• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Portsmouth Harbour- Platform 2.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flying Claret

Hello, hope everyone is safe and well. I was just wondering if anyone knew the reasons for platform 2 being taken out of use at Portsmouth Harbour? I think (but could be wrong) that the track has also been removed. Is it to do with the structure, as it's essentially built on a pier, or was it for operational reasons?
Is there any prospect or benefit to bringing it back into use to assist with capacity, or wouldn't it make much of a difference...

Any info is appreciated...

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
This comes up every so often on here. The structure is indeed the reason it is out of use, however I cannot find a date for it (though I am sure it has been said before, I'll have a dig).

I suspect the low level platforms at Portsmouth & Southsea could handle any additional capacity demands (3tph across two platforms during the non-Covid timetable), though Harbour is arguably more useful for many punters.

I suspect the requisite work at Harbour falls into the 'too expensive for too little return' box.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Concur that it’s been explained as a structural problem a few times over the years.

Romsey

Platforms 3 to 5 were rebuilt in 1945/46 repairing the wartime bomb damage. Platforms 1 & 2 were apparently OK at the time. Best part of 30 years on and it was found that they were in poor condition and loco hauled workings were banned from platform 1 by the mid 1980's. From memory, the track in platform 2 was removed as part of the track renewals as part of the resignalling scheme in the early 2000's.

ajs

Platform 2, was taken out of use in the early 1990s following repairs to the pier.

MikePJ

Hi folks - I used Portsmouth Harbour daily between 1991 and 1996 (going to school!) and the station was refurbished during that time, with the platform being taken out of use. The refurbishment occurred in stages, with platforms being taken out of use in turn whilst the supporting structure underneath was refurbished and repainted, and then the track put back - all except platform 2. I recall (though we're talking a long time ago) that it was a structural issue and was deemed not worth the money. I believe the work was completed sometime around 1995, but definitely before the summer of 1996.

I do remember seeing the track being laid, because it was the first time I'd seen thermite welding! Very exciting to see at close hand...

Status
Not open for further replies.