• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Planning all line rover

Status
Not open for further replies.

EveningStar

Promised myself an all line rover once I turn 60 … senior citizen card and first class. Anyway, that is next year. Undecided whether to fill missing gaps in my Baker, which will be impossible in a week, revisit places as memory lane, which is certain to stack up disappointment (I mean, Penzance without Western's, how dare they?!!), or take a trip that somehow captures the spirit of Britains railways, for which I have no idea what that can really mean.

So, if somebody said to you, seven days travel, see the best of Britain's railways, what would you suggest?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Do you wish to (primarily) restrict yourself to routes that have trains with First Class accommodation running on them?

Obviously, a lot of the GB network is served only by Standard Class trains.

EveningStar

Think maximise first class, especially for the longer distance parts of the journey. However, nothing set in stone as looking for ideas. Quite frankly, got so bogged down in detail that looking for insight.

Ken H

On Moderation
Promised myself an all line rover once I turn 60 … senior citizen card and first class. Anyway, that is next year. Undecided whether to fill missing gaps in my Baker, which will be impossible in a week, revisit places as memory lane, which is certain to stack up disappointment (I mean, Penzance without Western's, how dare they?!!), or take a trip that somehow captures the spirit of Britains railways, for which I have no idea what that can really mean.

So, if somebody said to you, seven days travel, see the best of Britain's railways, what would you suggest?
what is your interest? Interesting places to see, interesting signalling, trains, pretty views out of the window, stuff thats changed since your last visit.
Or maybe being on the same train for a long time?
Would you bus it cut corners? Like Fort William - Inverness, perhaps?
This will help to get appropriate answers.

Caveat. Make sure you have a plan B. Things go wrong. connections are missed, trains are cancelled...

D6130

Established Member
Think maximise first class, especially for the longer distance parts of the journey.
If you can stand the length of time on one train, how about Aberdeen-Penzance (if running through again by then), followed by an overnight journey to London on the 'Night Riviera' sleeper? The only potential problem is that it's a twenty minute turnround in PNZ and you would need a plan 'B' in case the Cross-Country service is significantly delayed. If it's still terminating at Plymouth, you'll have a safer turnround there.

You could do the 17 16 Cardiff-Holyhead for all - or part of its journey and enjoy a freshly-cooked dinner while passing through the glorius scenery of the Welsh Marches. On the subject of on-train dining, there's also the Paddington-Plymouth Pullman Dining service....or breakfast in the other direction.

You could do the LNER London-Inverness service if you can stand the appalling Azuma seats - even in first class - for that length of time. Living in Northumberland you could pick it up at Newcastle to start your trip. The same would apply to a London-Aberdeen service to get you in position for the Penzance marathon the following day.

I'm thinking of doing something similar myself next Summer....but possibly for two weeks. What are the principal routes still to be yellow-penned in your Baker atlas?

EveningStar

Some interesting thoughts.

Principal routes still to pen are Worting Jct to Exmouth Jct, Bristol East Jct to Bath (an obvious out and back presents for these two), Westbury to Redbridge, HS1, Liverpool Street to Cambridge, Stone to Colwich Jct and everything north of Inverness. Infill bits range from the frustrating, Halton Curve (was an undergraduate in Liverpool, otherwise have the northwest covered), irritating, Bedford fast line, or absurd, done Sleaford North to South Jcts three times on ECML diversions, never through the station. Thing about infills, there is the nagging doubt that there are better things to spend time and money on than, for example, Aldershot North to South Jcts, hence the best of Britain's railways idea.

Have considered Inverness to Kings Cross … certainly a grand journey. More keen on Azuma than a Voyager. Paddington to Plymouth dining appeals, which means come a long way from teenage trainspotter enjoying that BR apple pie available from buffets throughout the land!

Andy Pacer

Established Member
You could do the 17 16 Cardiff-Holyhead for all - or part of its journey and enjoy a freshly-cooked dinner while passing through the glorius scenery of the Welsh Marches. On the subject of on-train dining, there's also the Paddington-Plymouth Pullman Dining service....or breakfast in the other direction.
But keep your fingers crossed its a loco hauled service and not a DMU.
Also bear in mind you now have to pay for the meal (although still excellent value).

Ianigsy

The Highland Chieftain in FC is certainly worth a day of anybody’s time- I did Inverness-York a couple of years ago. Cooked breakfast at Aviemore, lunch on departure from Edinburgh and regular refills of tea and coffee. Made for a memorable last LNER HST experience.

Andy Pacer

Established Member
The Highland Chieftain in FC is certainly worth a day of anybody’s time- I did Inverness-York a couple of years ago. Cooked breakfast at Aviemore, lunch on departure from Edinburgh and regular refills of tea and coffee. Made for a memorable last LNER HST experience.
I've only ever done the Chieftain northbound (from York) and it was excellent. I also did the Northern Lights service to Aberdeen (from Darlington) and whilst being busy it was also very enjoyable.

xotGD

Established Member
Recapture your youth with seven overnights in a row in the seats.

Or if that sounds a bit much, you need to do the Caledonian Sleeper at least once.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
An excellent way to make use of a Senior Railcard! I considered a similar concept with a 7 day FC ALR for last year, using one to both score off a ton of trains but also to see some of the best of Britain. I never did do it, but it's on my list of things to look at one day.

Anyway, input into this plan of yours. There's little chance that one plan is going to tick enough boxes in terms of satisfaction. What I would aim at doing is a mix of all 3 of your main plans there, so revisit some places you haven't seen in a mighty long time, do some of the track coverage while at it and do some of the infill bits on deviations.

What I mean by that is let's say you're on the way from the South West to Scotland. You'll probably pass fairly close or through Crewe, from which it isn't all that far to Chester, from where you could easily do a train to Runcorn or Liverpool over the Halton Curve. It isn't that far from Liverpool to Preston to get back on track to your primary destination, but it fills in a gap at the cost of however long the diversion via Chester would take.

Similar for that bit at Sleaford, which is actually a bit more awkward to do as a quick diversion off the mainline. Not impossible, of course, but taking a couple of hours out of a plan with a change at Grantham onto some EMR trains wouldn't be the end of the world.

Indeed, I noted you want the track from Worting Junction to Exmouth Junction, and are considering a nostalgic trip to Penzance. Depending on where you are, a ride on a 159 from Waterloo to Exeter St Davids would soon sort out the track need, and I recall First Class on 159s isn't too bad. A quick change onto a GWR IET down to Penzance, and might I suggest considering taking a bit of time out to also visit Land's End while down there? I've not been myself yet, firmly on the list to do, but would certainly qualify for a 'best of Britain' plan. Such an adventure would be quite a long day, so worth considering either the Night Riviera back to London or an overnight stay in Penzance, to allow more time to explore and so on.

There are so many beautiful parts of the UK to see, it's impossible to nail down more than a handful of suggestions. It does of course depend on your interests, especially if we try to restrict it to 'best of British railways'. For the purposes of this post, I'm going to make recommendations that include the best of the journeys themselves as well as the destinations, as much as I can. Some of them don't make full use of the First Class rover, I'll grant you that, but if nothing else perhaps this list will inspire you to potentially come up with even better plans. In no order whatsoever, I present a handful of some of the best the UK railway can get to/enjoy as part of the journey:

1) Transpennine Class 68s, others would have to gen you up on current workings but last I checked they operate to Scarborough. A First Class ticket puts you in the coach next to the loco, a class which is immensely popular. Scarborough itself, in my opinion, is a nice place and worth exploring, certainly it's on my list to go back to.

2) Bournemouth seafront, the 444s from London to Weymouth via Southampton and Bournemouth are nice enough trains but for this one I'm more focused on the destination. I also like Weymouth, I have to confess, but if the seaside is your idea of a holiday then Bournemouth and its seafront is crying out for you. The journey to Bournemouth also has railway interest with the Freightliner yards around Southampton, as well as Eastleigh and its yards and works. The journey has other interest, as it goes through the New Forest.

3) I know it has no First Class, but I really like the journey from Shrewsbury to Borth and Aberystwyth through the Cambrian Mountains. On a sunny day, it's really nice, and the journey north of Dovey Junction is also highly worth doing. I haven't done much of the journey north of the junction for a very long time, it is firmly on my to-do list and ideally so before the 158s get replaced (I have time, the 197s are still some way off yet), but the bit I did do a few years ago was beautiful.

4) Sticking with the Wales theme, and absolutely no First Class on this line either, if you want to experience one of Britain's more remote lines but also through nice scenery with the quirks of token operation on the lengthy single-track line, then I invite you to journey along the Heart of Wales line between Llanelli and Craven Arms. It does take a few hours, but it's one of Britain's scenic railways and worth doing if you haven't been before. I haven't been on it for quite some time myself, I could do with returning to the line and doing some more exploring myself actually.

5) Continuing with a 'best of Britain's railways' theme, there's nothing quite like enjoying the beauty of the scenery through the likes of Tebay, sitting in a comfortable seat and enjoying a tea/coffee, staring out of the window at the scenery. A Pendolino First Class seat is nice and comfortable, indeed even Standard Class seats are good in my view.

6) The other person who posted before I finished this reminded me that experiencing the Caledonian Sleeper with its Mark 5 coaches is a must. Class 92 haulage on the electric bit and Class 73 haulage is available beyond. The Fort William sleeper also has a Class 66 on the front. I found the beds to be pretty decent, and the bedding they use is truly wonderful. I haven't been on it since October 2020, it's just how it is for my journeys, so I don't know what it's like now but it is worth experiencing. I seriously want one of those pillows and quilts of my own, they're that good! :wub:

7) It wouldn't be right if I didn't recommend having a journey through the Cotswolds, there is some beautiful scenery to be seen and from the comfort of an IET First Class seat, with complimentary refreshments, oh yes. I know the seats aren't as nice as those that were in First Class on the HSTs, those were truly amazing, but they do the job well in my opinion. Multiple options for a plan, I do like the route from Swindon to Cheltenham (ignore Gloucester, it doesn't exist :lol: ) through the Golden Valley I must say. I do also like the route from Worcester to Oxford, and I am biased I know, with my location, but the Malvern Hills are not that far from Worcester and worth seeing. Great Malvern is undergoing a canopy restoration at the moment, when that's finished it'll look amazing. Malvern Link, just up the road, has been done up in a GWR-like fashion and has its little quirky charms to it. Depending on how fit and healthy you are, Malvern itself is worth exploring and the hills most definitely are. They are an adventure of their own though, but if you're passing through then they are a beautiful sight. Take a seat on the right hand side in the direction of travel and gaze upon the beauty!

8) You can hardly talk about the best of British railways without looking at the journey between Manchester and Leeds, some of the most beautiful scenery England has to offer. The Calder Valley has plenty of beauty all around the place to enjoy from the train, or indeed exploring by foot. No First Class on the Calder Valley (Manchester Victoria-Leeds via Hebden Bridge) but a beautiful journey and strongly recommended. I touched upon some of it last month when I popped up to Manchester, and I absolutely need to go back soon.

9) We definitely, 100%, cannot while on the subject of gorgeous journeys not mention the Kyle of Lochalsh line. Beautiful scenery all around, and the journey goes through some of the most remote and least used stations in the land. The journey on the 158 will be well worth your effort, and yes it is on my list to go and revisit too, I haven't been on it since 2006. The line to Thurso and Wick is also nice, no question of it, but the Kyle line is better, much better.

10) Sticking with Scotland, I have to confess I'm not too clued up with where they run now but ScotRail have HSTs on a number of services, so you get the opportunity to travel in comfort. Someone else would have to confirm their routes, but worth going out of your way for if in the area. Perhaps combine it with a journey over what is probably Britain's most well known railway bridge, the Forth Bridge.

11) Last but not least, give consideration to a journey via the Cumbrian Coast line. Again, no First Class but it is worth doing. Back when there were 37s on selected trains, it was much more fun I will grant you that, but if you want a best of British experience then I would recommend it. It's not quite as high up the scale as the Cambrian Coast, but it is still worth looking at doing.

Of course, many if not all of these suggestions may not line up with what you want to do on your rover. I merely offer you some ideas, primarily based on experience, and there are no doubt plenty of things I haven't mentioned. For example of one such delight, I offer things such as racing along the Great Western Main Line at 125mph, in the comfort of a First Class seat, sipping coffee and eating biscuits, while heading to places like Bristol and Cardiff at high speed. I also neglected to discuss dining services such as the Pullman, partly because of a lack of recent experience of what they offer these days. I'm sure however you have got a taste of the things I've looked at, after all what I count as the best of Britain may be nothing like what someone counts it as.

I hope this post gives you some food for thought, and of course I am happy to expand upon any of my thoughts if required. The most important thing to say now though is simply this:

Whatever you choose to do, have an absolutely amazing time!

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator

And a classic British Rail bath four days in (a full scrub up and hair wash swaying about in an HST toilet at 125mph)…

Techniquest

Veteran Member
And a classic British Rail bath four days in (a full scrub up and hair wash swaying about in an HST toilet at 125mph)…

I never got quite that bad, but I came close in 2011 on my ALR. Washing using the sink on the sleeper or anywhere else I could do so, I don't have fond memories of that. Just the idea of a full travel day without having had a good quality shower and breakfast, well that's enough to put me off going out! I definitely remember waking up glad to have had a proper place to sleep on the 6th night!

Andy Pacer

Established Member
The Fort William sleeper also has a Class 66 on the front. I found the beds to be pretty decent, and the bedding they use is truly wonderful. I haven't been on it since October 2020, it's just how it is for my journeys, so I don't know what it's like now but it is worth experiencing. I seriously want one of those pillows and quilts of my own, they're that good! :wub:
Inverness tends to also see a 66

The exile

Established Member
But keep your fingers crossed its a loco hauled service and not a DMU.
Also bear in mind you now have to pay for the meal (although still excellent value).
Presumably by next year, the likelihood of DMU substitution should be reduced somewhat. If I were in your position, as well as filling in specific things (and enjoying the long-distance first class stuff), I'd be researching over the next few months to look for areas where long-familiar railway "atmosphere" is likely to be on borrowed time. To me, the most obvious examples of that are remaining areas of mechanical signalling - but even if the traction and signalling has changed, there are some areas which evoke the "old days" more than others (thinking here of Mid Sussex line and Coastway - with detours to the semaphores at Bognor & Littlehampton - as well as the more rural bits of the SouthEastern network). As others have said, have plenty of "Plan B"s available!

EveningStar

Some excellent thoughts folks, accepted with profound thanks.

Or if that sounds a bit much, you need to do the Caledonian Sleeper at least once.
Too much ... had my day of sleeping in compartments that strangely fill with steam at random moments!

Classic nightmare. Even worse, trying to change in a mark 1 netty ... did somebody say contortionist?

Caveat. Make sure you have a plan B. Things go wrong. connections are missed, trains are cancelled...
So right about plan B. Helps to know where the network pinch points are, yet nothing taken for granted. For trip planning I tend to assume first train of the day might be flaky, and that delays accumulate throughout the day so build in more slippage in plan as day goes on. Seems to work.

Presumably by next year, the likelihood of DMU substitution should be reduced somewhat. If I were in your position, as well as filling in specific things (and enjoying the long-distance first class stuff), I'd be researching over the next few months to look for areas where long-familiar railway "atmosphere" is likely to be on borrowed time. To me, the most obvious examples of that are remaining areas of mechanical signalling - but even if the traction and signalling has changed, there are some areas which evoke the "old days" more than others (thinking here of Mid Sussex line and Coastway - with detours to the semaphores at Bognor & Littlehampton - as well as the more rural bits of the SouthEastern network). As others have said, have plenty of "Plan B"s available!
Funnily enough, did a lot of the mechanical signalling while doing field work for my PhD thesis on railway signal boxes.

An excellent way to make use of a Senior Railcard! I considered a similar concept with a 7 day FC ALR for last year, using one to both score off a ton of trains but also to see some of the best of Britain. I never did do it, but it's on my list of things to look at one day.

Anyway, input into this plan of yours. There's little chance that one plan is going to tick enough boxes in terms of satisfaction. What I would aim at doing is a mix of all 3 of your main plans there, so revisit some places you haven't seen in a mighty long time, do some of the track coverage while at it and do some of the infill bits on deviations.
So much network, so little time! Reality is that in seven days, even from the luxury of first class where available, it is impossible to do everything. Have gone for the hybrid approach suggested, infilling where there are irritating bits of line, some memory pleasers and seeing bits of the network underrepresented in my Baker. Plans are very south orientated ... seen much of the north.

So provisional plan, worked out using the current timetable so watch it all get changed:

Day 1 [Tuesday]
Objectives
Belle Isle Jct via east chord to St Pancras Thameslink
LSWR main line

Day 2 [Wednesday]
Objectives
Remaining Cornish and Devon Branches

Day 3 [Thursday]
Objectives
Bristol East Jct to Bath [yes, really!]
Westbury to Redbridge Jct
Lymington Branch
Eastleigh to Fareham via Botley
Isle of Wight

Day 4 [Friday]
Objectives
Bagshot line
East Kent, including all sides of the Minster triangle [South to West Jct only one train a day, so built in a large contingency to avoid missing that!]

Day 5 [Saturday]
Objectives
Bedford fast line
Nuneaton flyover
Stone to Colwich Jct
Bicester South Jct to Oxford

Day 6 [Sunday]
Objectives
Epson Downs Branch
Tattenham Corner Branch
Uckfield and East Grinstead Branches

Day 7 [Monday]
Objectives
St Pancras Thameslink to Belle Isle Jct via west chord
Newark Northgate to Lincoln
Sleaford through the station rather than the avoiding line

Is quirkish, yet fills a lot of gaps and gets a flavour of travel in southern England. Each day has a destination (hotel, not railway compartment!) and bits I can lose in case of disruption.

After that, when I actually retire might do a tour that, as pure hedonism, covers the routes of major express trains of yore ... Cornish Riviera, ACE, Brighton Belle, Flying Scotsman, Royal Scot.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
From that list, it looks like you'll have a productive and really enjoyable time. I hope you will come back to the forum and report back on how it went, I'm sure plenty of us here, including myself, will be more than interested!

EveningStar

From that list, it looks like you'll have a productive and really enjoyable time. I hope you will come back to the forum and report back on how it went, I'm sure plenty of us here, including myself, will be more than interested!
Thank you. Of course, there is every chance that the plans will change between now and when I do the trip next year, yet however it works I will be reporting back here. Going to be an exciting trip.

cambsy

On Moderation
I have had a 1st Class ALR. A few times, and have loved exploring the UK, this way, and looking at your provisional plans, I would think about going further North and Scotland, as there is lots of interesting things to see, and interesting track etc to do, and would be making good use of your ticket, and get more time to enjoy First class travel.

If your keen to stick to your plans, and not travel further North, or Scotland, then maybe use various rovers and day rangers,etc, to do routes, your looking to do, and maybe just have First Class ticket for longer journeys like, Cornwall, as a few of the routes your doing, wont have first Class or if they do, its not that good, which seems shame to spend a lot of money on something, your not really going to use to full potential.

Status
Not open for further replies.