• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Penzance-Aberdeen 1S45 - Diversion (1/07/23) Other possible diversions to extend the longest Journey?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Requeststop

I notice that the 06:33 1S45 Penzance-Aberdeen Cross Country service is being diverted today and reversing twice both at Bristol Parkway and at Newport and being sent up to Gloucester, via Chepstow and Lydney. What is the added distance to todays longest Journey? Are their other possible diversions that could add to the total of miles covered by this service?

Congratulations by the way to anyone wanting to cover the longest possible journey by doing the Penzance-Aberdeen run. You can claim a few extra miles on other claimants.

PS if you're wanting to do the journey with the extra milage via the diversion, you'd better get to Penzance station pretty pronto as at the time of writing you have just less that 30 minutes to buy the ticket and catch the train.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Established Member
I notice that the 06:33 1S45 Penzance-Aberdeen Cross Country service is being diverted today and reversing twice both at Bristol Parkway and at Newport and being sent up to Gloucester, via Chepstow and Lydney. What is the added distance to todays longest Journey? Are their other possible diversions that could add to the total of miles covered by this service?

Congratulations by the way to anyone wanting to cover the longest possible journey by doing the Penzance-Aberdeen run. You can claim a few extra miles on other claimants.

PS if you're wanting to do the journey with the extra milage via the diversion, you'd better get to Penzance station pretty pronto as at the time of writing you have just less that 30 minutes to buy the ticket and catch the train.
It could theoretically go via the Erewash. Not sure what the effect on mileage of a Cross City diversion would be either.

clagmonster

Established Member
Off the top of my head, and limited to what Cross Country crews sign:
Taunton - Bristol via Westbury (not sure if XC currently sign this)
Cheltenham - Birmingham via Worcester / Old Hill
Kings Norton - New Street via Camp Hill
Birmingham - Burton via Lichfield
Derby - Chesterfield via Toton
Chesterfield - Sheffield via Beighton
Sheffield - Leeds via Barnsley, not sure what of this and the various permutations of routes around Wakefield XC sign these days
Leeds - York via Castleford
Edinburgh Suburban
Fife Circle

I have omitted Leeds to York via the Swinton and Knottingley as they would make the journey shorter.

Also ommitted things like Yeovil, Avonmouth, Durham Coast and Tyne Valley as whilst reasonable diversions, I don't think they are signed by the appropriate traincrew and would be unlikely to be used.

Peterthegreat

Established Member
Sheffield - Leeds via Barnsley, not sure what of this and the various permutations of routes around Wakefield XC sign these days
Edinburgh Suburban
Fife Circle

I have omitted Leeds to York via the Swinton and Knottingley as they would make the journey shorter.

Also ommitted things like Yeovil, Avonmouth, Durham Coast and Tyne Valley as whilst reasonable diversions, I don't think they are signed by the appropriate traincrew and would be unlikely to be used.
You can add Sheffield to Leeds via Doncaster to the list.

Snow1964

Established Member

Yes it is a valid XC route, the 0607 Bristol-Penzance (Saturdays) is routed this way (although todays service arrived at Taunton 35 minutes early, so presumably went direct)

The exile

Established Member
Do XC still have route knowledge to divert Bristol -Birmingham via Oxford?
Different route - but my parents still regale me occasionally with the journey they once made from Bristol to Edinburgh which was diverted via Oxford, Manchester, Appleby and Cumbernauld. My mother was not amused - I would have been!

jagardner1984

Different route - but my parents still regale me occasionally with the journey they once made from Bristol to Edinburgh which was diverted via Oxford, Manchester, Appleby and Cumbernauld. My mother was not amused - I would have been!
Cumbernauld would be wearing the joke thin from multiple perspectives :D

The exile

Established Member
Cumbernauld would be wearing the joke thin from multiple perspectives :D
Well, Carstairs - Motherwell - Falkirk - Edinburgh it certainly was.... It would only have taken Cannock and the GSWR to have meant its coverage of the "normal" route would have added up to a sum total of less than 20 miles.

D1537

I did Durham Coast on LNER during engineering work in January, so I presume the XC trains went the same way.

The Planner

Veteran Member
XC dont accept multiple diversions within a certain journey time, so its unlikely you would ever get more than one.

JamesT

Established Member
Looking in RTT for the next week I’m not seeing any XC trains going via Foxhall Junction, which I believe was what they used to do for route retention of the diversion. I have a friend who sat on a train that reversed there in the past.

The Planner

Veteran Member
Looking in RTT for the next week I’m not seeing any XC trains going via Foxhall Junction, which I believe was what they used to do for route retention of the diversion. I have a friend who sat on a train that reversed there in the past.
They will still reverse there if needed. They will be terminating at Didcot and Leamington and Banbury for the Oxford block.

Established Member
They will still reverse there if needed. They will be terminating at Didcot and Leamington and Banbury for the Oxford block.
I did that reversal on both XC and GWR on a Sunday last year.

Also done a reversal out of Bristol which involved heading towards Bath, stopping and reversing via Dr. Days Junction while Temple Meads was being remodeled a couple of years back.

FlybeDash8Q400

Established Member
I did Durham Coast on LNER during engineering work in January, so I presume the XC trains went the same way.
XC don’t sign the Durham Coast.

One I haven’t seen mentioned that they do sign is the Shotts Line, this was booked to be used constantly while the Carstairs upgrade was taking place but outside of that it’s quite rare. This obviously wouldn’t affect a Penzance to Aberdeen or vice versa train.

Class 170101

Established Member
The only other route I can think of would be via Leicester between Birmingham and Derby.

Spursglory

On Moderation
Edinburgh Suburban
Fife Circle

What was the full route taken via Edinburgh Suburban, Fife Circle and Avonmouth?

Status
Not open for further replies.