• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Petrol and diesel prices - how much have you been paying?

Jamesrob637

Established Member
Petrol and diesel prices are just creeping back up. Hopefully only extremely slowly though.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

gswindale

That is 63.1p/litre
I was looking at car hire for Canada the other day. The car I was looking at was a Toyota RAV4 which over here has a quoted economy figure of 53mpg. On the Hertz website, it was listed as about 25mpg!

So whilst the fuel might be cheaper stateside, your going to need a lot more of it to travel the same distance.

JamesT

Established Member
I was looking at car hire for Canada the other day. The car I was looking at was a Toyota RAV4 which over here has a quoted economy figure of 53mpg. On the Hertz website, it was listed as about 25mpg!

So whilst the fuel might be cheaper stateside, your going to need a lot more of it to travel the same distance.
1. UK gallons are about 20% larger than US gallons.
2. The different countries have different testing regimes that emphasise different things. ie are those numbers for urban, extra-urban, combined?

If it really is the same car, it's going to get pretty similar real-world fuel consumption regardless of location.

bspahh

Established Member
1. UK gallons are about 20% larger than US gallons.
2. The different countries have different testing regimes that emphasise different things. ie are those numbers for urban, extra-urban, combined?

If it really is the same car, it's going to get pretty similar real-world fuel consumption regardless of location.
Also in a car market where new cars pay more tax if they have high fuel consumption, its worthwhile for the manufacturer to fit expensive tyres, with low rolling resistance, particularly if it gets into a lower tax bands (and also engineer the engine management to work well in the test conditions).

In a market where the retail price is everything, then its an incentive to fit cheap parts, even if it means that the quoted fuel consumption is worse.

Jamesrob637

Established Member
Krept and Konan up again here - a little concerning. Barely any diesel under 150p per litre now, even at supermarkets.

david1212

Established Member
Morrison's near work now up to 143.7p/litre for E10 unleaded and 150.7p/litre for Diesel. Esso only 1p more for E10 unleaded but 3p more for diesel.

richw

Veteran Member
Diesel £144.9 here yesterday.
Where’s here? It appears very expensive as you’ve put a £ instead of pence. I assume that’s an error on your part

Here in Plymouth I don’t think diesel has dropped under 150 for months.
I paid 151.9 this morning which is cheapest about Plymouth that I’ve seen

david1212

Established Member
Tesco near home marginally cheaper than Morrisons near work for E10 unleaded @ 142.9p/litre but dearer for diesel @ 151.9p/litre.
E5 premium unleaded is 149.9p/litre.

Too much traffic to glance at the local BP.

Jamesrob637

Established Member
Where’s here? It appears very expensive as you’ve put a £ instead of pence. I assume that’s an error on your part

Here in Plymouth I don’t think diesel has dropped under 150 for months.
I paid 151.9 this morning which is cheapest about Plymouth that I’ve seen

Fuel in Plymouth is always dearer than the cheaper sites where I live in Stockport (mum's in Plymstock). House prices are cheap for Southern England standards though.

richw

Veteran Member
Fuel in Plymouth is always dearer than the cheaper sites where I live in Stockport (mum's in Plymstock). House prices are cheap for Southern England standards though.
I live in Liskeard, work in Plymouth. Plymouth is 5p a litre cheaper than Liskeard

SteveHFC

Tesco & Sainsbury's in Dunstable were 140.9p per litre yesterday. Tesco in Watford was 142.9p (all for unleaded).

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Tesco in Watford was 142.9p (all for unleaded).
Same or similar in South / East Manchester. Unleaded at 142.7p per litre at Asda sites and 142.9p per litre at Sainsbury's. Diesel currently about 7.0p per litre more expensive. Bigger differential at BP filling stations.

Spamcan81

Best I've found locally for diesel in the past couple of days is 151.9 a litre at Texaco/ASDA express on the A1 at Sandy roundabout