• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Poor Performance On HS1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doomotron

Has anyone noticed consistentmy bad performance on HS1 services recently? I spend much of my time commuting on mainline services running to and from Charing Cross and Victoria, yet despite the 'Victorian infrastructure' people complain about in the media there are almost no delays. However on the few days when I need to take St Pancras services more often than not they're delayed, sometimes by significant amounts that make me late to work. Has anyone else had experiences like this? I'm surprised this is the case since HS1 used to be praised for its high punctuality.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

extendedpaul

I travelled from St Pancras International back to Kent (Rainham) on HS1 last night. It's only an hourly service for much of the day since the pandemic, which means that the trains are always well loaded and sometimes full and standing when there's just one six carriage unit - fortunately they often run as a double.

Yesterday the 21.20 departure to Ramsgate via Faversham arrived into St Pancras as a 12 carriage train but 6 carriages were detached, then AFTER departure the train manager announced that neither toilet was in use as the waste tanks were full. He said something about passengers having to keep their legs crossed. The train was full with families and lots of Gillingham supporters. A very uncomfortable journey of up to two hours for some.

Dr Hoo

Established Member
Surely the previous post is about Southeastern, rather than HS1 infrastructure and punctuality.

NeilCr

I use it at least once a week - admittedly quite a short journey - Ramsgate - Canterbury W and back again - and have had few if any problems. During the school holidays I took the slower train. Mainly because when the HS1 came into Ramsgate at the time I was there it was pretty full with kids

Outside of that pattern it’s been fine too. Going to and from St Pancras Thursday so hope that continues!

zwk500

Veteran Member
I consider a lack of toilet facilities to be an example of poor performance just as much as reduced punctuality.
Would it have been better to take the set out of service instead of running the train with the toilets locked out?

Carlisle

Established Member
Would it have been better to take the set out of service instead of running the train with the toilets locked out?
Ive heard of toilet stops being organised by train crew &/or control in similar circumstances elsewhere, not sure what Southeastern’s policy is .

extendedpaul

There were no toilet stops as far as Rainham. One person in my carriage got off at Ebbsfleet complaining bitterly, would have had an hour's wait for the next train. I also heard a little girl keep telling her mum she needed the toilet. They got off at Chatham, no idea if that was their intended destination.

If all 4 toilets on both units were full and out of use that indicates an issue that needs addressing. If not I don't think the six coaches should have been removed at St Pancras.

Benjwri

Established Member
There were no toilet stops as far as Rainham. One person in my carriage got off at Ebbsfleet complaining bitterly, would have had an hour's wait for the next train. I also heard a little girl keep telling her mum she needed the toilet. They got off at Chatham, no idea if that was their intended destination.

If all 4 toilets on both units were full and out of use that indicates an issue that needs addressing. If not I don't think the six coaches should have been removed at St Pancras.
The question is would you prefer for everyone to have taken that second service 1 hour later? The other train that split at St Pancras will almost certainly have been going on to form another service, so the only alternative will have been to cancel one of those services. I don’t think many would’ve been happy hearing their train was cancelled because the toilet was full, I certainly don’t think they would be if they were told it was because another trains toilet was full

Established Member

Clearly it isn’t ideal, but St Pancras to Rainham (50 mins) isn’t an unduly long period without a toilet when you consider that Southeastern metro passengers on 701 and 376 services are expected to manage journeys of a similar length, for example London Charing Cross to Gillingham or Dartford, with no toilet facilities whatsoever.

I tend to agree with the posters suggesting that running the train with no toilets, as opposed to cancellation, is by far the lesser of two evils.

NeilCr

I just did Ramsgate - St Pancras and back again for the first time in a while. Ran on time both ways

Quite well loaded and there were people standing on the return journey from Stratford to Ashford

That was the 16.37 - SouthEastern's "how busy is my train" timetable states that the 17.20 and 17.50 are more lightly loaded. I found that mildly surprising but guess it's a reflection on people now working from home.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
It does seem that South Eastern still has a toilet problem - worse than any other TOC I use regularly.

I concur with the OP in that the classic services have tended to be reliable otherwise when I've used them.

DynamicSpirit

Established Member

I suspect most people would prefer it if SouthEastern kept a sufficient toilet maintenance schedule that they don't end up locking toilets out of use because of full waste tanks. :)

zwk500

Veteran Member
I suspect most people would prefer it if SouthEastern kept a sufficient toilet maintenance schedule that they don't end up locking toilets out of use because of full waste tanks. :)
Maybe, but that's a planning issue and what happened on the day, happened so you have to deal with it as you see it. Part of that will also depend on where SE can service the 395 toilets.

NeilCr

Going through Ramsgate at least once a week it is pretty normal to see more than one train with no accessible toilets - largely not HS1

I don’t know enough about it to be able to say whether that is about a loo being out of order or how the train is formed

kentrailman

I just did Ramsgate - St Pancras and back again for the first time in a while. Ran on time both ways

Quite well loaded and there were people standing on the return journey from Stratford to Ashford

That was the 16.37 - SouthEastern's "how busy is my train" timetable states that the 17.20 and 17.50 are more lightly loaded. I found that mildly surprising but guess it's a reflection on people now working from home.
The 1837 from St Pancras usually has twelve coaches so usually has seats available. ( but don't tell everyone .. Oops !). I try to time any trips so as to get that one. ( and the 0806 from Ashford in the morning which not only usually has 12 coaches but has the added attraction of not stopping at Ebbsfleet ).
Actually does anyone know how to find out which trains are 6 and which 12 coaches ? Real-time trains doesn't seem to say.

NeilCr

The 1837 from St Pancras usually has twelve coaches so usually has seats available. ( but don't tell everyone .. Oops !). I try to time any trips so as to get that one. ( and the 0806 from Ashford in the morning which not only usually has 12 coaches but has the added attraction of not stopping at Ebbsfleet ).
Actually does anyone know how to find out which trains are 6 and which 12 coaches ? Real-time trains doesn't seem to say.

The live departures and arrivals on the SouthEastern website usually gives this information

Obviously that’s on the day only but experience says that it’s a pretty good guide to what is usual

kentrailman

The live departures and arrivals on the SouthEastern website usually gives this information

Obviously that’s on the day only but experience says that it’s a pretty good guide to what is usual
Oh wow yes so it does thank you :) I had never looked there before !

CFRAIL

The Southeastern App is pretty good for this.

extendedpaul

Clearly it isn’t ideal, but St Pancras to Rainham (50 mins) isn’t an unduly long period without a toilet when you consider that Southeastern metro passengers on 701 and 376 services are expected to manage journeys of a similar length, for example London Charing Cross to Gillingham or Dartford, with no toilet facilities whatsoever.

I tend to agree with the posters suggesting that running the train with no toilets, as opposed to cancellation, is by far the lesser of two evils.
Rainham is just where I got off. The train was continuing to Ramsgate. Almost two hours journey time.

I assume the 6 carriages that were detached also had no working toilets but confirmation of that was not given. The train manager's advice to keep legs crossed was unhelpful.

Established Member
Rainham is just where I got off. The train was continuing to Ramsgate. Almost two hours journey time.

I assume the 6 carriages that were detached also had no working toilets but confirmation of that was not given. The train manager's advice to keep legs crossed was unhelpful.

Sorry, I thought you meant that was the first “comfort break”! I agree that ideally they would have offered toilet stops.

Status
Not open for further replies.