• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Polmadie Virgin Vacancies - Any drivers already work there?

Status
Not open for further replies.

railman73

Hi,
I have seen that there are vacancies for drivers at Polmadie depot - working with Virgin.

I was thinking of applying, but was looking for some information on what the rota / rostering patterns were like. Currently work for ScotRail, so was looking to compare holidays / rest day patterns etc. Also about booking on in the morning - do you have to do this at Polmadie? How do you get back there at the end of the shift? if you are picking train up at Glasgow do you still have to go to Polmadie? Where to park for getting home at night?

Any information gratefully received -- thanks in advance.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Jusy to add to the above. The vacancies are for Qualified Mainline Drivers only.

scotraildriver

Established Member
I was interested in this too. My main question is do Virgin drivers have any fall back in the event of not being able to drive? I mean a failed medical (as I get older) Scotrail will, in the main, employ me in another role. Do Virgin have such a thing, or would you simply be made redundant, given that most Virgin stations are Network Rail and most depots are Alstom etc. I only ask as i had a blood pressure issue recently which unsettled me a touch!

I'm halfway through filling the application in. At the part where it asks for examples of customer service etc. Closing date is the 16th so plenty of time to get it completed.

Regardless of the shifts/rest day patterns it will be a far better job than driving for Scotrail i think. A bit of extra travelling to the depot but it will be worth it for a better job.

Likely to be alot of interest in these vacancies as Virgin rarely advertise - first time in 6 years I've been driving for Scotrail that I've seen jobs at Polmadie advertised.

MM81

I was interested in this too. My main question is do Virgin drivers have any fall back in the event of not being able to drive? I mean a failed medical (as I get older) Scotrail will, in the main, employ me in another role. Do Virgin have such a thing, or would you simply be made redundant, given that most Virgin stations are Network Rail and most depots are Alstom etc. I only ask as i had a blood pressure issue recently which unsettled me a touch!
Sent u a pm if uou could take a look,thanks.

bionic

What are the routes and traction? Obviously 390's and 221's and Glasgow Central to Preston. Do Polmadie drivers sign Edinburgh and Dumfries as well?

Can I also query the annual leave situation, the ASLEF site says five weeks plus twelve floating days. How do the five weeks work, are they in blocks that rotate each year and can be moved about to suit the individual if the quota for the desired block has not been filled?

godfreycomplex

Established Member
What are the routes and traction? Obviously 390's and 221's and Glasgow Central to Preston. Do Polmadie drivers sign Edinburgh and Dumfries as well?

I believe they do yes (although it's perhaps only a few links that do Dumfries)
Diversions also include via Wishaw/Bellshill; Shotts/Bailieston; Mount Florida & Hamilton Central. Empties have gone via Falkirk/Coatbridge on occasion as well

Well, that's my application completed and submitted. Just got to wait and see now. Im not overly confident due to having am overshoot from 2013 on my safety file, but hopefully it wont go against me and the rest of my info on the application goes in my favour.

hiall

With virgin it's a five-year clean record. My friend missed out on a job with east coast due to this.

With virgin it's a five-year clean record. My friend missed out on a job with east coast due to this.

Hopefully the rest of my application stands out despite the overshoot back in 2013 and I at least get an interview. I know a driver just away to VTEC from Scotrail with an incident less than 5 years ago so they must take into consideration the type of incident and the severity of it before making a decision.

8J

And also that VTEC are a completely different company with different policies.

hiall

Hopefully that is the case and it was just a false rumour about Queen street today. I wouldnt imagine they would advertise just for one job.

Hopefully that is the case and it was just a false rumour about Queen street today. I wouldnt imagine they would advertise just for one job.

Was speaking with a Polmadie driver at Central this morning. He is retiring next month and another in July. He was surprised they were advertising vacancies.

Their work pattern sounds pretty good. Especially the full week off which seens to be pretty regular.

hiall

For them to look externally i was expecting 6 jobs at least to be up for grabs. When I heard they have only got one I was a bit surprised. I honestly don't think they would look externally for one position but you never know. I don't know their rota at all. I would be quite interested to see how it differs from ours. I think the host of their jobs consists of GLC. - preston, have your pnb then back up the road.

Got the "sorry we are not taking your application forward this time. We wish you every success in future applications to Virgin Trains" email this afternoon. Other drivers at my depot who applied got similar.

hiall

Me too. Video interviews for the successful ones I'm told. It will be a great job for whoever gets it. Obviously not got the sliding scale policy but, for me, you can't live on what ifs. You just got to go for it and and that salary, I would gamble.

harihot

Does anyone know how many are getting video interviews with virgin for a driver job out of Polmadie depot? Has anyone on the forum been selected for video interview?

Does anyone know how many are getting video interviews with virgin for a driver job out of Polmadie depot? Has anyone on the forum been selected for video interview?

I know of at least 2 ScotRail drivers that have already had the video interview in the last few days. Seems they're moving quite quickly on them.

harihot

I know of at least 2 ScotRail drivers that have already had the video interview in the last few days. Seems they're moving quite quickly on them.
Thanks for that.Do you have any idea how many drivers they are taking on ?

harihot

No idea on numbers, all I know is they didnt want me and most of the other drivers i know who applied!
No idea on numbers, all I know is they didnt want me and most of the other drivers i know who applied!
Thanks for reply. I wonder if the video interviews will be followed by group interviews or whether Virgin will simply offer jobs to the drivers they want from the video interviews. I guess more information will come out sooner or later.

Status
Not open for further replies.