• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Peterborough - Preston £98?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fred26

I'm looking for a standard open ticket (Anytime Return) from PBO-PRE. Virgin say I can have one for £98, with an Any Permitted route. Does that mean that I can travel via London and Euston?

Please note, I am not seeking advice on ticket types, or prices. I just need to know what this definition of Any Permitted means.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
I've found the itinerary now. It says I should go to Doncaster, then Manchester, then onto Preston. Is that my best bet?

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

bnm

Established Member
There are 23 (!!!) different map combinations in the Routeing Guide for permitted routes between Peterborough and Preston but none of them include LONDON, so you cannot go that way with your 'Any Permitted' ticket. You would need separate fares to London from PBO and from London to PRE.

As to what your itinerary says, that's one (of many!) options.....

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I've found the itinerary now. It says I should go to Doncaster, then Manchester, then onto Preston. Is that my best bet?
Probably.

But someone with lots of luggage may find the route via York to be good, as they are likely to have a cross-platform interchange (likely to be platform 5/9 to platform 6/7 at York, although platforms 10 & 11 and, rarely even 3, are possible on the EC train, so this cannot be guaranteed), the train from York to Preston is likely to be less busy and you'd have plenty of choice of seats from York. (I am assuming this is a Permitted Route - you'd have to check the RG. However I am sure 99% of guards would consider it reasonable anyway.)

Status
Not open for further replies.