• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Pointless journeys in London

thomas379

A month ago, I did Catford to Catford Bridge, mostly to burn some time, but also because it was a bit pointless. I'm wondering if anyone has any other ideas for some other pointless/rediculous/stupid rail journeys I could do in London when I have some time to burn on my next visit, please?

The only one I could think of is Stratford International to Stratford Regional (without the DLR).

Thanks in advanced.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Fenchurch SP

I've often gone round one of the loops in South London and back again to use up some time or get out of the heat for a bit on a hot day.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
The tourist classic is Leicester Square to Covent Garden, or the similar (but slightly further) Mornington Crescent to Camden Town. Both are quicker to walk by a significant margin.

Another one might be Waterloo to Waterloo East (via lots of places with several changes). Or Victoria to London Bridge direct, via a tour of south London which has quite interesting scenery of the area for 55 minutes.

Joe Paxton

Established Member
But all these journey will involve travelling over points, hence they aren't pointless... ;)

scarby

What about the numerous trains from London Cannon Street to London Cannon Street that go out to Slade Green and Erith via Woolwich and then come back in via Welling and Lewisham? They take about one and a half hours.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
There's probably a fair few good ones between adjacent London terminals.

I think the Victoria-London Bridge one is the best because it's a direct train - from one to the other via most of south London, and lots of interesting stuff to look at along the way as it's mostly elevated.

I thought that service had been withdrawn a while back but it's still there, twice an hour. Grab a coffee and enjoy 55 minutes of urban interest.

GatwickDepress

Established Member
Battersea Park to Queenstown Road (Battersea) via Clapham Junction is eminently pointless, considering you can walk between the two in a couple of minutes.

urbophile

Established Member
I think the Victoria-London Bridge one is the best because it's a direct train - from one to the other via most of south London, and lots of interesting stuff to look at along the way as it's mostly elevated.

I thought that service had been withdrawn a while back but it's still there, twice an hour. Grab a coffee and enjoy 55 minutes of urban interest.
Is that the one via Crystal Palace? Don't miss the dinosaurs. The other Victoria - LB route was the South London Line via Denmark Hill, which is now part of the Overground and doesn't go to Victoria any more but Clapham Junction (indeed, I don't think it serves London Bridge either?).

Veteran Member
To use the classic South London Line route (at a sensible time) you have to do Victoria-Peckham Rye on the SE Dartford service and switch to Southern there, as the direct trains run via Crystal Palace with very little "elevation".

Joe Paxton

Established Member
Agree with the other posters above, @Bletchleyite has to be referring to the old South London Line route - on which through trains got the chop to make way for the London Overground East London line extension trains from Surrey Quays to Clapham Junction.

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Farringdon to Chancery Lane.

philjo

Established Member
Warren Street to Great Portland Street or Euston Square.

Sun Chariot

Established Member
2 miles and 50 years away from the Longmoor Milita
Jubilee Line Canary Wharf to Waterloo.
Waterloo & City Line Waterloo to Bank
DLR Bank to Canary Wharf (or, alight at West India Quay, for a 3 minute stroll to Canary Wharf station).

Jubilee Line London Bridge to Canning Town.
DLR Canning Town to Woolwich Arsenal.
South Eastern Woolwich Arsenal to London Bridge.

The entire Circle Line clockwise, then anti clockwise!

Last edited:

Roger1973

Woolwich to Woolwich Arsenal is one.

My first thought was wondering how you would have done North Woolwich to Woolwich Arsenal, but I'm thinking before DLR, let alone before Elizabeth Line.

What about the numerous trains from London Cannon Street to London Cannon Street that go out to Slade Green and Erith via Woolwich and then come back in via Welling and Lewisham? They take about one and a half hours.

Do these still run? I thought they had come off.

There was a thread on here - must be a year or two ago now and I couldn't find it on a quick search - someone was trying to organise a journey that took in all the London terminals. I'm not sure if they did it or not.

etr221

West Hampstead (Thameslink) to West Hampstead (Jubilee) via West Hampstead (North London Line) ?

Thornaby 37

Posters on this thread may be interested in Nick Badley's excellent YouTube channel, which has featured numerous 'pointless' journeys, including this one

Euston to Euston Square

Magdalia

Established Member
A month ago, I did Catford to Catford Bridge, mostly to burn some time, but also because it was a bit pointless. I'm wondering if anyone has any other ideas for some other pointless/rediculous/stupid rail journeys I could do in London when I have some time to burn on my next visit, please?
There are other nearly matching names. Penge East and Penge West has already been mentioned, but here are some more:

Bromley North-Bromley South
North Dulwich-West Dulwich
Hampton-Hampton Court
Enfield Lock-Enfield Town-Enfield Chase
Walthamstow Central-Walthamstow Queens Road
Harringay-Harringay Green Lanes
Harrow and Wealdstone-Harrow on the Hill

thomas379

I've often gone round one of the loops in South London and back again to use up some time or get out of the heat for a bit on a hot day.
Waterloo-Waterloo circulars via Kingston-upon-Thames
Thank you, all. Rounders are a great idea, particularly on stock with a table and plugs so emergency work can be done if needed!

To use the classic South London Line route (at a sensible time) you have to do Victoria-Peckham Rye on the SE Dartford service and switch to Southern there, as the direct trains run via Crystal Palace with very little "elevation".
Thank you for these ideas. Another Adjacent Terminals one could be Fenchurch Street to Liverpool Street via the Upminster - Romford shuttle.

The tourist classic is Leicester Square to Covent Garden, or the similar (but slightly further) Mornington Crescent to Camden Town. Both are quicker to walk by a significant margin.

Another one might be Waterloo to Waterloo East (via lots of places with several changes). Or Victoria to London Bridge direct, via a tour of south London which has quite interesting scenery of the area for 55 minutes.
Thank you, Waterloo - Waterloo East sounds a good one in particular, an enjoyable planning exercise, which is a particularly enjoyable part for me.

Hammersmith to the other Hammersmith by tube?
Great idea, very Catford - Catford Bridge-esque.

Penge West to Penge East. Plenty of journey opportunities there ... :D
I really like the sound of this one!

Battersea Park to Queenstown Road (Battersea) via Clapham Junction is eminently pointless, considering you can walk between the two in a couple of minutes.
Very good shout.

Farringdon to Chancery Lane.
I ended up walking this a while ago, I appreciate this one for more than one reason. My inner lazy self would defiantly do this over walking again!

Warren Street to Great Portland Street or Euston Square.
Thats a good idea. Even the shortest rail routes look an A - B via Z situation.

Brockley to Lewisham or Nunhead ?
New Beckenham to Beckenham Jcn ?

See how much you can do today of the Victorian Middle/Outer/Super Outer Circles? (see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Middle_Circle#/media/File:The_Circle_Routes_of_Victorian_London.png ) Or new alternatives?
The circles is a fantastic idea!

West Hampstead (Thameslink) to West Hampstead (Jubilee) via West Hampstead (North London Line) ?
That's a fun sounding one, thanks!
Jubilee Line Canary Wharf to Waterloo.
Waterloo & City Line Waterloo to Bank
DLR Bank to Canary Wharf (or, alight at West India Quay, for a 3 minute stroll to Canary Wharf station).

Jubilee Line London Bridge to Canning Town.
DLR Canning Town to Woolwich Arsenal.
South Eastern Woolwich Arsenal to London Bridge.

The entire Circle Line clockwise, then anti clockwise!
I like that idea, making ones own "circle line". I'm sure there are a few other combinations too! Defiantly one to try.

Posters on this thread may be interested in Nick Badley's excellent YouTube channel, which has featured numerous 'pointless' journeys, including this one

Euston to Euston Square
I hadn't come across this channel before, but will take a look.

There are other nearly matching names. Penge East and Penge West has already been mentioned, but here are some more:

Bromley North-Bromley South
North Dulwich-West Dulwich
Hampton-Hampton Court
Enfield Lock-Enfield Town-Enfield Chase
Walthamstow Central-Walthamstow Queens Road
Harringay-Harringay Green Lanes
Harrow and Wealdstone-Harrow on the Hill
Thank you, these are some great ideas.

But all these journey will involve travelling over points, hence they aren't pointless... ;)
Did you read the Dad Jokes book? ;)

miklcct

On Moderation
Leicester Square - Covent Garden

The journey is pointless since it is better to walk it, and it is even more pointless if you don't have an Oyster or contactless payment card and have to pay £6.70 to ride it.

md2016

Euston to Euston Square
Is the point to get the most bang for your buck from the pointless journey, or to make the most efficient pointless train journey? If the latter, Euston to Euston Square could obviously be done in about 10 mins via KX, but is still a good pointless journey.

md2016

Northwick Park to Kenton and Swiss Cottage to South Hampstead Overground were the first two to spring to mind.

Sun Chariot

Established Member
2 miles and 50 years away from the Longmoor Milita
Leicester Square - Covent Garden

The journey is pointless since it is better to walk it, and it is even more pointless if you don't have an Oyster or contactless payment card and have to pay £6.70 to ride it.
Agree. Charing Cross to Embankment is similar. Avoid the cost of travel - take a 2 minute walk down Villiers Street