• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Photography on a moving train?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bAzTNM

Hi there!

We all know long train rides can be a bit of a pain, right? Sometimes, to relieve the boredom, I like to get the camera out and start video-ing the scenery as the train pasts various places. Is this kind of thing legal? Will a ticket inspector tell me to stop?

Thanks

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Anon Mouse

Established Member
Hi there!

We all know long train rides can be a bit of a pain, right? Sometimes, to relieve the boredom, I like to get the camera out and start video-ing the scenery as the train pasts various places. Is this kind of thing legal? Will a ticket inspector tell me to stop?

Thanks

I wont tell anyone to stop unless they were filiming me, causing an obstruction or a danger to themselves or others. Video away! :)

ralphchadkirk

Established Member
Hi there!

Thanks

I can't see a problem with it legally. The enthusiasts guidelines only cover stations. If it's commercial, then you would need permission, and they might want permission if you're using a tripod or lights etc, but otherwise, you should be fine.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
I wont tell anyone to stop unless they were filiming me, causing an obstruction or a danger to themselves or others. Video away! :)

Well, someone can film who they like if the camera is in a public place and you're not telescoping through someone's bathroom window or similar.

TheJRB

Established Member
I don't exactly know how it stands legally, but I imagine it would be similar to taking photos or videos at a station. Either way, I've done it a number of times on Southeastern and Southern trains with ticket inspectors nearby and I've never been told to stop.

bAzTNM

I always make sure nobody is around before I do it. I generally do it when the carriage is completely empty.

Video is recorded onto a mobile phone.

moonrakerz

The normal Law concerning photography applies.

If you are on public property you can photograph who or whatever you want (Official Secrets Act excluded!).

If you are on private property you should (strictly speaking) apply for permission first (In fact, for railways it just mentions getting permission for commercial use). However, many "private" places allow photography by omission - people would be a bit ****** off if they couldn't use their camera at the Zoo, Theme Park, etc, etc .................?

As there are guidelines for photographers on the railways there should be no problem taking photographs on a train - even though the guidelines don't seem to think that an enthusiast would actually travel on a train !!

HST Power

Established Member
You should be OK, so long as you're not doing it for commercial purposes. Try to film/photograph in quiet carriages and be careful where you point the camera. There are plenty of people out there who won't take to kindly to being filmed, and thats understandable. You just need to be careful and I'd recommend just taking the camera, not a tripod.

Anon Mouse

Established Member
You should be OK, so long as you're not doing it for commercial purposes. Try to film/photograph in quiet carriages and be careful where you point the camera. There are plenty of people out there who won't take to kindly to being filmed, and thats understandable. You just need to be careful and I'd recommend just taking the camera, not a tripod.

and don't point your camera up any ladies skirts or you will have bother!

rail-britain

Established Member
London Midland don't like it, for either personal or commercial use, on their rail services
I even have a threatening email from them, advising that staff will request BTP to attend and seize any equipment

Personally, if you are taking photos and/or videos from your seat out of the window then there is no issue
The issues begin when you are taking images of the interior and/or other passengers
Hence why the images on my website are checked to make sure interior images meet this requirement

HST Power

Established Member
and don't point your camera up any ladies skirts or you will have bother!

I'll try my best! :lol:

Truthfully, I'd never do that, and even if I tried to, I'd have to be lying on the train floor with all the chewing gum and drinkers puke!

bAzTNM

So if you shoot the interior of a train, they'll phone BTP on you? What would be the charge?

richa2002

Established Member
What a sign of the times that someone feels as though they may not even be allowed to photography some scenery. Talk about paranoid! You'll be perfectly fine.

bAzTNM

I'm not paranoid about the scenery, it's how the ticket inspectors and the other passengers might react.

HST Power

Established Member
I'm not paranoid about the scenery, it's how the ticket inspectors and the other passengers might react.

Ticket inspectors are like Gods. Best to just avoid them!

As far as the passengers go, try to keep them out of the frames.

chrismid259

I can understand why you'd ask about this but considering you're photographing scenary on the outside of the train, there really shouldn't be a problem at all.

starrymarkb

Established Member
I had no problem doing this, explained to the guy next to me what I was doing and he had no problem

[youtube]VI_KhC3IWh0[/youtube]

This you have to be sneakier about - best wait till the hostess is in her jump seat...
[youtube]rVYL3KEk-P8[/youtube]

moonrakerz

London Midland don't like it, for either personal or commercial use, on their rail services
I even have a threatening email from them, advising that staff will request BTP to attend and seize any equipment

This sounds like someone "making it up as they go along" ! If they threaten to call BTP tell them to go ahead and get someone who knows what they are talking about .............

Jonny

Established Member
The normal Law concerning photography applies.

If you are on public property you can photograph who or whatever you want (Official Secrets Act excluded!).

<shortened>!

The main one that I can think of is Sellafield, the nuclear site, on the Cumbrian Coast line. There are probably a few others as well.

Yew

Established Member
The main one that I can think of is Sellafield, the nuclear site, on the Cumbrian Coast line. There are probably a few others as well.

Secret in the way that BT tower in london was till the 1990's?

Bevan Price

Established Member
Your biggest problem is that, unless you are very careful, your photos will include reflections off the coach windows that spoil your photographs - anything bright, metallic, even plastic bags, can give image-spoiling reflections.

Bevan

LE Greys

Established Member
Your biggest problem is that, unless you are very careful, your photos will include reflections off the coach windows that spoil your photographs - anything bright, metallic, even plastic bags, can give image-spoiling reflections.

Bevan

Press the lens right up against the glass to cut down on that. A polariser is better, but cuts down on light.

However, don't do what I did once to get a moving shot of Duke of Gloucester, lean out of an HST at 125 when passing another train at 75 (closing speed 50 mph) then face backwards to get a good view of the loco. Twice on successive passes.

HST Power

Established Member
However, don't do what I did once to get a moving shot of Duke of Gloucester, lean out of an HST at 125 when passing another train at 75 (closing speed 50 mph) then face backwards to get a good view of the loco. Twice on successive passes.

You realise that because you said you've tried it, everyone else is going to want to have a go as well! :lol:

anthony263

Established Member
Had a go doing this on wednesday when i was passing through eastleigh on a swt class 158 and spotted 70001 on a freightliner train. very good photo, although i can be bad if the sun is out or the glass on the window is dirty

Status
Not open for further replies.