• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Poppies removed from SWT stations

Status
Not open for further replies.

A-driver

Established Member
Can't see this posted yet but quite a funny story. Obviously done with good intentions but by someone who hasn't quite thought it through (and probably has no actual operational railway experience)!

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/tran...on-to-avoid-signalling-problems-a3100781.html

Short quote below.

Large poppies were removed from a south-west London station amid fears train drivers may confuse them for red signals.

Baffled commuters snapped workmen removing the plastic poppies from pillars along the platform at Surbiton station days after they were installed.

They are believed to have been placed at the station by South West Trains over the weekend as a mark of respect to those killed in the line of duty ahead of Remembrance Day next month.

The poppies were welcomed by commuters, with Kevin Nolan tweeting: “Love the poppies #Surbiton.”

But another foresaw the potential pitfalls of their presence along the platform, posting: “Brave move what SWT have done putting big red poppies on platform pillars @ Surbiton although hope there's no signal sighting issues!”

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

jopsuk

Veteran Member
Have they in fact been removed because drivers themselves have suggested they're a problem?

A-driver

Established Member
Have they in fact been removed because drivers themselves have suggested they're a problem?

As far as I read it, yes. If you stick a great big red disk up on a platform it will cause problems. There have been a few emergency stops running into kings cross lately as drivers have seen a red flag waving at the top of the platform. Turned out on all occasions it was a member of staff running up the platform with their newly issued red virgin coat flapping about. I assume the poppies have caused a similar problem.

TDK

Established Member

That is pathetic as far as I am concerned, if a driver cannot notice the difference from a res signal and a poppy they shouldn't be in the job.

Matt Taylor

Established Member
It is not just about the signal, any red light, red flag or banner can be used to bring a train to an emergency stop and it doesn't have to be on a signal gantry.

I don't understand why everybody is getting so worked up, the poppies are simply being moved to alternate locations.

Of course had SWT not put them up in the first place nobody would be complaining, at least they have made a respectful effort.

Llanigraham

On Moderation
That is pathetic as far as I am concerned, if a driver cannot notice the difference from a res signal and a poppy they shouldn't be in the job.

And that goes to show how little you know about the railways!

The use of anything red near the line can easily be construed incorrectly, even by experienced drivers. In an emergency anything red can be waived at a driver so that they can (and will) stop.

The situation at this station shows that someone with no experience had a nice idea but didn't think it through. I note it has since been reported that the poppies have been put up in areas away from the track.

notadriver

Established Member
Just another way for the media and management to get a dig in at train crews.

Matt Taylor

Established Member
The use of anything red near the line can easily be construed incorrectly, even by experienced drivers. In an emergency anything red can be waived at a driver so that they can (and will) stop.

And let's not get started on cyclists with their red cycle lights turned on while on the platform!

anme

Established Member

That is the stupidest thing I've read this week.

D1009

Established Member
Might the issue have been that the poppies were actually obscuring the signal, in which case it wouldn't matter what colour they were?

A-driver

Established Member

Really? Very surprised you, as a driver yourself, would say anything like that. From a distance anything red will stand out and could lead to a driver, if not used to seeing it there, would believe a signal had gone back or it was an emergency stop signal. I once cautioned into a platform because a kid was holding a red balloon which was waving about. Very difficult to tell what a red object is from a distance.

Very, very surprised to hear such an ignorant comment from a driver. I fear I know other drivers like you with the 'superior' attitude.

ExRes

Established Member
Don't you just love Remembrance Day, every year it causes enough arguments to start a war

I like the white poppy idea but you have to remember that if it's made to wave violently in a sudden breeze then that is cause for an emergency stop as well ..........

meridian2

And that goes to show how little you know about the railways!

The situation at this station shows that someone with no experience had a nice idea but didn't think it through. I note it has since been reported that the poppies have been put up in areas away from the track.

I think that's slightly unfair; I can think of at least a couple of lineside platform signs, especially on 3rd rail routes, which are red, but we all have a right to speculate even if the bottom line is the reason is something to be respected.

TUC

Established Member

As far as I read it, yes. If you stick a great big red disk up on a platform it will cause problems. There have been a few emergency stops running into kings cross lately as drivers have seen a red flag waving at the top of the platform. Turned out on all occasions it was a member of staff running up the platform with their newly issued red virgin coat flapping about. I assume the poppies have caused a similar problem.
Funny how VTWC drivers seem to cope with the uniform

6Gman

Established Member
Don't you just love Remembrance Day, every year it causes enough arguments to start a war

And, of course, Remembrance Day is itself something of a misnomer.

November 11th is Armistice Day.

The Sunday nearest to the 11th is Remembrance Sunday.

HowardGWR

Established Member
And, of course, Remembrance Day is itself something of a misnomer.

November 11th is Armistice Day.

The Sunday nearest to the 11th is Remembrance Sunday.
Indeed, also, up until the 80s (about then) wearing a poppy was simply for letting street sellers and collectors know that you had already donated. Now it is used as a sort of badge. Very sympathetic to the points made by drivers and signalmen here.

A-driver

Established Member
Funny how VTWC drivers seem to cope with the uniform

Think it's more getting used to seeing them around the station. There have been incidents all over the country of red items of clothing and other red objects causing drivers to stop or slow up.

hounddog

Think it's more getting used to seeing them around the station. There have been incidents all over the country of red items of clothing and other red objects causing drivers to stop or slow up.

Must be a bugger on Great Northern when Arsenal are at home.

Tio Terry

Many years ago in BR days I had a cable jointer who took his anorak off and hung it on a post near a signal. It was dark blue but had a red lining, it moved in the wind resulting in a driver thinking it might be a red flag so made a full emergency brake application, it does happen! Seem to remember it was the Up Fenman.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.