• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

'Perfect day' on the railways?

Status
Not open for further replies.

J-2739

Established Member
All this talk about the disruption on the railways in terms of staff shortages, strikes, cancellations, and more, has got me wondering if there has ever been a day in the modern history of the railways (so maybe post-privatisation) where there has been no delays, no cancellations, anything of the sort; basically, where everything network-wide has gone to plan? Or if not, has there been a day things came close to being this type of 'perfect'?

Whilst we're at it, can anybody thing of a near 'perfect' week, month, even year??

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

LowLevel

Established Member
I wouldn't go as far as to say literally nothing happened, but the early lockdown days were extremely quiet and punctual. Not something to aspire to, of course - but many delays are caused by, or perhaps more fairly, contributed to, by passengers - and there really were not many of those!

hexagon789

Veteran Member
In modern history, I'd say 4th October 1976 was a very significant day. The introduction of 125mph HST services in Britain.
It wasn't quite perfect though, some HST workings were subbed by LHCS and the prototype set even had to be used as cover.

J-2739

Established Member
In modern history, I'd say 4th October 1976 was a very significant day. The introduction of 125mph HST services in Britain.
Whilst that must have been a very significant day for British transport, I'm not sure the introduction of new rolling stock is ever trouble-free!
It wasn't quite perfect though, some HST workings were subbed by LHCS and the prototype set even had to be used as cover.
Yes, that's what I'm getting at. Essentially the most punctual day.

Even though the Class 700s are some of my favourites, their first year was anything but trouble-free.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
I can remember a day in the summer of 2009 when every TOC was in the ‘green’, ie all had PPM better than 92%. First time that had happened for a long time.

Of course in the first lockdown in April 2020 we regularly had days of 97/98%. I would say the actual number of passengers who experienced delays on those days would have been the lowest in the modern era.

northernchris

Established Member
I can remember a day in the summer of 2009 when every TOC was in the ‘green’, ie all had PPM better than 92%. First time that had happened for a long time.

I seem to recall Northern managing 95% PPM across a month a few year back during the Serco/Abellio era. That's quite some achievement considering the stock, infrastructure and Northern's order of priority when things go wrong!

I do know that LNER have had a handful of 100% PPM days over the last few years.

colchesterken

On a personal level it was a day in June 1967, I was a 20 yr Old legal trainee, I was sent to Lymington for a property completion,
did not have a clue what I was doing but muddled through OK
Best bit was getting one of the last steam trains there and back, a rebuilt one of the Squadrons both times and getting the shuttle from Brockenhurst, went to see the engine when I arrived it did a great slipping start, rails must have been red hot, I think they were thrashing them for fun.
55 yrs ago but still a treasured memory

Mainline421

All this talk about the disruption on the railways in terms of staff shortages, strikes, cancellations, and more, has got me wondering if there has ever been a day in the modern history of the railways (so maybe post-privatisation) where there has been no delays, no cancellations, anything of the sort; basically, where everything network-wide has gone to plan? Or if not, has there been a day things came close to being this type of 'perfect'?

Whilst we're at it, can anybody thing of a near 'perfect' week, month, even year??
LNER achieved 100% PPM (Public performance measure) on one day a couple of years ago (pre-2020). Although it's probably never happened on a national level.

dk1

Veteran Member
Wouldn’t be very interesting or discussion making if perfect came into things too often. Be the end of this forum for a start lol.

AndrewE

Established Member
Again, pre-privatisation, but I was in the reception area of Stanier House in Brum late one afternoon when Ivor Warburton (LMR COM?) was leaving. He looked at the full house of "on time" departures on the New St departure board which was displayed there too and said with satisfaction "That's what I like to see!"
I'm sure I have had more easy / on-time journeys over the ears than disrupted ones, but there have been quite a few stinkers which stick in the mind!

whoosh

Established Member
During the first lockdown I was on time to the second pretty much, on many days.

But it was an altered timetable!

Philip

On Moderation
In terms of general good years, is it fair to say that the period from 2003-2017 was a good era for the railways? Network Rail had replaced Railtrack and maintenance had improved; there were the Grayrigg and Ufton Nervet crashes but otherwise it was a very safe era and were there any notable periods of industrial unrest or timetable disruption? The 2008 timetable had a few teething problems but I don't remember huge disruption, at least compared to 2018.

How about 1995-98?

Did much happen on 11th April 1954? Statistically the most boring day of the 20th Century.

Established Member
Said it before but working at Stratford during the 2012 Olympics was as perfect as it got. Not only was the train service as reliable as it could be, all the passengers were happy. A rare combination.

dk1

Veteran Member
Said it before but working at Stratford during the 2012 Olympics was as perfect as it got. Not only was the train service as reliable as it could be, all the passengers were happy. A rare combination.
Oh yes. Cost an absolute fortune with money no object. Wonderful few weeks though & doubt I’ll ever see the likes again.

davidknibb

When I was very young - there was a limited train service on Christmas Day. I remember going on a Euston to Berkhamsted train in about 1951. Or is it that at my age my memory is failing me ?

I also seem to remember that way back in BR days - then had 'on time days' where they tried their hardest to make sure that nothing was delayed. But of course this came in for the obvious criticism - if they could do it once then why not every day?

Magdalia

Established Member

Oh yes. Cost an absolute fortune with money no object. Wonderful few weeks though & doubt I’ll ever see the likes again.
I'm intrigued! What was the absolute fortune spent on?

I also seem to remember that way back in BR days - then had 'on time days' where they tried their hardest to make sure that nothing was delayed.
I have seen reference to these in papers in the National Archives. I think they had two beneficial effects. One was that they got senior people out of their offices onto the real railway, giving them direct experience of things instead of reading about them in memos. The other was that some of the efforts made lasted at least for a while after.

dk1

Veteran Member
I'm intrigued! What was the absolute fortune spent on?

All strategic junctions had their own S&T & others to ensure everyone was on site should there be the slightest issue. As traincrew we where give obscene bonuses not to go sick as where fleet tech staff who also agreed to work from home & be on call. This was without the suspension of any TOC delay minutes so as to allow connections & trains to be held for any over running of events.

Falcon1200

Established Member
Sometimes the Electric desk night shift Controllers in Glasgow went home having left a perfect start: Every single EMU defect cleared by the excellent night shift fitters, every diagram covered by the right class of set, every ECS leaving the Depots on time. Which is not to say that perfection lasted all day of course....

CaptainBen

Of course in the first lockdown in April 2020 we regularly had days of 97/98%. I would say the actual number of passengers who experienced delays on those days would have been the lowest in the modern era.
I suspect the number of passengers not affected by delays was also at a record-breaking low!

6Gman

Established Member
Again, pre-privatisation, but I was in the reception area of Stanier House in Brum late one afternoon when Ivor Warburton (LMR COM?) was leaving. He looked at the full house of "on time" departures on the New St departure board which was displayed there too and said with satisfaction "That's what I like to see!"
I'm sure I have had more easy / on-time journeys over the ears than disrupted ones, but there have been quite a few stinkers which stick in the mind!
From the same timeframe I recall the Regional Operating Manager's pleasure when we had a full day when every train into Euston was on time or early.

StevenF

Not sure what prompted your post (enquiry).It is unlikely anyone will be having a perfect day on the railway.
As a train enthusiast all my life, part of the enjoyment of leisure travel on the train was planning a day out (pouring over timetables etc).This is now an impossible misery and I have not renewed my Senior Rail Card again this year ( after loosing out on it , big time , during first year of Covid).
Perhaps I would be better inventing a rocket and going to the moon for my grand day out?

physics34

Established Member
Connex south central had a 100% day at one point in the late 90s. Amazing thinking of how many services they had

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.