• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Permitted route to Bude

modernrail

Hi. I am wanting to travel london (Clapham Junction) to Frome (SWT) on Thursday then Frome to Bude on Friday, then returning Bude to Frome the following week and then Frome to London.

I might not do the stop in Frome on the way back to London and might use the GWR rather than SWT route back into London.

Is this all permitted on a an off-peak return to Bude?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
There isn't a station in Bude. Where are you railheading to?

Do you mean Okehampton perhaps, then changing to the bus there? If so I believe both the Paddington and the Waterloo routes are Permitted.

Gloster

Established Member
Frome is mainly served by GWR and SWR trains are really a bit of an add on, so there may be restrictions with some tickets.

As said, you are nearly sixty years late for a train to Bude.

modernrail

Ha, just realised no station in Bude. Okehampton it is I suppose.

I am planning to take the bike and meeting family down there who will also have bikes. I assume no chance the bus will accept it and so looks like I will be stretching my legs unless a suitable bribe can be aimed at a family member with a car.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
The bus that runs from Okehampton to Bude calls at Exeter St David's station on its way to Okehampton.

It does, but as it's a regular double decker and now calls at Okehampton station I'd very much recommend changing there. It's a long, uncomfortable journey from Exeter with no toilets. Did it once, wouldn't do it again now there's a railway half way there.

That is going to make a difference.

Yep. If bikes are involved it will be necessary to get as far as possible by train (Okehampton) and cycle the rest of the way.

SargeNpton

Established Member
Through rail/bus fares are via Okehampton, so the route from Clapham Junction to Bude will be that as for Okehampton.

Doctor Fegg

Established Member
It's an enjoyable ride from Okehampton to Bude - NCN 27 and NCN 3, mostly along very quiet lanes. About 35 miles though you could cut it down to 30 if you don't mind cycling along A roads. Certainly hilly though!

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Is this all permitted on a an off-peak return to Bude?
Through rail/bus fares are via Okehampton, so the route from Clapham Junction to Bude will be that as for Okehampton.
Are there any Off Peak Returns available from Clapham Junction to/from Bude (Bus)? Can only see advances with routeing either via "AP Reading" or via "✠AP Slough".

Veteran Member
Are there any Off Peak Returns available from Clapham Junction to/from Bude (Bus)? Can only see advances with routeing either via "AP Reading" or via "✠AP Slough".
And there are NO fares from either Paddington or Waterloo.

The good news is that the cheapest flexible fares to Okehampton are routed WESTBURY SALISBURY which allows you to go via Frome - though you would need an Anytime Return (not much more expensive) to get the overnight stop outward.

To use the GWR route back to London would, because of the overnight stop outward, mean getting an excess fare NOT LONDON which would more than double the price :( Returning via Honiton would only add about 20%.

However, Exeter-Westbury-Salisbury-Clapham Jn is a decent route as well as cheapest.

(There may be cheaper ways of doing it with split tickets.)