• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Photting on the T&W Metro

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crossover

Established Member
Hopefully someone will see this here ;)

I am going up to Newcastle next month, part of the reason being to go on the T&W Metro which is a system I have never seen before, let alone used.

I like to take the odd photos, sometimes on mobile, sometimes on a compact digital camera.

My main aim is travelling so won't be spending any time spotting at stations, but I have seen about Nexus taking a hard line on any photography on the system.

Has anyone used the network and taken the odd photo here and there without issue or am I best emailing the relevant department to advise of my intention of possibly taking photos on my travels so I have the necessary documentation in case of issues? I'd rather not have to wear a pass or anything as I'd prefer to be a little more discreet ;)

Any photos would be for own use (and possibly the forum/POTW)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

1E05

Hello, you should be fine to take pictures in the metro system, but without flash on. In the underground stations (Newcastle and Sunderland city centres) I would take caution though and explain that your an enthusiast if stopped. Or where there is a staff member, talk to them first and follow their instructions as official 'approval' may be needed. Having said that I've took a number of photos on the system without and interruption. Good luck and happy travelling in the Metro. Look out for the prototype cars (401 and 402) and the refurbished ones.

Aictos

Established Member
Hopefully someone will see this here ;)

I am going up to Newcastle next month, part of the reason being to go on the T&W Metro which is a system I have never seen before, let alone used.

I like to take the odd photos, sometimes on mobile, sometimes on a compact digital camera.

My main aim is travelling so won't be spending any time spotting at stations, but I have seen about Nexus taking a hard line on any photography on the system.

Has anyone used the network and taken the odd photo here and there without issue or am I best emailing the relevant department to advise of my intention of possibly taking photos on my travels so I have the necessary documentation in case of issues? I'd rather not have to wear a pass or anything as I'd prefer to be a little more discreet ;)

Any photos would be for own use (and possibly the forum/POTW)

I'm not being funny and telling you to ignore the other poster BUT I strongly recommend reading the Tyne and Metro guidelines on this to save yourself any embarrassment:

http://www.nexus.org.uk/metro/guide-metro/Filming-and-Photography

Permission to film or take photographs on Metro must be obtained in writing from the Metro Communications Department

Wherever possible we will try to accommodate any filming and photo requests.

To request photography permission contact the Customer Relations team on 0191 203 3199 or email [email protected]

Two weeks notice is required so we can arrange for a Metro representative to be present.

Filming times are normally limited to off peak periods, Monday-Friday 9.30am-4.30pm. Evenings and weekends will depend on staff availability.

Flash photography is NOT permitted on Metro platforms when trains are approaching, for safety reasons.

Note I've highlighted in bold the points that apply to your query, in hindsight this would better to pay attention to then to come across a "jobsworth" and ending up having a terrible time on the system.

alexdodds

Their policy is a load of old crap and also be careful cos theres a number of people on the metro who are very camera shy and theres plenty of kids to cause problems and so one might have a go at you if you focus too much on a subject. I hate the metro now a days cos its always a depressing system which is jobsworth run.

jon0844

Veteran Member
It seems like the rules above are for commercial filming and photography, and are totally OTT for anything else.

These rules are always silly. Staff can pick and choose who to 'enforce' their rules with - so I bet a group of girls taking a photo for Facebook won't get any hassle, or a tourist. Yet if you don't fit the right profile (or that you do), they'll harass you.

Crossover

Established Member
Thanks for the comments. I agree with the last few that it is a complete waste of time, but I thought I would be an upstanding citizen and do as they suggest, so emailed them last night basically stating I was merely an enthusiast wanting to take a few odd photos on my travels, and to get assurance it would be OK.

Very much wish I hadn't done
Hello xxxxxxxx,

Thank you for your email.

As Metro is private property the taking of photographs is not permitted unless prior authorisation is given, this permission can be granted once a request to take photographs is received and an indemnity form is completed. Unfortunately we can not guarantee that your request will be authorised. The ruling is set in place not only to protect the travelling public but also the drivers as being distracted by a passenger taking a photograph could affect his vision when coming into a station.

There is more information on the website at http://www.nexus.org.uk/metro/guide-metro/Filming-and-Photography

I have attached a Form which you should sign and return for the attention of Jenni Duncan at the address shown on the form if you wish to apply

Please do not hesitate to contact me if you have any questions.

Kind Regards

Now I don't just agree with the above comments...but completely agree...what a load of rubbish!

I have also attached a copy of the application form I have been sent

I have a feeling having read the email for the third time, that it is a stock reply. I am probably going to reply saying the application form doesn't really apply to what I am doing - the most I can probably fill in is to say what I want to do belongs to "Other"!

Looks like I may be leaving the camera behind (or at least only using it whilst away from the Metro) at this rate, which is a shame

Maybe this is me being cynical, but how much must it cost for this madness just to get permission for an odd photo?!

Attachments

• 2013 Application Form_Request for Filming & Photography.docx
    103.3 KB · Views: 24

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
What complete and utter hogwash.

Using that form, I'd be interested to know how a casual photographer such as yourself would respond to the name of project, location manager, film production company, number of vehicles, number of cast, number of crew, identity of each piece of equipment and crew member, and exact locations and times boxes!

Also, the sole reason they appear to give is that it distracts drivers; so what if you only want to take photos of trains departing or when there are no trains around, such as station photting? What about if you stand on public land such as an overbridge or field or housing estate next to the line, how is that any different to doing it on a platform? Are they for real?!

From the way the form reads it does sound like they've just sent the generic form they'd send to a uni student or similar, and by the sound of it you'll need constant non-stop accompaniment by a member of T&WM staff...

Good luck anyway!

Crossover

Established Member
What complete and utter hogwash.

Using that form, I'd be interested to know how a casual photographer such as yourself would respond to the name of project, location manager, film production company, number of vehicles, number of cast, number of crew, identity of each piece of equipment and crew member, and exact locations and times boxes!

Also, the sole reason they appear to give is that it distracts drivers; so what if you only want to take photos of trains departing or when there are no trains around, such as station photting? What about if you stand on public land such as an overbridge or field or housing estate next to the line, how is that any different to doing it on a platform? Are they for real?!

From the way the form reads it does sound like they've just sent the generic form they'd send to a uni student or similar, and by the sound of it you'll need constant non-stop accompaniment by a member of T&WM staff...

Good luck anyway!

Thanks - echoed my thoughts exactly!

I just need to think of some reasoned reply to send them in reply to rubbish they have sent me! I wouldn't mind but I even stated this in my email to them:

I am emailing to ensure I will be fine in taking photographs whilst out and about?

All photography is for no commercial gain and won't involve use of any tripods or other such equipment - just a compact digital camera and/or possibly mobile phone.

I take occasion photos on the National Rail network, so I am aware of the rules regarding flash photography and such.

I look forward to hearing from you in due course and if you have any queries, please don't hesitate to contact me.

ryan125hst

Established Member
I have seen quite a few videos of the Tyne and Wear Metro on You Tube. One such example is Alex Dodds, who is a member of this forum. He has filmed the Metro from both on stations and onboard the trains. I've never met him, but I do enjoy watching his videos! :) Maybe you should PM him and ask what he did to get permission?

Edit: Just noticed as I was about to post this that he has posted on this thread! :lol: Did you get permission Alex or did you just turn up?

Chester025

Just go there and take photos and see what happens! In a safe and sensible manner of course.

alexdodds

I have seen quite a few videos of the Tyne and Wear Metro on You Tube. One such example is Alex Dodds, who is a member of this forum. He has filmed the Metro from both on stations and onboard the trains. I've never met him, but I do enjoy watching his videos! :) Maybe you should PM him and ask what he did to get permission?

Edit: Just noticed as I was about to post this that he has posted on this thread! :lol: Did you get permission Alex or did you just turn up?

Thanks m8. Nar I just turned up and videoed straight away. However I no longer use my camcorder because there was always a good chance I could get bother off some of the passengers which can be just as bad as the staff. I use my ipod touch now because of the very small lens and almost invisible.

On the whole Nexus/DB Regio are a complete load of rubbish full of jobsworths. They say their ruling is to protect the traveling public well thats a joke in itself.

Last edited:

ryan125hst

Established Member
Thanks m8.
No problem! Keep the videos coming! :)

Nar I just turned up and videoed straight away. However I no longer use my camcorder because there was always a good chance I could get bother off some of the passengers which can be just as bad as the staff. I use my ipod touch now because of the very small lens and almost invisible.

On the whole Nexus/DB Regio are a complete load of rubbish full of jobsworths. They say their ruling is to protect the traveling public well thats a joke in itself.

It's silly for them not to let you video. Unless you are too close to the platform edge or are behaving dangerously, they have no reason to worry in my opinion. Network rail welcome it, and at the end of the day, you may see or record something which may be able to be used as evidence if something happens (a thieft for example).

I hope that the problems that you encounter from time to time won't put you off recording trains.

alexdodds

No problem! Keep the videos coming! :)

It's silly for them not to let you video. Unless you are too close to the platform edge or are behaving dangerously, they have no reason to worry in my opinion. Network rail welcome it, and at the end of the day, you may see or record something which may be able to be used as evidence if something happens (a thieft for example).

I hope that the problems that you encounter from time to time won't put you off recording trains.

Rarely I have problems. Not had a problem since March 2011. Really Nexus/DB Regio have a massive misunderstanding about general photography/video and enforce a lot of pointless red tape. Anyway have you sent anymore e-mails and had any replies from Nexus/DB Regio.

Crossover

Established Member
I did send another email, basically on the lines of that none of the attached applied to me as a casual photographer and had there been some misunderstanding of my intentions.

The reply I got back basically said that filling in said form was standard procedure and that I'd need to fill in the applicable bits and don't worry about the other stuff (public liability and all that malarky)

So I am just waiting.

To be honest, it may be that I am out of time as I only sent it in about a week before my visit (as I am going this coming week), but it may be OK. Failing that, I may be after some advice of some public areas to take pics from (road bridges, other lineside locations) as I can't see there being any problem with that given it is public land :)

Anon Mouse

Established Member
Admittedly I don't take too many photo's on the Metro system but I've took them every now and then and I have never had any bother. Mind you I don't normally linger that long exceptions being the odd 10-15mins at Gateshead Stadium, 30mins at Fellgate last year, couple of hours at Heworth (admittedly phots taken from Rail station) and an hour or so at Chillingham Road a couple of years ago

RPM

Established Member
I'm assuming most of this anti-photography nonsense comes from Nexus because elsewhere, DB Arriva UK TOCs seem to be pretty relaxed about photography.

In this day and age when almost everyone carries a phone that doubles as a camera I find these sort of photography restrictions quite bizzare. It just makes the company in question look out of touch, paranoid and ridiculous. :roll:

I'm probably going to annoy a lot of other drivers now, but I even find the flash photography rule rather over the top. I've had people take flash shots of me whilst driving and have never found it distracting or blinding in any way at all. You have to put up with much brighter flashes when running alongside third or fourth rail electric trains!

Crossover

Established Member
Admittedly I don't take too many photo's on the Metro system but I've took them every now and then and I have never had any bother. Mind you I don't normally linger that long exceptions being the odd 10-15mins at Gateshead Stadium, 30mins at Fellgate last year, couple of hours at Heworth (admittedly phots taken from Rail station) and an hour or so at Chillingham Road a couple of years ago

Thanks Anon Mouse :)

I don't intend lingering anywhere longer than I need to, either. This is what makes things even more crazy, as I'm not going to be in one place for all that long, just generally all over the network
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Spoke with one of the Nexus people this morning who said they were OK with me taking photos and for any issues to get in touch with them.

Since that, I have had a further email as they've just realised I may mean taking photos on stations, not just on the trains themselves, and for that I need to sign in with each station...

Very much in agreement with RPM on this one...will still to NR (and other light rail systems) in future I think :P

alexdodds

Since that, I have had a further email as they've just realised I may mean taking photos on stations, not just on the trains themselves, and for that I need to sign in with each station...

Whey they say that do they mean use the help point to inform the control room at each station maybe u should try that and see what happens.

JohnCarlson

I have photographed on the metro quite a lot over the years and never have had any problems.

There are loads of footbridges /road over bridges you could use such as the one at Jarrow if you are unsure. Additionally Most of tynemouth station beyond the immediate barriers is not NEXUS property anyway.

I took this one from ST Marys car park in Sunderland.

http://www.angusrobertson.com.au/book/tramways-of-the-north-east/13773063/

Established Member
A bit of background on the subject. There is a general ban on photography and there has been for years, and is covered by the Metro bye-laws. One quick picture isn't going to attract much attention but there are several local 'enthusiasts' (and I use that term as loosely as possible) who have gone far beyond what would be deemed acceptable, which has on occasion caused problems with staff, and at times the general running of the network. In one case someone has been banned from the system for doing so, which he seems to take pride in the fact. Ironically, he and some others express a wish to work on the railways.

My advice would be to always seek permission beforehand, or take a quick picture and move on. There are plenty of places where good pictures can be taken off the system.

cdonnigan

A bit of background on the subject. There is a general ban on photography and there has been for years, and is covered by the Metro bye-laws. One quick picture isn't going to attract much attention but there are several local 'enthusiasts' (and I use that term as loosely as possible) who have gone far beyond what would be deemed acceptable, which has on occasion caused problems with staff, and at times the general running of the network. In one case someone has been banned from the system for doing so, which he seems to take pride in the fact. Ironically, he and some others express a wish to work on the railways.

My advice would be to always seek permission beforehand, or take a quick picture and move on. There are plenty of places where good pictures can be taken off the system.

hmmmm wonder who you could be talking about here.

alexdodds

Then again the staff are also to blame because all they do is just encourage enthusiasts to fight back and keep taking photos/videos. The idea of a camera is if you see it, take it. If a camera is not been used then its a sitting duck. I don't think coachalex1996 who I presume your on about hasn't been banned because he hasn't said anything on facebook about been banned.

cdonnigan

Wonder if its the same group on my Metro the other day making one hell of a racket and bothering the Metro Inspectors?

It probably was ave had a few exchanges with Alex on his youtube channel but never met him in person. but some of his videos clearly showing him answering back to drivers when challenged, He claim to have insdiers working at metro and claims on a few of his comments he worked for them, The kid lives in a fantasy world

Crossover

Established Member
Sorry, should have replied saying that my trip was just over a week ago now. Didn't take that many pics anyway and had no issues (didn't take any from the platforms)

Thanks for the advice given in this thread

If anyone is interested, a trip report from the day is here :)

alexdodds

Incase you didn't know crossover you would of been allowed to photo/video at Sunderland station because that station is owned by network rail and managed by northern rail and so Nexus/DB Regio doesn't have any control over photo/video rules there. You would of had to ask at the supervisors office on the platform for permission though.

Crossover

Established Member
Incase you didn't know crossover you would of been allowed to photo/video at Sunderland station because that station is owned by network rail and managed by northern rail and so Nexus/DB Regio doesn't have any control over photo/video rules there. You would of had to ask at the supervisors office on the platform for permission though.

I had heard things about that before. To be completely honest though, given how dark it is in the station, it doesn't make ideal photography conditions, hence why I didn't try it there :)

william

Established Member
It isn't ideal for photography, although an experienced photographer could get some interesting shots I'm sure. Ironically, Sunderland station is the only place I've ever been told not to photograph and that was by a Northern guard.

alexdodds

A few staff including one or two supervisors are strict but they are fine as long as you ask first. To be honest it is my least favorite station and I try not to photo/video there now a days unless a grand central or freight is due in.

Established Member
alexdodds said:
I don't think coachalex1996 who I presume your on about hasn't been banned because he hasn't said anything on facebook about been banned.

If it is not on his Facebook page, then it is on YouTube or similar. Pretty obvious that all of his recent videos/pictures have been taken from outside Metro property.

Another fact that he posted was that he recently received a Penalty Fare when going to North Shields (to take pictures of a Metro going down to Doncaster) :roll:

Status
Not open for further replies.