• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Pointwork at Farringdon Sub-Surface query.

Status
Not open for further replies.

gimmea50anyday

Established Member
With the advent of Thameslink 2000 and the platform extensions at Farringdon blocking access to the Moorgate branch this route was subsequently closed. Obviously no mainline services have served the stations at Barbican and Moorgate since then and although the track remains in situ the OHLE and signalling has gone and the tunnel mouths have been cordoned off.

On a trip to London recently I was on the circle line heading towards Kings Cross and as the train approached Farringdon I noticed in the space once occupied by the trackbed there was a new set of pointwork under construction with one of the trailing routes clearly pointing towards the barbican/moorgate tunnels. I couldnt see any other location nearby where the pointwork could be used once constructed so is this indication that the branch is to be recomissioned as part of the SSL Met/H&C lines?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Domh245

Established Member
I think that the plan is to recommission those lines to provide more places to stable S7s

Dstock7080

Established Member
Will be used to stable 8 S7 or S8 trains, although S7 will only be timetabled to stable there.
An additional 2 emergency stabling berths will be provided nearer to the Farringdon end.

- 2 trains will stable in Moorgate former pfms.5&6;
- 2 trains just beyond those platforms so that driver can access from pfm.5&6
- a diamond crossing to the west of these. will allow trains to cross within the sidings
- 2 trains will stable within the tunnel, the west-end cabs can be accessed from Barbican former platforms 3&4
- a diamond crossing within the disused platform area at Barbican
- 2 trains will stable within the tunnel, the east-end cabs can be accessed from Barbican former platforms 3&4
- as above, emergency 2 sidings at Farringdon end.

Work to start in March 2018, for completion in December 2019, first timetabled stabling introduced with May 2020 timetable change.

edwin_m

Veteran Member
Will be used to stable 8 S7 or S8 trains, although S7 will only be timetabled to stable there.
An additional 2 emergency stabling berths will be provided nearer to the Farringdon end.

- a diamond crossing to the west of these. will allow trains to cross within the sidings
- 2 trains will stable within the tunnel, the west-end cabs can be accessed from Barbican former platforms 3&4
- a diamond crossing within the disused platform area at Barbican
- 2 trains will stable within the tunnel, the east-end cabs can be accessed from Barbican former platforms 3&4
- as above, emergency 2 sidings at Farringdon end.

Work to start in March 2018, for completion in December 2019, first timetabled stabling introduced with May 2020 timetable change.

Thanks for that. Carto Metro shows something different but may well be out of date.

Is there any access for trains to enter/leave at the Moorgate end?

swt_passenger

Veteran Member

Is that a change of plan since the last time this was discussed, and you provided drawings showing only one track extending into Moorgate?

http://www.railforums.co.uk/showpost.php?p=2579841&postcount=29

Took ages to find that again, I really never expected it to be in a thread about the drain... :D

Last edited:

Dstock7080

Established Member
Is that a change of plan since the last time this was discussed, and you provided drawings showing only one track extending into Moorgate?
Indeed it is, as those drawings dated from 2015 and my post was an answer to a direct question in 2016.

the new layout will be:
35325953325_852da93b8d_z.jpg

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Indeed it is, as those drawings dated from 2015 and my post was an answer to a direct question in 2016.

the new layout will be:
35325953325_852da93b8d_z.jpg

Thanks. It seems then that they must've found some spare cash down the back of the sofa, because it is looking far more expensive in terms of S&C.

Have they explained the justification for a much more comprehensive layout now being provided - you'll recall last year you and I discussed the possibility of defective trains locking others in, but you rightly pointed out that 3 in a row was used already, e.g. at Lillie Bridge.

bramling

Veteran Member
Thanks. It seems then that they must've found some spare cash down the back of the sofa, because it is looking far more expensive in terms of S&C.

Have they explained the justification for a much more comprehensive layout now being provided - you'll recall last year you and I discussed the possibility of defective trains locking others in, but you rightly pointed out that 3 in a row was used already, e.g. at Lillie Bridge.

I really don't see these sidings working that well, although reality is they're better than nothing which is the alternative.

Apart from the risk of trains being blocked in, there's also the issue that drivers will access different trains from different locations. This is a nuisance at places like Parsons Green, and will be a nuisance here. As I say, better than nothing, but by no means ideal.

Dstock7080

Established Member
I really don't see these sidings working that well, although reality is they're better than nothing which is the alternative.

Apart from the risk of trains being blocked in, there's also the issue that drivers will access different trains from different locations.
In the new layout only 1 train would be affected if it went defective, whereas other locations this could be 2/3.

Never had a problem with stabling locations if the information is posted in advance which it normally is.

Status
Not open for further replies.