• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Petrol and diesel prices - how much have you been paying?

jon0844

Veteran Member
I am sure the investigation will come to the conclusion that the supermarkets decided, collectively, not to engage in a price war. As the media was talking about high prices, people would likely blame other people for the price hikes. Same reason some supermarkets are accused of profiteering on some products in store - because people have come to accept genuine price rises, so why not slip in a bit more?

I did wonder if the news might trigger some into sudden price cuts, but that might then be too obvious.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Sm5

In Chadderley Corbett (A303 to Kidderminster)… 145 for diesel.
I nearly cried, Ive not seen it that cheap since covid.

Back in South London… 169 again, BP.

M40 Cherwell Valley services.. 180 for diesel.

gswindale

Can't remember the petrol, but it was 149.7p for diesel at Morrisons in Reading yesterday. First time I've seen it under 150p for a while now.

maniacmartin

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Between 144.9p/l and 149.9p/l is the current rate for standard unleaded around Croydon at the moment, depending on where you go.

SteveP29

Shell garage at Crewe Toll roundabout in Edinburgh (the garage I have posted prices from previously) had petrol at £1.47.9 and diesel at £1.51.9 last night, the cheapest its been there for around 2 years.

More importantly, there is only 4p difference between petrol and diesel (another Esso in the area was 5p difference) I don't think I've seen the prices so close to parity for around 20 years

Lewlew

141 144 petrol
146 149 diesel
In Croxley/Watford

Edit: I lied originally, i knew it was a 5p difference

Last edited:

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
I’ve been around the Country today, no doubt that diesel prices have fallen significantly. I saw the petrol - diesel gap as low as 3p, but mostly around 8p.

In St Albans, that means petrol at 140.9 and diesel at 148.9.

Lowest petrol I saw today was 134.9, however there must be somewhere under 130p now.

SteveP29

Shell garage at Crewe Toll roundabout in Edinburgh (the garage I have posted prices from previously) had petrol at £1.47.9 and diesel at £1.51.9 last night, the cheapest its been there for around 2 years.

More importantly, there is only 4p difference between petrol and diesel (another Esso in the area was 5p difference) I don't think I've seen the prices so close to parity for around 20 years
This morning it's 1.46.9 and 1.49.9

Edited to remove typo

ABB125

Established Member
Petrol 147.9
Diesel 148.9
Esso in Evesham today.
I can't recall the last time prices were so close together.
Meanwhile, a few miles south, BP on the A46 was 148.9 and 159.9!

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
Just paid 136.9 for Diesel in Hemel. Petrol was a penny dearer.

My theory is that the significant reduction in wholesale diesel prices is down to the collapse of natural gas prices - they are now at roughly a quarter of the average price of the last two years.

ABB125

Established Member
Just paid 136.9 for Diesel in Hemel. Petrol was a penny dearer.

My theory is that the significant reduction in wholesale diesel prices is down to the collapse of natural gas prices - they are now at roughly a quarter of the average price of the last two years.
Why would gas prices impact on diesel to such an extent? It's not as if they're competing fuels ("should I fill up with gas or diesel today? Let's go for gas, it's a bit cheaper"), though obviously they're both hydrocarbons etc.
Am I missing something obvious?

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
Why would gas prices impact on diesel to such an extent? It's not as if they're competing fuels ("should I fill up with gas or diesel today? Let's go for gas, it's a bit cheaper"), though obviously they're both hydrocarbons etc.
Am I missing something obvious?

They are very much competing fuels, especially for heating (Industrial uses).

DannyMich2018

Tesco and Asda have been charging about 6p per litre for unleaded more than Morrisons have been charging at Hinckley. Even other retailers are cheaper than these. Disgraceful especially since both Asda and Tesco ones are unmanned so no staff costs to pay.

py_megapixel

Established Member
Tesco and Asda have been charging about 6p per litre for unleaded more than Morrisons have been charging at Hinckley. Even other retailers are cheaper than these. Disgraceful especially since both Asda and Tesco ones are unmanned so no staff costs to pay.
Not sure "disgraceful" is an appropriate description here - fuel retailers are not a public service and they have absolutely no obligation to set their prices in a particular way.
Nobody's forcing anyone to pay it, especially considering you've already mentioned a cheaper option nearby.

DannyMich2018

Not sure "disgraceful" is an appropriate description here - fuel retailers are not a public service and they have absolutely no obligation to set their prices in a particular way.
Nobody's forcing anyone to pay it, especially considering you've already mentioned a cheaper option nearby.
Yes fair, play however I think it's poor some supermarkets charging more than other places particularly since many such as Asda have only unmanned stations. Only a few year's ago Tesco and Asda used to be often cheapest almost always cutting price of fuel before others now it's usually other way round.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Yes fair, play however I think it's poor some supermarkets charging more than other places particularly since many such as Asda have only unmanned stations. Only a few year's ago Tesco and Asda used to be often cheapest almost always cutting price of fuel before others now it's usually other way round.
Under Walmart's ownership low fuel prices were meant to draw shoppers into Asda, but the current owners thought they had better ideas. Now they're trying to cut some workers' hourly wage rates to help their overpaying for the stores,

Under Walmart's ownership low fuel prices were meant to draw shoppers into Asda, but the current owners thought they had better ideas. Now they're trying to cut some workers' hourly wage rates to help compensate for their overpaying for the stores,

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
The recent news that Asda are to buy the EG (=Euro Garages) Group (petrol retailers), in an apparently heavily debt-financed deal, doesn't seem to me to be one that will result in the merged entity's forecourt prices coming down anytime soon.

Interestingly, the ultimate owners of both Asda and EG Group are the 'billionaire' Issa brothers (Mohsin and Zuber) from Blackburn with private equity support, and some have queried whether the merger will actually act in the public interest, or that of Asda and EG workers.

Russel

The recent news that Asda are to buy the EG (=Euro Garages) Group (petrol retailers), in an apparently heavily debt-financed deal, doesn't seem to me to be one that will result in the merged entity's forecourt prices coming down anytime soon.

Interestingly, the ultimate owners of both Asda and EG Group are the 'billionaire' Issa brothers (Mohsin and Zuber) from Blackburn with private equity support, and some have queried whether the merger will actually act in the public interest, or that of Asda and EG workers.

I don't quite understand this, both EG and Asda are owned by the same people, so how can Asda buy EG, surly it's more of a merger? I'm guessing it's some kind of debt management exercise or tax workaround?

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
I don't quite understand this, both EG and Asda are owned by the same people, so how can Asda buy EG, surly it's more of a merger? I'm guessing it's some kind of debt management exercise or tax workaround?
It's above my pay grade, but yes, essentially seems to be a merger and also an exercise in leveraged finance and debt restructuring.

david1212

Established Member

Near to work Asda and Morrisons are usually either the same or only 1p/litre different. For a while Tesco near home have been slightly dearer but recently 5p/litre dearer. For all the nearest BP typically 3p/litre more. All have at least some pay-at-pump but none are totally unmanned.

I saw a Tesco notice that they are changing Clubcard points from one per £2 to one per 2 litres.

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
I saw a Tesco notice that they are changing Clubcard points from one per £2 to one per 2 litres.
Believe Tesco are also reigning back on their offer when you spend Clubcard points. Previously, you could get a one year Railcard (worth £30) for £10 of accumulated points/vouchers. From 14th June 2023 you'll need £15.

Sm5

149 for diesel was the cheapest I saw south of Exeter last week.
Generally southbound prices to Cornwall were 152-154.

some what cynically I noted last night going northbound prices were 156-159p As the bank holiday week comes to an end.

Back in South London.. 162p… its come down 7p, but still paying a London premium.

Lewlew

149.9 for both just off the M1 at J9
147.9 for both further up road heading towards Dunstable

Tesco at Chorley have switched their illuminated fuel price display off for about a month now, so you can't tell how much it is unless you drive up to the pump.