• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Pontefract Monkhill to Ferrybridge route

Status
Not open for further replies.

YorksLad12

Established Member
Hello,

I was musing on some of the usual Speculative Ideas threads on extending services from Castleford to York, when I recalled seeing a line from Monkhill northwards to Ferrybridge and on to York - the route the Dearne Valley Line services take (took), except they were coming up from Baghill.

As well as the northwards connection there was a southwards connection from Monkhill to Baghill, in use for passenger services until they were withdrawn in 1964. And now partly built over.

As far as I can make out though there were no regular passenger services northwards. There may have been some express or similar services but every timetable I've looked at so far for Ferrybridge has services running to Baghill, not Monkhill. Even my own Yorkshire Stations map doesn't show it as a route for passenger services, despite me being aware of the connection from seeing it on Google Maps.

The question is, then: do any of you know of regular passenger services on the route between Ferrybridge and Monkhill? I'd hate for my map to be inaccurate (not to mention the more speculative ideas of extending services from Monkhill to York, or Selby).

Edit. Replying to myself, but: using the National Library of Scotland side-by-side map thing, I can see that that curve didn't exist before 1970-ish, so either I've misread Wikipedia or it's wrong. Third Edition of the Yorkshire Stations map safely in reparation ;)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.