , I remember Oxley as carriage sidings , is it still just that or are there maintenance facilities for the power cars now ?

dvboy

Established Member

If they are going onto Oxley, platform 1. If they have come from Oxley, platform 4. If they are turning round in the station platform 2. Rare for a train to go up to Oxley and come back within half an hour now, they just turn them at Wolves.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Not all Euston-West Midlands services start from Oxley, by the way, some are crewed from London so presumably trains are stabled near there too.

Crossover

Established Member
I'm a bit out of touch with that area , I remember Oxley as carriage sidings , is it still just that or are there maintenance facilities for the power cars now ?

I believe they can do light maintenance there, as well as cleaning and stabling. Major works are done at Longsight as far as I know.
If they are going onto Oxley, platform 1. If they have come from Oxley, platform 4. If they are turning round in the station platform 2. Rare for a train to go up to Oxley and come back within half an hour now, they just turn them at Wolves.
Not all Euston-West Midlands services start from Oxley, by the way, some are crewed from London so presumably trains are stabled near there too.

Thanks for filling in the gaps :)

Status
Not open for further replies.