• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Peterborough-Spalding-Lincoln

Status
Not open for further replies.

SouthStand

Seems to be a fair bit of activity around the level crossings in Spalding today. Any news on how the work to upgrade the line is progressing? Or any future Sunday trains on the line?

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Old Timer

Established Member
There will be diversions of certain ECML off the GN via the Joint on Sat 9th and 16th October 1200 to 2359.

Some EC, HT and GC trains will run as booked with electric services being diesel-hauled Doncaster to Newark.

Route learning through cab rides on existing passenger services is ongoing.

a good off

I think someone should airlift a diverted HST set to French Drove and stick it in the mud on the formation of where the up and down goods loops were... Just for old times sake... ;)

Welshman

Established Member
There will be diversions of certain ECML off the GN via the Joint on Sat 9th and 16th October 1200 to 2359.

Some EC, HT and GC trains will run as booked with electric services being diesel-hauled Doncaster to Newark.

Interesting - especially as the EC website contains no reference to these diversions as yet.
Even then, this suggests they will be using the normal route to/from Newark via Grantham, and not the Lincoln - Sleaford - Spalding "Joint" route as such.

Kneedown

Established Member
Was working this route for the first time in a few months this week. Seems like the overbridge at Spalding is having a much needed makeover. A few worksite areas on the Spalding-Gosberton stretch as well.

OT? Any news on whether the 10mph at Tinsleys X'ing is going to be removed anytime soon?

The Planner

Veteran Member
There is a lot of work going on to remove freight differentials, not an awful lot for passenger though.

Dreadnought

Interesting - especially as the EC website contains no reference to these diversions as yet.
Even then, this suggests they will be using the normal route to/from Newark via Grantham, and not the Lincoln - Sleaford - Spalding "Joint" route as such.

If you look on the National Rail website Future Engineering Works section it shows that the ECML is closed between Peterborough and Newark on both these Saturdays from 12 noon until 11am on the Sunday.

Looking at times and calling points for EC services during these dates shows that they are non-stop Peterborough - Doncaster except Leeds services which call at Newark and Retford with services being timed between 2 and 2 1/4 hours for this journey compared to the normal approx 55 minutes.

Old Timer

Established Member
Original post modified to include information just received.

There are NO diversions on the Sundays as the boxes are only manned during the hours I mentioned earlier.

The Joint Line will be open for 12 hours, resulting in early morning East Midlands Trains services between Lincoln & Sleaford/Peterborough being cancelled.

East Coast, Hull Trains & Grand Central services will be via running via Sleaford and Lincoln.

Some other services are re-timed to accommodate the diversions.

Generally all services are will be running via Gainsborough but, some Leeds services will be routed to run via Newark Northgate from Lincoln. These services are being diesel hauled from Peterborough to Newark.

As I understand it at the moment, Hull trains will be running via the GN as booked but there is a suggestion these could be booked off the joint to Grantham and then back onto the Joint. Further information is awaited on this.

Services between Peterborough and Grantham/Newark/Doncaster will be replaced by buses. There are several variations on the pattern, with some services running Peterborough-Grantham with a change to a different bus for Grantham-Newark Northgate

Early morning East Midlands Trains services between Lincoln & Sleaford/Peterborough being cancelled. Some other services are re-timed to accommodate the diversions. 2T48 1352 Grimsby Town-Newark Northgate is diverted to Newark Castle, with the return 2K45 1536 Newark Northgate-Peterborough starting from Newark Castle in consequence. This is due to a lack of platform capacity at Newark Northgate.

There are no services between Peterborough and Grantham on 9 October – East Midlands Trains services are diverted via Melton Mowbray and East Coast have a roughly hourly replacement bus between Peterborough and Doncaster calling at Grantham.

The Grantham-Nottingham route will be operating an hourly Skegness service on 9 October.

Further information will follow as and when received.

Last edited:

trainfanatic

Old Timer....during the November 8/9 Blockade of the ECML due to relaying at Peasecliffe tunnel, the then National Express/GC and a few freight trains ran thro Saturday and Sunday via the joint line thro Spalding/Sleaford & Lincoln. This must have necessitated manning of all SB's on this route. It didn't apply for the Hull train service as this went thro the Allington chord to Sleaford and reversed to enable it to get to Lincoln.

While we are on the subject, any idea if the down (Northbound) avoiding line at Sleaford is to be returned to service? At the moment, only the up line is serviceable with diverted trains having to run straight through Sleaford.

My best regards from another 'old timer' (pushing 69!)
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Just noticed an error in last post...should have said November 8/9 2008

Old Timer

Established Member
Very sorry but I dont have an answer to that question just yet.

I will enquire.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
.....While we are on the subject, any idea if the down (Northbound) avoiding line at Sleaford is to be returned to service? At the moment, only the up line is serviceable with diverted trains having to run straight through Sleaford.
I am advised that the line is planned to be opened. Currently the scrub is being/has been removed.

I am warned however that there is a question mark over whether the line WILL be opened in time. I don't have the reasoning behind this as yet.

ultrabox

OT? Any news on whether the 10mph at Tinsleys X'ing is going to be removed anytime soon?

Well I live not too far from this crossing. Over the years, Ive seen too many near misses at this UWC.

Recently Ive seen two EMT 153'S screech to an halt at this crossing and a crew member of a 156 get off the train, to close the gates.

My personal opinion is that NR should install automatic barriers at Tinsleys UWC for the safety of everyone. The other external factor in relation to this crossing is the close proximity of a playing field.

On a separate note, Im looking forward to seeing the diversions in October.:D

deltic1989

Established Member
Im looking forward to the diversions too will make a nice change to see something other than the usual DMUs at Lincoln. i may just install myself by the old east holmes signal box on the river there with my camera and fishing rod, killing 2 birds with 1 stone.

Kneedown

Established Member
Well I live not too far from this crossing. Over the years, Ive seen too many near misses at this UWC.

My personal opinion is that NR should install automatic barriers at Tinsleys UWC for the safety of everyone. The other external factor in relation to this crossing is the close proximity of a playing field.

I think it would be far better, and more cost effective, for the BTP increase surveillance at Tinsleys and prosecute all infringements ruthlessly.
It's a tactic that worked very well indeed in the case of Warren House LC on the Robin Hood line. After being convicted two or three times the user finally decided it was getting too expensive not to comply, and there's never been a problem since.
As regards the playing field, i can honestly say i've never seen any children getting unhealthily close to the railway there, and i work over the line a fair bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.