• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Petery's 4 Day Devon Jaunt

Status
Not open for further replies.

PeterY

Established Member
At this time of your I don't have a great deal of work, so I took myself on a rail related holiday to Exmouth, Devon. My main aim was to complete the Newquay branch.

Day 1 Tuesday 13th November. I got myself a Super Off Peak any permitted return to Exmouth from Hemel Hempstead £64.35 (Senior railcard). On arrival at Paddington I was pleased to see the 10.33 to Paignton was a HST despite the train manager making an apology "We're using one of our older trains and there no seat reservations". In the afternoon I caught the train to Exton (request stop) and had a delightful walk back to Exmouth. Total rail mileage 209.
IMG_1521.JPG

Day 2. Newquay. Luckily I didn't follow the NRE advice because I'd of never made it to Newquay. The 10.11 to Penzance was running 48 minutes late. I managed a 1 minute connection at Exeter St Davids and caught the 4+2 HST to Par. Although I only had 5 minutes at Newquay, had it been lighter nights I'd of stayed for 2 hours. I nearly fell over when I paid for the ticket £13.00:lol::lol: return for 237 miles of travel. I can't get to Euston for that. :E:E
IMG_1551.JPG
Day 3 was to complete as many miles as possible in daylight with a Devon Day Ranger £8.20. I don't normally do unit numbers but I thought I'd give it a go.
142 619 to Exmouth to Exeter.
221 124 Exeter to Newton Abbot. (running 24 minutes late)
220 007 Newton Abbot to Tiverton
43171 + 43015 Tiverton to Plymouth.(running 10 minutes late)
43171 + 43015 Plymouth to Newton Abbot
150 219 Newton Abbot to Paignton
221 130 14.04 Paignton to Exeter. Something rare as rocking horse poo, with Cross Country, I had a whole carriage to myself.
IMG_1561.JPG

150 244 Exeter to Lympstone Village and had a walk back to Exmouth.
In the evening I met with some friends at Polsloe Bridge, 150 244 out and 150 219 back.
237 miles. Devon Day Rangers are a real bargain. IMG_1552.JPG

Day 4. Back home and I decided to come back via Salisbury and Waterloo. Luckily I'm in no rush, it seems to take forever. 206 miles

Just a couple of thoughts.
In an ideal world, there really needs to be a passing loop between Pinhoe and Honiton. 12 minute delay waiting for a down train at Pinhoe.

Voyages still have that smell :'(:'(

It was a nice break and I tried to make use of all the daylight hours. I don't really enjoy travelling in the dark

Status
Not open for further replies.