• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Police on Vienna-Amsterdam Nightjet

tivoli

Travelled on sleeper from Vienna to Amsterdam. At Passau police boarded, knocking on doors at 11pm. Opened door they took one look at us then shut the door again. Is this a usual nightly occurrence?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

LowLevel

Established Member
Yes, I think so. Happened to me last year. Asked if we were English and then moved on.

rvdborgt

The Bavarian police have been doing this often on incoming long-distance trains for a number of years now.

Last edited:

Nunners

I've had this a few times heading into Germany at Basel on the NightJet as well

DanielB

Had this as well in 2022. Though checks where a bit random then: heard them knocking other doors in the sleeper car, but they didn't bother checking my cabin which I was sharing with a German and an Austrian passenger. Apparently they considered that low risk?

rvdborgt

Had this as well in 2022. Though checks where a bit random then: heard them knocking other doors in the sleeper car, but they didn't bother checking my cabin which I was sharing with a German and an Austrian passenger. Apparently they considered that low risk?
But they don't know what nationalities are in a cabin, so it's just random.

The exile

Established Member
Unless they’re acting on specific intelligence, the important thing for deterrence at low cost/ disruption is that people are aware that checks take place - not that everyone is checked.

StephenHunter

Established Member
The Bavarian police have been doing this often on incoming long-distance trains for a number of years now.
They came on board a regional train I'd got back from Salzburg in 2021. Completely ignored me, spoke to someone else and then left.

StephenHunter

Established Member
My observation is very much that border guards on this sort of duty are racially profiling and tend to leave white people alone, particularly middle aged ones.
Well, I look a good deal younger than I am and I'm not middle-aged, but I am pretty white, so yeah.

rvdborgt

White certainly is the main thing they seem to look at. They might be interested in younger people because of the relatively higher chance of them having soft drugs with them.
They're mainly looking for people without the required travel documents.

Leaguer

White certainly is the main thing they seem to look at. They might be interested in younger people because of the relatively higher chance of them having soft drugs with them.
They are looking for immigrants who are making their way through europe. Was on a slovenian train between italian border and postuma caves when a number of police came on the train rounded a load of people up and took them off the train