• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Personal experience of Covid (Autumn/Winter 2021-22)

Status
Not open for further replies.

DustyBin

Established Member
My Fiancée tested positive last Friday after developing a dry cough. I tested negative but developed a sore throat a day later. Since then she’s continued to have a cough (it’s mild though and not really continuous) and a few muscle aches in her back (again slightly uncomfortable but nothing serious).

I seem to have had just about every symptom going, one at a time with the exception of the sore throat which has remained throughout (it’s fairly mild though). It’s like my immune system is playing Whac-A-Mole with the virus! The most unpleasant symptom was feeling cold yesterday evening and then having night sweats but it was no worse than what you often get with a common cold to be honest.

As of now My Fiancée has no symptoms other than a slight runny nose and I have a very mild sore throat still. I reckon I’m a day behind her in terms of both being infected and the recovery process.

For completeness/context we’re both in our mid-thirties, physically fit and healthy, and after much deliberation decided to decline the vaccine, for now at least.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

kristiang85

Established Member
My Fiancée tested positive last Friday after developing a dry cough. I tested negative but developed a sore throat a day later. Since then she’s continued to have a cough (it’s mild though and not really continuous) and a few muscle aches in her back (again slightly uncomfortable but nothing serious).

I seem to have had just about every symptom going, one at a time with the exception of the sore throat which has remained throughout (it’s fairly mild though). It’s like my immune system is playing Whac-A-Mole with the virus! The most unpleasant symptom was feeling cold yesterday evening and then having night sweats but it was no worse than what you often get with a common cold to be honest.

As of now My Fiancée has no symptoms other than a slight runny nose and I have a very mild sore throat still. I reckon I’m a day behind her in terms of both being infected and the recovery process.

For completeness/context we’re both in our mid-thirties, physically fit and healthy, and after much deliberation decided to decline the vaccine, for now at least.

Oddly this was exactly my experience back in September, though in my case it was me who got it first and my wife who had it afterwards (a couple of days behind).

And my symptoms were exactly the same - a different one each day it seemed.

And we are the same age and condition as you, yet we both had the double vaccine months prior to infection.

Again, this more anecdotal evidence that mass repeated vaccination of a cohort of people who aren't at high risk is unnecessary for the health of those people and not worth the strain on the health service such a programme causes (although I will add I'm getting my booster this month, mainly to not have issues with international travel rather than for any immunity reasons, as I see my delta infection in September as my booster!).

FOH

Tested positive on Dec 22nd by PCR. Still faint line on LFT today so no release tomorrow for me. Generic cold symptoms. Sore throat, runny nose and sneezing. Only difference was no cough to clear phlegm.
For me, the symptom period wasn't as bad as recovery. I've been really fatigued in recovery. Some days good other days not.

D365

Veteran Member
Again, this more anecdotal evidence that mass repeated vaccination of a cohort of people who aren't at high risk is unnecessary for the health of those people and not worth the strain on the health service such a programme causes (although I will add I'm getting my booster this month, mainly to not have issues with international travel rather than for any immunity reasons, as I see my delta infection in September as my booster!).
Emphasis on the anecdotal. I’ve known people in their mid 30s who are struggling with long covid 18+ months after their infection. Personally, I’m still feeling a bit tired, but this feeling will wane when I start doing more walking again.

For me, the symptom period wasn't as bad as recovery. I've been really fatigued in recovery. Some days good other days not.
Exactly what I’ve been experiencing.

kristiang85

Established Member
Emphasis on the anecdotal. I’ve known people in their mid 30s who are struggling with long covid 18+ months after their infection. Personally, I’m still feeling a bit tired, but this feeling will wane when I start doing more walking again.

Exactly what I’ve been experiencing.

Yes there are always exceptions, but the same can be said of a flu infection - post viral fatigue syndrome is relatively common.

Hope you are back to 100% soon!

southern442

Established Member
I tested positive this morning (2 LFTs), I didn't feel tip top yesterday but today I feel particularly rubbish. There's a lot of stuff I needed to get done this week, and I'd quite like to still try and do so, and so I'd like to try and stay on top form as much as I can. Has anyone else had it, and what would you recommend to help treat it, and also to stop myself going insane in isolation?

kristiang85

Established Member
Keep positive and don't feel sorry for yourself - mental positivity always helps in illness I think (I'm sure isolation slows recovery for people). I found the worst of the symptoms only lasted for 24 hours. I didn't use anything to treat it, it just passed of its own accord.

As you say, isolation is the worst bit - keep busy doing the things you still can. If you have your taste, treat yourself to some nice delivered food (Pasta Evangelists is a guilty pleasure of mine). Think of any series you wanted to watch but didn't have the time to and do that. Just keep your brain active, generally. Hopefully you'll get negative tests soon so the isolation won't be too long.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Relax, get plenty of sleep, drink plenty of water. All things that are a good idea when you've just been vaccinated too.

GS250

Hiya Southern442

I tested positive last Wednesday. Woke up with an absolute bump at 2am feeling shivery, achy and generally unwell. Couldn't get back to sleep until gone 7am although slept in until gone midday. I think with covid, you just have to respect the fact that even if x3 vaccinated, it has the potential to turn nasty. So just rest, drink plenty of liquids and pretty much adopt a 'health is wealth' attitude. I'm 48 and pretty fit all things considered. However, 2-3 days in I did have a sore chest and slight breathing issues. Nothing serious but it did concern me enough to phone 111. The fact they said if it gets worse then phone for an ambulance was a little unnerving. It subsided within a day and its now more or less following the course of a regular virus. I feel slightly weak and 'dizzy', but am well on the mend fingers crossed.

Still testing positive after day 8 so no early release either!!!

Hope you are doing okay.

Some advice & suggestions here...

Although I see that that site a) advocates the use of ivermectin, which has no solid evidence of effectiveness (see https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-58170809, for example), and b) doesn't seem keen on vaccination, so it would seem wise not to rely on what it says (I haven't checked the rest of it).

GS250

Plenty of fresh fruit, fresh veg, Vitamin D supplements.

Yep. Making a habit of consuming these items can increase your natural immunity to a number of viral related illnesses. Especially good practice if you live and work in a heavily populated area where transmission of various bugs is likely to be higher than average.

I'd say (touching wood this is well on the way out) C19 for me was definitely more than just a cold but short of actual Influenza or something like Glandular Fever. Those absolutely wasted me for 2 weeks......

richardsun

Although I see that that site a) advocates the use of ivermectin, which has no solid evidence of effectiveness (see https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-58170809, for example), and b) doesn't seem keen on vaccination, so it would seem wise not to rely on what it says (I haven't checked the rest of it).
Are you able to provide any alternative suggestions to the original poster? Because nobody else seems to have much constructive advice beyond take a paracetamol and call 999 if you can't breathe.

Bantamzen

Established Member
Are you able to provide any alternative suggestions to the original poster? Because nobody else seems to have much constructive advice beyond take a paracetamol and call 999 if you can't breathe.
I'm not sure what you are expecting here, because people suggesting keeping well hydrated, eating fresh veg & fruit, taking Vit D supplements (although zinc is also useful), and getting plenty of rest is pretty solid advice. And if the symptoms become more problematic, call 111 or 999 only if it becomes very serious. Beyond that in terms of physical wellbeing there isn't a whole lot else needed to be said for most of the population. Obviously if someone is aware that they are in a vulnerable group, they should seek medical advice sooner, if only to ensure that should they need urgent medical care this can be quickly administered as a positive covid test would be recorded on their records.

Gloster

Established Member
The only thing I will add is that during my first bout last March I also had the runs quite badly for about a day or so early on, so take this into account. During my second bout a couple of months ago I probably had them, but nothing like as bad.

Bayum

Established Member
Get cold/flu type bits and pieces if you can for coughs, blocked noses, any analgesia you’re able to take. I’ve had four vaccines and luckily I’m only suffering with some tachycardia and general cold symptoms. Last week was terrible: absolute physical and mental exhaustion, breathless/short of breath. Just had an infusion of Sotrovimab to prevent further escalation as I’m in one of the high risk groups.

southern442

Established Member
Thank you for all the responses, they have been quite helpful. Most of the heaviest symptoms have gone, (it's now day 5) but the fatigue and brain fog still remains, which is quite concerning to me as I'm fairly young and have always been fairly mentally agile, and now I can't seem to focus on doing any work for very long periods of time at all before just wanting to go and have a lie down. It's still relatively early days I suppose, but it hasn't shown any sign of improving. Here's to hoping though.

GS250

Thank you for all the responses, they have been quite helpful. Most of the heaviest symptoms have gone, (it's now day 5) but the fatigue and brain fog still remains, which is quite concerning to me as I'm fairly young and have always been fairly mentally agile, and now I can't seem to focus on doing any work for very long periods of time at all before just wanting to go and have a lie down. It's still relatively early days I suppose, but it hasn't shown any sign of improving. Here's to hoping though.
Glad you are starting to recovery. Viruses can do all sorts to you. The 'brain fog' should subside over the next few days with any luck. Try to be patient, rest up and don't stress if you aren't at full capability.

There is no magic bullet to drive out a virus. Certain things can help relieve the symptoms, but usually it will just go of its own accord.

greyman42

Established Member
It is not unusual for you still to be fatigued after only 5 days. It took about 7 days for my heaviest symptoms to go but then another 7 before i felt i had my usual energy back.

Ivor

Originally Balham & now The West Sussex Coastway
After a night of shivering & feeling awful with non stop cough (I’ve had a cough since end December) I tested positive mid January & took 11 days to get my first negative.

Since a kid I get a chest infection every winter without fail so maybe symptoms were made worse because of that & my breathing is still bad even having to stop walking down the street to get lungs full, couple of flights of stairs at a station for example I’m done in.

Four weeks on I still feel very lethargic, I did drink a lot, not alcohol before anyone asks :lol: lot of water, tea, coffee, juice which helped as always dry, appetite was ok.

The breathing is worrying me & I can’t shake the cough so assuming I can ever speak to a doctor again I’ll have to take medical advice. I am fully jabbed.

I will say I am an ‘oldie’ so don’t know if that made things worse but if this was the mild one those who got the real deal I have great sympathy for.

greyman42

Established Member
After a night of shivering & feeling awful with non stop cough (I’ve had a cough since end December) I tested positive mid January & took 11 days to get my first negative.

Since a kid I get a chest infection every winter without fail so maybe symptoms were made worse because of that & my breathing is still bad even having to stop walking down the street to get lungs full, couple of flights of stairs at a station for example I’m done in.

Four weeks on I still feel very lethargic, I did drink a lot, not alcohol before anyone asks :lol: lot of water, tea, coffee, juice which helped as always dry, appetite was ok.

The breathing is worrying me & I can’t shake the cough so assuming I can ever speak to a doctor again I’ll have to take medical advice. I am fully jabbed.

I will say I am an ‘oldie’ so don’t know if that made things worse but if this was the mild one those who got the real deal I have great sympathy for.
I think one of the main difference with Omicron and the "full fat" variants is that they were real appetite killers which really sapped your energy levels.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Most people get it much milder than you; many people at work have said they were ready to come back in but couldn't due to isolation rules.

A colleague at work was hospitalised with a Rhinovirus infection, which was initially suspected to be Covid; when they actually got Covid it was much milder.

Everyone is different and you can't accurately predict how a person will react from any viral infection.

Fortunately for me I very rarely become properly ill despite being regularly exposed to pathogens due to working in close proximity to many people, including people clearly having viral infections. My tips are to be fit & active, eat healthily, be positive, avoid stress/worrying.

takno

Established Member
For me the brain fog took a month to completely clear, although in the later weeks it was more like having not slept properly for a week than anything dramatic. The way friends with babies describe feeling after 6 months of not sleeping through the night sounds rather worse.

My breathing was also not perfect for a while afterwards, although that's difficult to accurately measure because it's often a tad worse for a bit after a cold, and the flat I was isolating in doesn't seem great for allergies.

The rest of my family suffered less and recovered more quickly, but they were all forced to stop work, while I carried on remotely throughout.

Hope you're feeling better soon, but it sounds like you're well on the road to recovery

southern442

Established Member
One other thing I wanted to ask is with regards to LFT testing. I've been testing since day 5 for an early release but they've all been positive so far. I first tested positive on Monday and first had the sore throat on Sunday, so I think that makes Wednesday day 10, when I can leave. Does anyone know what the protocol is if I'm still testing positive after that? I've been told that apparently LFTs can stay positive for quite a while after you're no longer infectious. I'm meant to be visiting a friend on Friday so I'm hoping by that point I'd still be safe to go even if the LFTs never turned negative?

Lewlew

One other thing I wanted to ask is with regards to LFT testing. I've been testing since day 5 for an early release but they've all been positive so far. I first tested positive on Monday and first had the sore throat on Sunday, so I think that makes Wednesday day 10, when I can leave. Does anyone know what the protocol is if I'm still testing positive after that? I've been told that apparently LFTs can stay positive for quite a while after you're no longer infectious. I'm meant to be visiting a friend on Friday so I'm hoping by that point I'd still be safe to go even if the LFTs never turned negative?
It took me until day 9 to test negative on an LFT.

It's the PCR test that can apparently show a false positive after having the V. Although I've not had that happen.

Jimini

Established Member
I tested positive for the full mind-numbingly boring ten days. Not one single symptom -- just that pesky second line each and every morning. If it weren't for the other half clearly having it (and suffering with some of the symptoms posted upthread, the tickly cough in particular), I wouldn't have tested and wouldn't have even known I'd got it.

nw1

Established Member

Unless the law has changed, and unless you still have a fever after day 10, you can end the isolation automatically, no need to do any more tests.

Unless that friend is particularly vulnerable or doesn't want to risk seeing you, and unless the law has changed, I'd recommend stopping testing after day 10 and just going back to living normally.

L401CJF

Established Member
I had it in November, felt rough for one night , shivers, sweats etc. Lost my taste and smell after a day or 2 and didnt come back for a few weeks- which was by far the worst bit of it!

After the initial first night of shivers and sweats I just had a cough for about 3 days then felt good to go, with a week of isolation still left. Felt a hit more tired than usual but I suppose you expect that when you're ill. I'm not vaccinated against it as I have a great immune system which I'm confident in as i never get ill more than once a year (touch wood) which is usually just a standard cold.

Overall I've felt much worse with other illnesses. Interestingly my wife didn't get it either despite trying to catch it off me to get it over and done with!

Status
Not open for further replies.