• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

People buying houses with associated noise (churches, railways etc) and then complaining about the noise?

JKF

No one has mentioned living near pubs yet!
There was a nice small pub in Brighton where I played a gig once, and a developer had built crappy flats literally in a ‘U’ shape around the building. Hence lots of noise complaints from residents. Bands don’t play there anymore as a result of this (not sure if it’s even still open). You’d have hoped the planning process would have offered some protection or demanded decent sound insulation on the new building (or a contribution to the costs for fitting it at the venue).

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Richard Scott

Established Member
I did and you forget about it. Occasionally check if something I want to see is coming past but, more often than not, I forget!
Mind you a 66 is actually very noisy at 3am on a summer night when I have the windows open.
None of the neighbours moan about the trains as we've got used to them.
The dogs barking though.....

Last edited:

Eyersey468

Established Member
At Elvington near York the villagers complain if the old runways are used to land aircraft on, they also complain about them being used for driver training. Presumably they would rather they just sat there and crumbled apart due to disuse

JKF

At Elvington near York the villagers complain if the old runways are used to land aircraft on, they also complain about them being used for driver training. Presumably they would rather they just sat there and crumbled apart due to disuse
I imagine they’d express displeasure if someone starting building houses on the site too…

Calthrop

Established Member
And if the Derwent Valley Light Railway, which served Elvington; were still in use -- one daily return goods train -- one wonders if they would whinge about that also :smile: ?

Fermiboson

There was a nice small pub in Brighton where I played a gig once, and a developer had built crappy flats literally in a ‘U’ shape around the building. Hence lots of noise complaints from residents. Bands don’t play there anymore as a result of this (not sure if it’s even still open). You’d have hoped the planning process would have offered some protection or demanded decent sound insulation on the new building (or a contribution to the costs for fitting it at the venue).
My first year dorm was directly opposite a bar with very late opening hours. Every night, we’d be treated to some very loud and drunk people proclaiming their immense and sincere desire to copulate with the mothers of various politicians and public figures.

D365

Veteran Member
When wishing by buy a property, having paid the solicitor acting on your behalf to make a full survey, you would expect that the researches carried out during that survey would have brought matters appertaining to noise that would detrimentally affect the prospective property purchaser to their attention, which could then give the purchaser the chance to seek another property away from the noise pollution.
I was very reassured to find out that my latest purchase [in Derbyshire] is not situated within 200 metres of a working railway line, which includes London Underground, DLR, Merseyrail, Tyne & Wear Metro, Glasgow Subway or HS2 (2016). The only railway line within 200 metres turned out to be the former Great Northern route to Mickleover..!

Bantamzen

Established Member
:D that shows the age of some of us!
This town...
Is coming like a ghost town....

It seems to be a bit of a British pastime, complaining about everyone else going about their days. I sometimes wonder if people buy places where there is likely to be noise disturbance just so they can go full on moaning. My favourites are people who buy homes near football grounds, then complain that large numbers of people walk past a couple of times a month. Or better still people who moan that clubs become more popular over the years and thus attract larger crowds. I've heard a few of those tales over the years.

341o2

Established Member
welcome to Lymington, the snootiest town on the south coast
The fun - for want of a better word - started with the closure of Woolworths, and the suggestion that an Argos store could be opened there.
One of the shopkeepers who basically sells expensive tat to the tourists suggested that an Argos store would lower the tone of the high street, and would surely be better suited to neighbuoring Pennington.
A delightfully witty letter appeared in the local paper to say indeed the two towns should be seperated, provided the good citizens of Lymington were still able to receive deliveries of coal and milk.
Lymington has a street market, the next target was the butcher's stall, and another of these snooty women demanded the stall should not be outside her shop because the smell was detrimental to her trade.
Then one of these weekend townies brought a flat on the quay and immediately started complaining about the Chinese takeaway and restaraunt next door, demanding it closed early when she was occupying the flat.
Then there was the saga of the Wetherspoon's pub opening next door to the church

PeterC

Established Member
It seems to be a bit of a British pastime, complaining about everyone else going about their days. I sometimes wonder if people buy places where there is likely to be noise disturbance just so they can go full on moaning.
I realised long ago that there is a disturbingly large minority of people who will go out of their way to be inconvenienced or offended so that they can get "15 minutes of fame" from their complaints.

Purple Train

Established Member
It seems to be a bit of a British pastime, complaining
Fixed that for you.

These kinds of ridiculous complaints are nothing new. I think it was on this forum that I found an excellent list of complaints Thomas Cook (or possibly Thomson) had received from holidaymakers, along the lines of, "We would like to complain. We went to Spain. The taxi drivers only spoke Spanish. No one informed us of this."

Bantamzen

Established Member
Fixed that for you.

These kinds of ridiculous complaints are nothing new. I think it was on this forum that I found an excellent list of complaints Thomas Cook (or possibly Thomson) had received from holidaymakers, along the lines of, "We would like to complain. We went to Spain. The taxi drivers only spoke Spanish. No one informed us of this."
Aye good point, TripAdvisor is full of such complaints!

Sun Chariot

Established Member
2 miles and 50 years away from the Longmoor Milita
Years ago I read about a scamming couple (the UK location escapes my memory) who had dined at various restaurants and, at the end of their eating, one or both would complain about the awful food and how it was unfit for consumption let alone paying for it.

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
This would be equally at home in the "Other News Thread", but it's probably more appropriate to post it here.

Cows can keep mooing at night, French parliament rules​

New law says people who decide to live next to an existing farm, shop, bar or restaurant cannot complain about noise

Anyone thinking of moving to the French countryside who objects to being woken by crowing cockerels, mooing cows, the sound of tractors or the smell of manure will be sent packing from the courts from now on.
The French parliament has adopted a law in an effort to put an end to hundreds of noise compliant court cases brought by disgruntled neighbours every year, mostly new arrivals from towns seeking rural peace and quiet.

“Those who move to the countryside cannot demand that country people who feed them change their way of life,” the justice minister, Éric Dupond-Moretti, said last year when the law was first introduced to parliament.
When tackled about the issue at the annual agriculture salon in March, he added it was “surreal that courts are being clogged up … with disputes about cows mooing at night”.

“What should be done? Sedate them? If you don’t like the countryside, you stay in the city, and if you go to the countryside you adapt to the countryside as it is already.”
From now, people who decide to live near, next to or above an existing farm, shop, bar or restaurant cannot complain about the noise or other inconveniences.

It's one thing moving next to a pub or nightclub and complaining about the noise, but it's entirely another to move to the countryside and expect farm animals to remain silent! What's even more ludicrous is expecting wild animals to be quiet:
French judges have seen a number of complainants troop through their courts, including neighbours annoyed by Maurice the noisy rooster, who survived a legal attempt to silence him in 2019. Ducks, geese, cows and even cicadas have faced attempts to shut them up. In May last year, gendarmes turned up at the home of 92-year-old Colette Ferry to remove three frogs from her garden pond after complaints by neighbours.

A victory for common sense! :)

DC1989

I read a while ago that there's no such thing such as who was here first taken into account hence why people can buy flats next to nightclubs and then complaint to get them shut down

341o2

Established Member
There is, of course, the ninth Beatitude

"Blessed are they who do moan and whinge, for they get their own way in the end"

Baxenden Bank

Established Member
I read a while ago that there's no such thing such as who was here first taken into account hence why people can buy flats next to nightclubs and then complaint to get them shut down
An offence is an offence whether someone complains or not. The issue is whether that offence is investigated in the absence of a complaint.

For example if I put a brick through a shop window, the shopkeeper will likely complain and I can expect a visit from the police. If I put a brick through a derelict building window, the owner may not be bothered, so doesn't complain, so I don't get a visit from the police. An offence has still been committed though.

Similarly if a nightclub is very audible outside it's premises (eg through poor sound insulation or leaving doors open), then it may well be committing a noise nuisance. The fact that no-one has previously complained is something the club should be grateful for, not a reason for moaning if someone does then complain. The way to avoid the latter situation is not to commit the offence in the first place. Assume a complaint will be made and operate your premises accordingly.

Locally (Newcastle-under-Lyme) a Travelodge opened near to a long existing nightclub, hotel guests complained about the noise. The nightclub had to keep noise levels down. It always was an offence just that no-one complained until the hotel was built.
Alternatively sometimes the problem moves in next door. In Stone, a pub (Joules) was built near to existing flats. People expected (and perhaps looked forward to) a nice pub / restaurant, instead they got a live music venue, cue complaints from existing residents.

Natural sounds such as cows mooing and manure smelling are another matter.

Bantamzen

Established Member
This would be equally at home in the "Other News Thread", but it's probably more appropriate to post it here.

It's one thing moving next to a pub or nightclub and complaining about the noise, but it's entirely another to move to the countryside and expect farm animals to remain silent! What's even more ludicrous is expecting wild animals to be quiet:

A victory for common sense! :)
What the actual......??

I'm going to bet that at least some of those complaints were from British ex-pats buying up property over there.

DC1989

An offence is an offence whether someone complains or not. The issue is whether that offence is investigated in the absence of a complaint.

For example if I put a brick through a shop window, the shopkeeper will likely complain and I can expect a visit from the police. If I put a brick through a derelict building window, the owner may not be bothered, so doesn't complain, so I don't get a visit from the police. An offence has still been committed though.

Similarly if a nightclub is very audible outside it's premises (eg through poor sound insulation or leaving doors open), then it may well be committing a noise nuisance. The fact that no-one has previously complained is something the club should be grateful for, not a reason for moaning if someone does then complain. The way to avoid the latter situation is not to commit the offence in the first place. Assume a complaint will be made and operate your premises accordingly.

Locally (Newcastle-under-Lyme) a Travelodge opened near to a long existing nightclub, hotel guests complained about the noise. The nightclub had to keep noise levels down. It always was an offence just that no-one complained until the hotel was built.
Alternatively sometimes the problem moves in next door. In Stone, a pub (Joules) was built near to existing flats. People expected (and perhaps looked forward to) a nice pub / restaurant, instead they got a live music venue, cue complaints from existing residents.

Natural sounds such as cows mooing and manure smelling are another matter.

Jesus... no wonder I can't get a pint in London after 11pm and no wonder greggs can't sell a steak bake in Leicester square at 5.45am. Wouldn't want to commit some sort of noise offense as you are ordering.

DarloRich

Veteran Member

the most sensible post on this thread. It is amazing how people always jump on the complainant as being some sort of killjoy rather than a case of a business owner failing to meet his obligations.

I live near a very well known LGBQT nightclub and had them as a direct neighbour for many years. I heard nothing and I am a light sleeper. Why? Because they took the job of keeping the neighbours happy and installed proper sound control!

PS the worst noise from a pub: The emptying of the glass bin into the recycling truck.

PPS that club is open until 0630 (!) on a Friday and Saturday. I would often be going to work as people came out. Madness.

Baxenden Bank

Established Member
Jesus... no wonder I can't get a pint in London after 11pm and no wonder greggs can't sell a steak bake in Leicester square at 5.45am. Wouldn't want to commit some sort of noise offense as you are ordering.
There is however a difference between someone making 'a noise' and 'a statutory noise nuisance'. There is no right to absolute silence, like we are all monks or something, but there is protection against excessive and unnecessary noise. People having drink tend not to realise how loud they can get even when just talking, and at late night closing time how little background noise there is for that noise to blend in to as they wobble home. Not everyone likes Five Finger Death Punch from the sound system in the outdoor smoking area, strange as that may be! As for buying a Gregg's Steak Bake, that in itself should be a crime :lol:, whatever time of the day.

JKF

PS the worst noise from a pub: The emptying of the glass bin into the recycling truck.
Just tipping them into a bin is itself noisy enough. Our flat backs onto a pizza restaurant and they tip out the glass regular as clockwork around 11pm every night. Tbh I don’t even notice it anymore, I’ve tuned it out. Otherwise you can here a pin drop here.

Irregular noise tends to be more of a problem, I used to live in Hyde Park in Leeds which houses a lot of students from the nearby universities. It was not uncommon for house parties to happen midweek going on until daylight, and complaints would be met with ‘it’s a student area mate’ as though that made it OK, like nobody who had a job lived there. Student landlords didn’t bother with the 2 bed houses for a long time so you could get quiet streets, but the buy-to-let craze of the 90s (together with university growth) saw them move onto the smaller homes (squeezing in a few extra bedrooms) and it went rapidly downhill.

WAB

Irregular noise tends to be more of a problem, I used to live in Hyde Park in Leeds which houses a lot of students from the nearby universities. It was not uncommon for house parties to happen midweek going on until daylight, and complaints would be met with ‘it’s a student area mate’ as though that made it OK, like nobody who had a job lived there. Student landlords didn’t bother with the 2 bed houses for a long time so you could get quiet streets, but the buy-to-let craze of the 90s (together with university growth) saw them move onto the smaller homes (squeezing in a few extra bedrooms) and it went rapidly downhill.
Hyde Park is a complete student ghetto. Headingley is on its way to that sort of environment but seems to have fewer disruptive students. My bugbear living near the stadium in Headingley was not the noise from the flightpath into Leeds Bradford, nor the two churches with bells within earshot, but the PA system at the stadium crackling into life randomly in the middle of the night. The noise from that system really did carry, and was very noticeable at 3am!

Cloud Strife

Established Member
PPS that club is open until 0630 (!) on a Friday and Saturday. I would often be going to work as people came out. Madness.

A friend used to run an LGBT club that essentially didn't bother closing at the weekend. Officially, it was open till 3am and then open again from 7am, but in practice, it simply didn't shut between 7am Friday until 11pm on Sunday. It was tolerated by the licencing board and the police for multiple reasons, specifically that a) there was never any trouble, b) certain local well known figures were regulars and c) they were wise enough to look after drunk people rather than simply kicking them out to the street. Officially, they didn't serve booze between 3am and 7am, but in practice, the price of soft drinks just so happened to be raised between those hours.

Having said that, it was one club where you really, really didn't want to get on the wrong side of the bouncers. He had some genuinely hard men and women working on the door, the kind of people who walk into a room and command respect without saying a word.