• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Poll: Which railway company is your favourite at the moment?

Which railway company is your favourite at the moment?

• Northern Trains

Votes: 27 5.6%
  • Tyne and Wear Metro

Votes: 4 0.8%
  • Merseyrail

Votes: 22 4.5%
  • Trans-Pennine Express

Votes: 41 8.5%
  • Hull Trains

Votes: 5 1.0%
  • East Midlands Railway

Votes: 6 1.2%
  • West Midlands Trains

Votes: 8 1.7%
  • London North Eastern Railway

Votes: 86 17.8%
  • West Coast

Votes: 9 1.9%
  • Cross Country

Votes: 14 2.9%
  • Greater Anglia

Votes: 35 7.2%
  • Chiltern Railways

Votes: 25 5.2%
  • London Overground

Votes: 11 2.3%
  • London Underground

Votes: 13 2.7%
  • Southeastern

Votes: 25 5.2%
  • Great Northern/ Southern/ Thameslink/ Gatwick Express

Votes: 22 4.5%
  • Manchester Metrolink

Votes: 6 1.2%
  • Heathrow Express

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Grand Central

Votes: 10 2.1%
  • C2C (Coast to City in Essex)

Votes: 7 1.4%
  • Great Western Railway

Votes: 59 12.2%
  • South Western Railway

Votes: 12 2.5%
  • Supertram

Votes: 3 0.6%
  • Transport for Wales Rail

Votes: 13 2.7%
  • Scotrail

Votes: 21 4.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
That's fair, it was reasonably full when I travelled but still quiet and the seats are really comfortable and relaxing.
The HSTs on EMT and other operators had good seats sure, but they were quite tired and slow.
Every time I try to book on EMR, their fares are significantly above WMR/LNER for the Intercity services and they don't run all that late into London, so I understand your frustration in a way.

If you like a service that isn't massively special, but is reliable, reasonably priced and somewhat frequent, then SE fits the bill.
I just really valued the whole experience on GC, probably it depends on which train you take and the timings.

The HST's on EMT also had a very relaxing ambiance. And while they could be quite slow North of Sheffield or Nottingham, they zipped along quite nicely on the Southern part of the MML.

You've hit the nail on the head. I don't find any of the current services special anymore, which is a bit of a shame in a way.

SE's service stands out just got being good in a workaday sort of way.

As someone who grew up with the service in the late 20th century Id love to see the express visa Tonbridge brought back, that with a proper 1st class would be special, but my vote is for reliable, easy to use South Eastern today.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

AlastairFraser

Established Member
The HST's on EMT also had a very relaxing ambiance. And while they could be quite slow North of Sheffield or Nottingham, they zipped along quite nicely on the Southern part of the MML.

You've hit the nail on the head. I don't find any of the current services special anymore, which is a bit of a shame in a way.
The ambience is something I do find lacking on a lot of modern trains, I get why you'd prefer the HSTs in that way.
I'm afraid the abundance of very workaday functional service offerings with most franchised train operators nowadays seems to me to be down to the DfT's meddling and constant edicts to maximise revenue, but that's for another thread.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
The ambience is something I do find lacking on a lot of modern trains, I get why you'd prefer the HSTs in that way.
I'm afraid the abundance of very workaday functional service offerings with most franchised train operators nowadays seems to me to be down to the DfT's meddling and constant edicts to maximise revenue, but that's for another thread.

Indeed. As I alluded to earlier, the functional service on South Eastern involves regular trains that operates for a sensible period of the day.

Sadly, for many in the country, the "functional" service involves infrequent services, poor connections, early finishing services etc.

One only has to live in the North for twenty years to appreciate a workaday TOC like South Eastern.

AlastairFraser

Established Member
Indeed. As I alluded to earlier, the functional service on South Eastern involves regular trains that operates for a sensible period of the day.

Sadly, for many in the country, the "functional" service involves infrequent services, poor connections, early finishing services etc.

One only has to live in the North for twenty years to appreciate a workaday TOC like South Eastern.
Agreed, I moved from growing up in Reading to Lancs a couple years ago and it has made me miss GWR/SWR/XC, which I didn't think was possible. But it was quietly reliable, frequent and cheap, something which I now realise I took for granted commuting on Northern on weekends.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Agreed, I moved from growing up in Reading to Lancs a couple years ago and it has made me miss GWR/SWR/XC, which I didn't think was possible. But it was quietly reliable, frequent and cheap, something which I now realise I took for granted commuting on Northern on weekends.

So did you find the non Northern TOC's or Northern preferable ?

Apologies, your post wasn't clea
Apologies, I see where you're coming from now :)

Yes Northern can be pretty ropey, particularly on weekends !.

My biggest problem with Northern is that it's just progressively worse than its predecessors.

Last edited:

cambsy

On Moderation
My favourite TOC, at at the moment is Greater Anglia, as their 755 and 745 Flirts, are really good units, pleasant to travel on, and have transformed travel on routes in East Anglia, I have covered lots of routes, I haven’t done in years, or at all, and though not in the poll, my other one is Lumo, as they are great price, and the best of the 800’s, and have allowed me do several trips to Edinburgh recently, due to their really cheap prices,the staff are really helpful, and friendly.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Non-Northern preferable (no offence staff, the last year has been pretty trying to get in to work)

Fair enough. I've commuted with them for years and they've been fine for that (I have other issues with Northern).

Last edited:

MattRat

On Moderation
As much as I like riding on Merseyrail, I voted TPE becuase they seem to have a vision of the future, which is what is needed for a modern railway. They've had issues, sure, but they haven't let it get to them, and always come back stronger than before. Merseyrail in comparison feels like business as usual, and while that can be adequate, I'm left wanting more.

GrimsbyPacer

Established Member
Also, TfL Rail is not a small operator - it's the main operator of commuter services into London so I really think it should have a place in the poll, instead of putting some non-National Rail operators here (as they aren't directly comparable to National Rail operators).
My only excuse from what I read, is they only had the Crossrail line which is still incomplete, and they are run by the same people as the much larger London Overground, so I assumed it would be less important to add than say the Docklands Light Railway, which I missed out, or the Tyne and Wear Metro which I did add, London travellers have a much higher range of options than other areas, I tried to keep it as broad as I could.
Sorry I didn't include them.

baz962

Established Member
My only excuse from what I read, is they only had the Crossrail line which is still incomplete, and they are run by the same people as the much larger London Overground, so I assumed it would be less important to add than say the Docklands Light Railway, which I missed out, or the Tyne and Wear Metro which I did add, London travellers have a much higher range of options than other areas, I tried to keep it as broad as I could.
Sorry I didn't include them.
I think you are confusing tfl with the actual operating companies. Overground is run by arriva for tfl and crossrail by MTR.

GrimsbyPacer

Established Member
I think you are confusing tfl with the actual operating companies. Overground is run by arriva for tfl and crossrail by MTR.
Okay, I am mistaken then, not been to London since 2005.
The only option on my list of 25 no one has voted for yet is Heathrow Express, should I change that option into TFL Rail, or DLR, or some other operator?

Edit, I am unable to edit any of the names already on the poll.

Last edited by a moderator:

gingerheid

Established Member
Is it legitimate to vote Greater Anglia because Stadler? Oh well, I did it anyway :)

Egg Centric

As one of the 1% who voted for C2C, I feel I should explain why.

Broadly speaking, there's two ways to choose a favouirte - minimise the worst case, or maximise the best case.

Most here are doing the latter, but I go for the former. And here C2C are doing good - they're not notoriously behaving in a wrong/annoying fashion (unlike almost all the other operators in their own ways) and generally seem quietly competent at running their intensive services.

Mind you I've only been on them a few times in the last couple of years so it's possible I have an inaccurate impression. Haven't seen any real complaints here though.

Obviously other TOCs do better with their 'best' but that isn't how I choose to answer.

Tractor86

All have issues but I voted Northern purely because a guard saved me from a rather dicey encounter with a drunk man recently

yorksrob

Veteran Member
As one of the 1% who voted for C2C, I feel I should explain why.

Broadly speaking, there's two ways to choose a favouirte - minimise the worst case, or maximise the best case.

Most here are doing the latter, but I go for the former. And here C2C are doing good - they're not notoriously behaving in a wrong/annoying fashion (unlike almost all the other operators in their own ways) and generally seem quietly competent at running their intensive services.

Mind you I've only been on them a few times in the last couple of years so it's possible I have an inaccurate impression. Haven't seen any real complaints here though.

Obviously other TOCs do better with their 'best' but that isn't how I choose to answer.

Not bad, considering they used to be called "the misery line" a couple of decades ago.

Llandudno

Established Member
As much as I like riding on Merseyrail, I voted TPE becuase they seem to have a vision of the future, which is what is needed for a modern railway. They've had issues, sure, but they haven't let it get to them, and always come back stronger than before. Merseyrail in comparison feels like business as usual, and while that can be adequate, I'm left wanting more.
Bit harsh on Merseyrail in non Covid times, clockface 15 minute service 0700-1900, every 30 minutes at other times on all lines, electrification to Ellesmere Port & Chester (albeit 20+years ago!)
Lots of new stations in recent years, plus work has started on Headbolt Lane.
Improved access to many stations, lifts, ramps etc
Fantastic value fares, especially after 0930
Entire fleet about to be replaced.

Yes, they could do more, but most of the possible improvements are outside the Merseytravel/Liverpool City Region area such as electrification to Wrexham/Skelmersdale/Burscough Curves/Helsby etc,

Compare Merseytravel/Merseyrail with the dismal local rail service in South Yorkshire.

Route115?

Its the old problem. I voted for London Underground (frequency, convenience). However when they have their moments, I.R. problems, etc it can quickly become my least favourite. Suspect right now that's true for operators such as TPE.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
LNER are the best in many areas but are actually the worst when it comes to Covid messaging, so there is no way I can bring myself to vote for them until they rectify that, as they spoil the travel experience.

Once they solve that and stop talking down to customers I would then vote for them

LiftFan

I voted LNER as they run such a good first class offering with decent ticket prices on a relatively frequent service pattern. GWR come in second, as their first class offering is a bit bare however still attentive and consistent, and again are running a pretty good frequency of services. GA are decent as they've managed to buy some of the only longer distance trains with comfortable seating and it's good to see a region with level boarding for disabled customers now.

VTWC were a good operator, it's fallen short though under Avanti. Keeping a shorter service pattern, and the ticket prices being high as they are doesn't really impress me, neither does their first class meal service which after breakfast you'll be hard pressed to find an offering with any meat in at all. CrossCountry are dreadful at the moment with overcrowding and overpriced tickets, although this hasn't changed in years.

MattRat

On Moderation
Bit harsh on Merseyrail in non Covid times, clockface 15 minute service 0700-1900, every 30 minutes at other times on all lines, electrification to Ellesmere Port & Chester (albeit 20+years ago!)
Lots of new stations in recent years, plus work has started on Headbolt Lane.
Improved access to many stations, lifts, ramps etc
Fantastic value fares, especially after 0930
Entire fleet about to be replaced.

Yes, they could do more, but most of the possible improvements are outside the Merseytravel/Liverpool City Region area such as electrification to Wrexham/Skelmersdale/Burscough Curves/Helsby etc,

Compare Merseytravel/Merseyrail with the dismal local rail service in South Yorkshire.
But TPE have simply done more, even where you think they couldn't. There are quite a few lines in the north being upgraded, that are spearheaded by TPE, pushing NR to make those upgrades. It would be nice if they could also push the Government to do better with HS2, but that would be a monumental task.

And maybe in the future Merseyrail will be in with a shot, when the new stations and stock and routes come, but they aren't here yet, so why judge them on things they haven't done? They haven't even been able to get the new stock into service because of the whole guard fiasco.

SouthWestMax

Unfortunately it feels like First Group have made the conscious effort to rip the heart out of South West Trains with SWR.
This is exactly what has happened. And it was always going to - just look back at First’s track record. Everything they touch goes down the drain. But the DfT don’t care, they’ll just go for whoever promises more profit. Department for Incompetence coming at you.

5 years ago this would have been an easy answer; South West Trains. Great service, fantastic brand identity, the trains were smart and very well kept and staff were always good. Soon as First/MTR took over it all fell apart, so no answer to the poll for me. I would be surprised if First/MTR keep the franchise when it’s up for renewal, in an ideal world Stagecoach would have it back as they know what they’re doing down there but that’s going off topic.

Paul Jones 88

I voted for Southeastern because I generally find the service to be reliable, the trains I most often use are 375s which are comfortable for a reasonably long distance, I find the staff are professional and friendly when I seek their assistance, however, I'd like to see the 376s and Networkers get some TLC.

DH1Commuter

LNER: yes, the Azumas are not as nice as their predecessors, but they tend to be clean, staff are both present and pleasant and their website makes booking/changing tickets much easier than before.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
LNER: yes, the Azumas are not as nice as their predecessors, but they tend to be clean, staff are both present and pleasant and their website makes booking/changing tickets much easier than before.

They certainly seem to be the only TOC serious about developing a good quality online booking system, rather than just outsourcing it (most TOCs) or developing a really bad quality one (Avanti and other Trenitalia TOCs).

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
I've voted for Northern, as of the two TOCs that I use regularly, they're the least poor. TPE let themselves down badly by treating the stoppers as the "ginger stepchild" of their network. Northern also lose points for cutting the Huddersfield to Casvegas trains and halving the frequency to Bradford, but the service on the Penistone line is as good as can be.

Nova1

I've still been enjoying Chiltern Railways, most services run as timetabled and I really enjoy how comfortable standard class is on the 168s.

Status
Not open for further replies.