• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Poppleton (York) Park and Ride

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deerfold

Veteran Member
Does anyone know if the closure of this site is long term?

Got some work next year near the site and was wondering if the 59 bus route is likely to return. If not, it'll be a drive, or a bit of a trek from the station.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

67thave

Does anyone know if the closure of this site is long term?

Got some work next year near the site and was wondering if the 59 bus route is likely to return. If not, it'll be a drive, or a bit of a trek from the station.
Seems like the intention is to reopen it sometime soon, as per enhanced partnership plans.

Seehof

I believe it is the only York Park and Ride that the council has to support financially. Also First York have made no secret of the fact that they do not have the bus drivers to restart it. Ironically, on the A59 approaching York there are still signs advertising it!
They are building a large estate of new houses just before the bypass roundabout as you leave York and what with a busy Business Park a short walk away they should restart it.
But at the moment in York there are some concerns about the future of some services and routes.

Being as vague as I can as to not get in trouble - the aim is to re-open it, and indeed was to have already had it re-opened.

It was used on bonfire night (picture attached)IMG_1141.pngDepending on when next year, and how close to the site, it may be worthwhile getting the Number 10 or 5/5A (or even the less frequent 22/23 transdev run)

As I was writing this comment, seehof mentioned financial support from the council - he's not far off ;)

Seehof

In my view and this is only my opinion, with financial pressures together with bus patronage that has not returned to pre Covid levels and a constant shortage of drivers I cannot see it returning in the short to medium term.
I have often tried to think as to whether there is any way that the 5 group or 10 could be extended or looped somehow to serve the site but have never come up with a satisfactory answer!

Status
Not open for further replies.