• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Platform 14 London Euston?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peregrine 4903

Established Member
Does anyone know why the train stop sign on Platform 14 is so far away from the buffers, compared to all other platforms at London Euston meaning trains stop at least 10 metres from the buffers on Platform 14, compared to the other platforms.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Ianno87

Veteran Member
Does anyone know why the train stop sign on Platform 14 is so far away from the buffers, compared to all other platforms at London Euston meaning trains stop at least 10 metres from the buffers on Platform 14, compared to the other platforms.

Usually it's so the rear cab stops in the correct place for signal sighting on departure, or something like that.

Peregrine 4903

Established Member
Usually it's so the rear cab stops in the correct place for signal sighting on departure, or something like that.

Thankyou for the reply. That makes a lot of sense. It just seems wierd that only platform 14 at Euston has the stop sign like that but I guess the signal must be further out in the other direction.

Jona26

In this case rather than signalling or dispatch related issues is it not a case that it means loco hauled trains stop under an extract duct to prevent fire alarm activations from the exhaust? I'm sure I've read it on here before and that on the other platforms the vents are closer to the buffer stops.

4-SUB 4732

Established Member
The HST stop signs often were further back; as discussed this was due to the exhaust being in set places.

No idea which one 14 is on the grand scheme of things anymore; but it seems likely it has something to do with the above in case it’s a 221 that shows up.

Peregrine 4903

Established Member
Here is a terrible picture of platform 14 at Euston showing what I mean.

Attachments

• 20201105_075658.jpg
    20201105_075658.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 224
Status
Not open for further replies.