• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Port of Tyne expanding

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

high camera

A couple of unique (elevated) shots of Tyne dock movements earlier this week, quite proud of the autumnal view

Tyne%20dock%20autumn2-L.jpg

tynedock-L.jpg

Last edited:

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
The measuring gizmo on Google Earth reckons it is about 800 metres from the junction of the east and west curves to the pylon, how does that compare to the usual train lengths?

Is there a possibility that the signal shown could be repositioned nearer the end of the doubled section?

cawky22

I tried to mesure a train and I think they are about 480 metres . if you look at the loop at East Boldon that can hold 21 wagons and its is about 485 metres .This would make the loop at Green lane excessive , unless they are going to double the track down to the existing double track just up the bank from the railway Bridge .

dysonsphere

Well I would say that pylon is right in the way makes you wonder why they were allowed to put base there. :oops:

JohnCarlson

I tried to mesure a train and I think they are about 480 metres . if you look at the loop at East Boldon that can hold 21 wagons and its is about 485 metres .This would make the loop at Green lane excessive , unless they are going to double the track down to the existing double track just up the bank from the railway Bridge .

Well I suppose they are not going to deliberately build a loop that is to short. :)

Are they talking of trains of up to 23 wagons with each wagon being longer than what is previously been used? This seems to me to be longer than the loop at Green Lane, and presumably they would want to plan for the future as well.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Well I would say that pylon is right in the way makes you wonder why they were allowed to put base there. :oops:

The way they though in those days was that if they didn't need a rail line then, they were never going to need it in the future.
If you look at the current image on Google Earth there is a freight train on it at the new loop looks long enough.

cawky22

Well I suppose they are not going to deliberately build a loop that is to short. :)

Are they talking of trains of up to 23 wagons with each wagon being longer than what is previously been used? This seems to me to be longer than the loop at Green Lane, and presumably they would want to plan for the future as well.

The way they though in those days was that if they didn't need a rail line then, they were never going to need it in the future.
If you look at the current image on Google Earth there is a freight train on it at the new loop looks long enough.

I will try and ask what is happening when I pass Green Lane .

SGS

The new IIA-D biomass magons are supposed to be 18.9m in length. So 23 of those, plus a Class 66, would be about 456m. Getting a train up the bank out of Tyne Dock is already a struggle in the wet, so it might be difficult to extend train lengths any further.

JohnCarlson

The new IIA-D biomass magons are supposed to be 18.9m in length. So 23 of those, plus a Class 66, would be about 456m. Getting a train up the bank out of Tyne Dock is already a struggle in the wet, so it might be difficult to extend train lengths any further.

Not sure if Biomass trains are supposed to be lighter as wood weighs less than coal.

JohnCarlson

Some photos of the loop under construction today.

It looks as if the loop will rejoin the running track before the pylon and judging by eye on the Class 66 hauled train that went past it will be long enough for a 23 wagon train.

John

Attachments

• TyneDock2.jpg
    TyneDock2.jpg
    360.9 KB · Views: 76
  • Tyne Dock loop.jpg
    Tyne Dock loop.jpg
    145.6 KB · Views: 74
  • Tyne Dock loop 3.jpg
    Tyne Dock loop 3.jpg
    418.4 KB · Views: 71

Jonny

Established Member

As someone who knows his pylons, it looks like an 'older' design so it has most likely been there for a long time. In fact some nearby pylons on the same 'line' with additional elevation over the Tyne are a long-standing landmark.

JohnCarlson

As someone who knows his pylons, it looks like an 'older' design so it has most likely been there for a long time. In fact some nearby pylons on the same 'line' with additional elevation over the Tyne are a long-standing landmark.

I believe I have seen photos of the Pylons with ex NER steam locos running past.

The cross Tyne pylons are indeed a local landmark. I wonder if much of the rest of the cabling could now go UG.

cawky22

Not sure if Biomass trains are supposed to be lighter as wood weighs less than coal.

A biomass woodpellet train using the same wagons as what the coal is carried in ( sorry dont know there name ) is abou 1250 tonne of cargo where as a the same train with coal would be carrying about 1800 tonne . Now that the new Drax woodpellet wagons are coming into use these will carry about the same weight as a coal train https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nOJuvkzijLA

dysonsphere

The cross Tyne pylons are indeed a local landmark. I wonder if much of the rest of the cabling could now go UG.

Apart from the much higher cost you get over heating problems with underground cables. So you either need much bigger cables or more of them or a mix of both. In London someone had the bright idea of running under canal tow paths and using canal water for cooling, however that's a special case. Pylon supply is by far the cheapest option.

cawky22

Two photos showing that a little more progress has been made on tracklaying. It can be seen that the pylon is an impediment to the new line, unless the existing line were to be realigned. So this might be where the loop is going to end.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/stuartstransport/10905933166/in/photostream
http://www.flickr.com/photos/stuartstransport/10905935286/in/photostream/
The points are now installed on the North ( the part nearest the port) end of the loop , maybe the other ste will be fitted tomorrow night !

cawky22

here are some photos of a train on the new track

Attachments

• IMAG0209.jpg
    IMAG0209.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 78
  • IMAG0211.jpg
    IMAG0211.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 69
  • IMAG0212.jpg
    IMAG0212.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 69

dysonsphere

thx cawky, the exit from the loop at the pylon end looks a bit odd as there seems to be a what I could only call a kink after the o
points.

L&Y Robert

How much of the biomass being hauled equates to the amount of diesel required to haul it? One could extend the question to include the fuel the ship burns to get to the UK.

cawky22

How much of the biomass being hauled equates to the amount of diesel required to haul it? One could extend the question to include the fuel the ship burns to get to the UK.
Slightly less than coal as biomass is lighter .
Intresting were the first set of points spring loaded.

Here is the drivers reply :-

Yes you can run through them

deltic08

On Moderation
Slightly less than coal as biomass is lighter .

Yes biomass is lighter than coal but the new wagons allow the same weight as coal to be hauled. Additionally biomass is only half the calorific value of coal so twice as much is required for the same generation output.

Status
Not open for further replies.