• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

photographing trains

Status
Not open for further replies.

alecras234

On Moderation
Hi im Ash and i live in north west wales. Where is best to go to in my area to trainspot please or where would i have to travel to?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

fishquinn

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
You could try Llandudno Jcn or of you wanted to travel a bit Chester is ok. If you don't mind traveling for a while I would suggest Manchester (or if you are interested in freight, Warrington).

alecras234

On Moderation
Looks very interesting but i don't know what im looking for? Which trains do i need to look for?

James Wake

Do you want to see DMUs, class 67s, freight trains, Virgin Pendolinos, Voyagers, HSTs, then it depends where you would want to go. All trains are listed on Real Time Trains and if you click on their headcode (eg 1T03) then it shows you the full journey timings.

455driver

Veteran Member
Jeez I wish I was so polite, does the OP not know how to use the words 'please' and 'thank you'?

alecras234

On Moderation
im new to spotting trains, i've never done it before. Where do i start to know whats what, what is a 67, whats a DMU? I like steam engines.

DaleCooper

Established Member
Hi im Ash and i live in north west wales. Where is best to go to in my area to trainspot please or where would i have to travel to?

Jeez I wish I was so polite, does the OP not know how to use the words 'please' and 'thank you'?

The OP certainly knows "please" as shown in first post but I doubt if they will "thank" you.

In my opinion politeness is shown more by behaviour than by words.

Last edited:

NSEFAN

Established Member
alecras234 said:
im new to spotting trains, i've never done it before. Where do i start to know whats what, what is a 67, whats a DMU? I like steam engines.
Wikipedia is your friend:
Diesel multiple unit
Class 67

If you want to know of steam-hauled railtours in advance, you can check out uksteam.info which will tell you of future railtours that will involve steam traction. If you just want to go and look at trains in general I would suggest a day trip to Crewe, where there will be lots of passenger trains of various types and a fair amount of freight trains too. The next two steam tours there will be on the 30th June and 18th July, according to uksteam.

A note: if you are going to photograph trains please don't use flash as it distracts the drivers, and please make sure you stay behind the yellow lines on the platform. :)

Last edited:

steam train to Llandudno this Saturday June 20th,however for operating reasons the steam loco will be at rear of train between chester and Llandudno but the return the loco will be at head of train.Times rhyl 11.12 Llandudno jnc 11.33-11.36 Llandudno 11.52.return Llandudno dep 16.56.llan jnc 17.05-17.08. colwyn bay 17.15.rhyl 17.28.chester 18.04-18.07,also the heritage railway at Llangollen should be of interest steam and diesel events.

Last edited:

alecras234

On Moderation
im confused about what DMU's are and how to recognize them, Also what are 67's, why are they called 67s?

NSEFAN

Established Member
A diesel multiple unit won't have a locomotive at the front of it, it instead has engines underneath the carriages. You can tell a locomotive by the fact it has no passenger accommodation and instead has a lot of engine in its place. Most trains in the UK are formed of multiple units, either diesel powered or electric. There are some exceptions, such as electric express trains on the East Coast mainline (class 91) and Great Eastern mainline (class 90).

67 refers to the class of locomotive. British trains are divided into classes. The numbers allocated for classes are a bit random, but do follow a few general guidelines as set out on that wiki page.

alecras234

On Moderation
so a DMU has one engine at front or back and an engine in every carriage? Do you have a picture of a DMU train? i live in west wales. is an engine where the driver sits?

NSEFAN

Established Member
The class 175 is a common DMU in Wales. Other examples are the class 142 and class 158. Most DMUs have an engine underneath each carriage nowadays. Sometimes people say engine when they mean locomotive, but the engine is the part which turns the fuel into mechanical movement. There is a locomotive-hauled train that operates between Holyhead and Cardiff, using a class 67, but there aren't many trains like that now, most of them in Wales are DMUs. They are much more common than locomotive-hauled trains because the power is spread out much more evenly, rather than all focussed at one point when you have a locomotive. This makes the train more resilient to slipping and also means you can still move if one engine breaks down.

Both locomotives and multiple units have a cab where the driver sits and controls the train. DMUs and EMUs will have a cab at each end of the whole train, so when the train comes to the end of the line the driver just moves from one end to the other and can drive it back the other way.

Status
Not open for further replies.