• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Possible changes for service provision along the south TPE corridor via the Hope Valley

Status
Not open for further replies.

MML

Moderator note: Split from https://www.railforums.co.uk/threads/why-no-new-stock-for-the-southern-tpe-route.196530/

If the Cleethorpes to Manchester Airport service is operated hourly by 6-car units, presumably it would be possible to have only a 3-car unit continue between Piccadilly and the Airport. It would involve splitting and joining units at Piccadilly every hour. But on the face of it, reduce the required stock by 1 x 3-car unit.

If TPE run the LIV-NOT then I guess this means a half-hour TPE frequency between Sheffield and Piccadilly.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

timothyw9

If the Cleethorpes to Manchester Airport service is operated hourly by 6-car units, presumably it would be possible to have only a 3-car unit continue between Piccadilly and the Airport. It would involve splitting and joining units at Piccadilly every hour. But on the face of it, reduce the required stock by 1 x 3-car unit.
If TPE run the LIV-NOT then I guess this means a half-hour TPE frequency between Sheffield and Piccadilly.

I believe that to be correct. The main reason for them splitting at Piccadilly will be due to the lack of space at MIA because of the 5 car sets taking up platform space that means not much else will fit on the platforms.

Might be some problems getting people on the right half of the train for the Airport doing that however.

Also, lord only knows how they would fit splitting a unit into the already tight timetable. The xx07 (MIA) is supposed to arrive at xx02 but from experience that never happens because of congestion at Slade Lane Jn, and if it isnt readly to leave by xx07, they let the Cleethorpes in first so that the Styal Line doesn't get blocked. At the same time if the 51/55/01 Airport services are running late they normally let them through 13 first.

Would make so much more sense to sod the Airport and just run it MAN-CLE.

Last edited:

BHXDMT

I believe that to be correct. The main reason for them splitting at Piccadilly will be due to the lack of space at MIA because of the 5 car sets taking up platform space that means not much else will fit on the platforms.

Might be some problems getting people on the right half of the train for the Airport doing that however.

Also, lord only knows how they would fit splitting a unit into the already tight timetable. The xx07 (MIA) is supposed to arrive at xx02 but from experience that never happens because of congestion at Slade Lane Jn, and if it isnt readly to leave by xx07, they let the Cleethorpes in first so that the Styal Line doesn't get blocked.

That's correct, from next week most if not all 6 cars will drop 3 off at Piccadilly and pick them back up there. It's going to be chaos, especially as coming into Piccadilly Coaches ABC have all the reservations and have to be at the front due to the short platforms between Cleethorpes and Sheffield. So nearly all pax for the Airport will need to move at Piccadilly. And you're correct, there is no extra time for attaching and detaching.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Problem is a lot of people are keen to retain a direct service to the airport, so this won't be a popular move!

If they're having to swap between units, it wouldn't be much more of a faff to pick up another Airport service. I genuinely think these reversals would be better terminating at Picc, leaving Ringway to the services via Ordsall. Would remove a train crossing the entire formation, too. And the unit freed up (I think it'd only be one or is it two?) could strengthen something else.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
You're probably right, but will it be politically acceptable? People from Sheffield, Doncaster and other areas served by these trains will be up in arms at being told they no longer have direct trains to the Airport.

I agree it would be better for the majority if they didn't, from a reliability perspective.

Status
Not open for further replies.