• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Polmadie depot Eurotunnel generator vehicle

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kilmarnocklad

Does anyone happen to know what the number is of the Eurotunnel generator vehicle parked up outside at Polmadie depot?
Any ideas why it's there or it's future intended use? Only noticed it for the last couple of weeks as I haven't been travelling much for obvious reasons!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

On Moderation
Does anyone happen to know what the number is of the Eurotunnel generator vehicle parked up outside at Polmadie depot?
Any ideas why it's there or it's future intended use? Only noticed it for the last couple of weeks as I haven't been travelling much for obvious reasons!
I believe it's 96371. I think it is there to pre-heat the sleeper stock - rather handily the generator vans run at 1500V (European standard), as do the Mark 5 sleepers when hauled by the 92s.

Incidentally, it's never been a Eurotunnel generator van, it was Eurostar owned for the Nightstock services and is now owned by ERS (Eastern Rail Services).

trebor79

Established Member
Is that the one that was parked up at Doncaster works for many years? I think it was used for testing newly overhauled coaches there. No idea what ERS use it for.

alexl92

Established Member
I remember when the new CS stock was on order, there was a lot of discussion about the limited types of loco that would be able to haul the MK5 sets due to their higher ETS index. In theory (because there's probably no need for it!) could a MK3 genny van be used with a loco that had a lower ETS index to provide hotel power? E.g Could you then use say a Cl 91?

In europe ( UIC countries ) there are 4 ETH voltages, most coaches can use any of them.

1500V DC ( France DC lines and the Netherlands )
3000V DC ( Belgium and Italy )
1000V AC ( German and other 16.67hz Lines )
1500V AC ( mainly 25kv lines e.g Romania )

XAM2175

Established Member
I remember when the new CS stock was on order, there was a lot of discussion about the limited types of loco that would be able to haul the MK5 sets due to their higher ETS index. In theory (because there's probably no need for it!) could a MK3 genny van be used with a loco that had a lower ETS index to provide hotel power? E.g Could you then use say a Cl 91?
Off the top of my head the generator coaches had an ETH index of 140, compared to a Class 92's 180, so it might be possible depending on the exact amount of demand from the rake.

You would, however, need to address the fact that the Mk 5s use Dellner couplers.

Status
Not open for further replies.